My thoughts on Unity

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Re: My thoughts on Unity

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:08 am

mj12games wrote:Tracking would have to be starship-based, and not a weapon trait, as the results of a Stealth roll apply to all weapons on the attacking ship.

Hmm, fair enough. So it'd be something like an Advanced Tracking System...
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

TeknoMerk
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby TeknoMerk » Thu May 04, 2017 1:52 pm

[catching up from the original post]

Your universe can have any tech level range you want, and it's easy to change. Dan has the cost formula in the AE rules, page 42. It only took 10 minutes to re-calculate the costs and alter the Unity Dry Dock to change from -2/+2 to -3/+3 tech level range.

Cinematic movement: I also like this type of movement in my space fleet games, since it's simple enough to allow the player to think more about tactics than movement mechanics. In my case, this means the Full Thrust cinematic movement rules. I need to walk through the Unity movement rules again to see if there is anything I want to borrow. Note that I also play campaigns with sub-light engine technology (Basic/Advanced/Gravimetric). The more advanced engine techs allow for less forward movement before turning.
<> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= <>

TeknoMerk

falstaffe
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby falstaffe » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Speaking of movement...

Looking over the Unity rules, it looks like movement is fairly limited in terms of what you can do in a single turn: generally in one direction, all turns in the same direction. So, no Millennium Falcon-style slaloming though asteroid fields, correct?

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Look in the appendix for the different movement options - I think "free form turns" might fit what you are looking for.

I actually really like the default movement system combined with plotting movement. If we were playing sequential, I'd probably go with free form.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu May 11, 2017 3:00 pm

falstaffe wrote:Looking over the Unity rules, it looks like movement is fairly limited in terms of what you can do in a single turn: generally in one direction, all turns in the same direction. So, no Millennium Falcon-style slaloming though asteroid fields, correct?

Not exactly. Slaloming is possible, but it requires the use of sideslips.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Alex Knight
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Alex Knight » Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm

falstaffe wrote:Speaking of movement...

Looking over the Unity rules, it looks like movement is fairly limited in terms of what you can do in a single turn: generally in one direction, all turns in the same direction. So, no Millennium Falcon-style slaloming though asteroid fields, correct?

And you're looking at the wrong scale for slaloming. Fighters, I think, can slalom. Which is the scale the Falcon would be at. What does a starship do? Shoot the darn asteroids that are too big to not cause catastrophic damage, and not worry about the ones that will cause minor damage.

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Fri May 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Side slips are also oh-so-important using the default movement system. Its the only way to turn if you want to be flying around at high speeds (i.e. more than your engine rating).

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri May 12, 2017 6:37 pm

That's the part I'm perhaps most happy with. :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Starmada”