Postby jimbeau » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 am

Now you hadda get me going didn't you?

http://www.guinnessblog.com

mmmm beer

tabascojunkie
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby tabascojunkie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:48 am

I've become a big fan of Hefeweizen lately. I found one called Pyramid that's really good.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 am

Not a beer guy - Sake' for me, thanks!
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

japridemor
Commander
Commander

Sake

Postby japridemor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm

thedugan wrote:Not a beer guy - Sake' for me, thanks!

Isn't Sake actually more of a beer? I know it is usually refered to as rice wine but it shares most characteristics of beer, not wine. Beer is made from grains (wheat, barley, rice) while wine is made from plant juices (grapes). Wine is single fermented while beer (including sake) is fermented multiple times. The big difference is that in sake the enzymes for starch conversion come from a mold and not malt. Like all beers, Sake is best served fresh, it doesn't age like wine, quickly spoiling if unrefrigerated.
James Pridemore
"In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro." -- Thomas A. Kempis

japridemor
Commander
Commander

Pale Ale

Postby japridemor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:40 pm

I used to like darker stouts and porters but over the last decade I have switched to preferring several excellent pale ales. I especially seem to like the pale ales with more hops as in IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...mmmmn
Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA..not so much, too hoppy and bitter
Redhook's Hammer IPA...mmmnn
Bass Pale Ale....mmmnn
James Pridemore

"In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro." -- Thomas A. Kempis

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Sake

Postby thedugan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:21 pm

japridemor wrote:
thedugan wrote:Not a beer guy - Sake' for me, thanks!

Isn't Sake actually more of a beer? I know it is usually refered to as rice wine but it shares most characteristics of beer, not wine. Beer is made from grains (wheat, barley, rice) while wine is made from plant juices (grapes). Wine is single fermented while beer (including sake) is fermented multiple times. The big difference is that in sake the enzymes for starch conversion come from a mold and not malt. Like all beers, Sake is best served fresh, it doesn't age like wine, quickly spoiling if unrefrigerated.

Beer and Sake are fermented MULTIPLE times? I've read 'recipes' for brewing and never saw that - mold, not malt? Hmm.. things to google...

Decent Sake' doesn't need to be refrigerated. I keep mine over the dryer in the laundry closet, and it's fine - it's like 15.6% alcohol. Maybe that cheap chinese crap spoils....never had that happen to me with Gekkeikan. But then, they don't usually sit more than a couple of weeks after I open them. :)

I do know that Gekkeikan is about the only one I can stand - and honestly, the only one I've SEEN besides those nasty Chinese 'Rice Wines' that are just - putrid.... :x

..maybe I'll get one if I see it, and see if heating it properly (approximately body temperature + about 2 degrees) makes it any better. The ones I tried back in the '80's while at Pearl Harbor were just NASTY...

But get me a bottle of Gekkeikan, though, and I'm one mellow guy - well, that, or Meyer's Rum Creme. I've not even heard of any of the other things mentioned - except Guiness.

Dark beers tend to make my tummy upset.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

bekosh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Pale Ale

Postby bekosh » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:21 pm

japridemor wrote:I used to like darker stouts and porters but over the last decade I have switched to preferring several excellent pale ales. I especially seem to like the pale ales with more hops as in IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...mmmmn
Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA..not so much, too hoppy and bitter
Redhook's Hammer IPA...mmmnn
Bass Pale Ale....mmmnn

If you like beer with a lot of hops, try Bell's Hopslam. It's a double pale ale with a serious bite. http://www.bellsbeer.com/index.php/brands.html
Paul
Carpe Dementia!

tabascojunkie
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby tabascojunkie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:40 am

Working on Pyramid Hefeweizen number 2 right now.

Nahuris
Captain
Captain

Postby Nahuris » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:02 am

Pretty much the only things I drink are Hobgoblin Ale.... a really nice English Ale, or Japanese Plum Wine....

Not much of a drinker

Nahuris
Retreating? Hell no, we're just attacking in the other direction......!!

Return to “Discussion”