new Sovereign Stars?

Empire-building among the stars
Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Vienna

new Sovereign Stars?

Postby Enpeze » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Does MJ12 plan to rejuvenate their Sovereign Stars game? It would be fine to hear, because I really liked it.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: new Sovereign Stars?

Postby mj12games » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Enpeze wrote:Does MJ12 plan to rejuvenate their Sovereign Stars game? It would be fine to hear, because I really liked it.


Yes. The intent is there.

But I have no time frame.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

hundvig
Commander
Commander
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:59 pm

Postby hundvig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:17 pm

Well, get on with it. I need something to replace the cold, dead spot Twilight Imperium 3 left in my heart. :)

Rich

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Postby Enpeze » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:57 pm

hundvig wrote:Well, get on with it. I need something to replace the cold, dead spot Twilight Imperium 3 left in my heart. :)

Rich


Didnt you like the new TI3?

To Dan: It would be very "leiwond" to have a new, streamlined version of sovereign stars. I liked the newly designed sovereign hex-tiles you posted very much.

hundvig
Commander
Commander
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:59 pm

Postby hundvig » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Enpeze wrote:
hundvig wrote:Well, get on with it. I need something to replace the cold, dead spot Twilight Imperium 3 left in my heart. :)

Rich


Didnt you like the new TI3?


I like parts of it better than the earlier editions, but the actual game play leaves me very, very cold. TI *should* be about massive fleet clashes, planetary invasions, and grinding the life out of your enemies. All of which are great ways to lose the game, unfortunately. To actually win, you have to play turtle a lot, carefully make sure that you take the Imperial strategy when it's your turn to do so, and fight only when you have to to earn VPs or deny them to others...which isn't often. About all an agressive warlord can do is take somebody with him to defeat while everyone else surges ahead on VPs.

A clever game in a lot of ways, but unrewarding to play as it stands. Badly in need of the (overdue) expansion to give us some victory conditions that encourage actually using your fleets more than once or twice a game.

Rich

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Postby thedugan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Enpeze wrote: "leiwond"


What does that mean?
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Postby Enpeze » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 pm

hundvig wrote:
Enpeze wrote:
hundvig wrote:Well, get on with it. I need something to replace the cold, dead spot Twilight Imperium 3 left in my heart. :)

Rich


Didnt you like the new TI3?


I like parts of it better than the earlier editions, but the actual game play leaves me very, very cold. TI *should* be about massive fleet clashes, planetary invasions, and grinding the life out of your enemies. All of which are great ways to lose the game, unfortunately. To actually win, you have to play turtle a lot, carefully make sure that you take the Imperial strategy when it's your turn to do so, and fight only when you have to to earn VPs or deny them to others...which isn't often. About all an agressive warlord can do is take somebody with him to defeat while everyone else surges ahead on VPs.

A clever game in a lot of ways, but unrewarding to play as it stands. Badly in need of the (overdue) expansion to give us some victory conditions that encourage actually using your fleets more than once or twice a game.

Rich


The same feeling I have about this game. I liked the 2nd edition much more. Unfortunately I sold it shortly before 3rd ed. came out. I sold the 3rd ed. too. It was not that bad, but a little bit too boring to me. I have many other games I prefer (like Fortress America or Starmada :))

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Postby Enpeze » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:31 pm

thedugan wrote:
Enpeze wrote: "leiwond"


What does that mean?


Leiwond means "great". Its Vienna slang. :)


Return to “The Sovereign Stars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests