Frame Cards

The sci-fi Universal Skirmish System

Moderator: Demian Rose

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Frame Cards

Postby Sirrob01 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

thanks tnjrp, least I know I've read and understood it right :).

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Sirrob01 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:49 am

All infantry frames are now working, I divided the infantry up into 6 subtypes:

SI -Size 1/2 DC 1
PI - Size 1/2 DC 1
SI Size 3 DC 2
PI Size 3 DC 2
SI Size 3 DC 3
PI Size 3 DC 3

This does leave some blank options ie the way the cards setup you could set Size to 1 and DC to 3 and as there are no frames available for that combo no pick list is available. So it's handy to have the book around so you can follow the army builder and not pick a null combo. This also helps keep the pick lists down to a more manageable level as well.

The overall army setup page is also working so I'm approximately halfway done, I suspect vehicles will be quicker as I can re-use most if not all the infantry code simply by adding some new categories. I'll see if I can get all vehicles working by the end of the weekend :)

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Sirrob01 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm finalizing up the vehicle building components, basically just the value calculation formula to do. Just a quick question

my interpretation is vehicle calculations work like this:
(basepv x dc) + (sdcpv x sdcpoints) = basic frame cost (bfc)
then
bfc x field cost = field cost addition(fca)

for a total frame cost of
bfc + fca = total

Its the field cost I really want checked/confirmed as the examples don't seem to have a complex multi dc/sdc example and including the sdc as part of the base cost adds to the field save pv total.

ie I've assumed it doesn't work like this:
basepv x dc = bfc
bfc x field cost = fca
(sdcpv*sdcpoints) + bfc + fca = total

although following the explicit build rules sdc does come at step 3 so the above could be right, although the examples over the page seem to indicate the first is correct.

I've never built an afv/apc with field saves.... 8-)

edit---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry missed a Q
Rounding when does it occur?
If I had a complex apc vehicle with different front to side rear armour and field saves.

When does rounding occur?
Do I round up at each step
ie
calculate basepv and roundup
calculate field save cost and round up
add it all together.
or does rounding only occur at the end
calculate basepv
calculate base field save
total and then roundup

I relies this only makes a 1pv difference in a worst case but I'd like to get it right. For the moment I'm assumign the first method, I've also made the assumption that sdc is always purchased at the more expensive frame cost similar to hero costs for infantry.

edit---------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the above assumptions are correct vehicles are now done. I'll move along to weapon frames next

smokingwreckage
Commodore
Commodore

Postby smokingwreckage » Sun May 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I assumed that SDC didn't contribute to the FS cost. I'm not sure about the rounding though; whatever you go with is probably OK. 1PV isn't going to make much difference to a 100+ PV vehicle.
-Sam

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Sirrob01 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks Sam :)

I took a little break from scripting but got back into it, I have weapons and combo weapon sorted. Weapons I just have to write the PV totaling calculation. Then I'll move to combo weapons, bit of work there as I need to adjust the template so it can take 4 subframes then it's just duplicate all the rules for weapon on each subframe of a weapon combo.

Then air strikes, grenades and cdw's to go and the first rough draft should be done. (forgot also need to correct the export script a little)

Probably something like 10-25 hours of effort to go, depending on how dedicated I can be :)

smokingwreckage
Commodore
Commodore

Postby smokingwreckage » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm

If you get this finished you'll be the first. But most other attempts have been spreadsheets.
-Sam

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Sirrob01 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 am

I've just discovered a way of resetting fields if an earlier field is played with rendering that choice "illegal".

example
Say I start to design a weapon and set the IR to 4 then I decide I want it to be phase (an earlier choice), changing the earlier choice to phase will reset the IR back to default.

Now the question becomes do I do this kind of check at the army SR/TR level as well.
example
I start of with yes I can build phase weapons and design up 4 unique frames, later I decide I don't want phase weapons and adjust that field back to none. I could make it so those 4 designed weapons will also part rest, I say part as what it'd do is just turn them into identical stat'd frames but no longer phase, the phase box would be reset to "no" and the corresponding PV would then update to reflect the non phase pv cost.

Problem with the above is if you adjusted something by mistake you'd need to go back and reedit the affected frames. the risk of not doing it is you forget about a frame and end up with an illegal army. At the moment I'm leaning towards were I can do the reversion as hopefully if you did make a mistake you could just reload your army file.

The other problem with the above is it's a bundle more script code meaning more time to finish, however so this doesn't turn into vapourware I can upload a alpha version (after I get base weapons working) for people (okay Sam :) ) to play with while I continue to work on changes. The risk with that will be an army designed on the alpha version probably wont load properly on later versions and naturally there will be a pile of bugs and stuff not working 100% :)

thoughts?

Sirrob01
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Sirrob01 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 am

Base weapons are done at last hopefully...

Onto the redesign of the combo weapon layout and get the code fully working.

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I have to say this is quite exciting. If you need any help with testing for errors I'd be happy to help out.

-Tim

Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trent » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:03 am

I'm with Tim on this...super excited!
I can't code (well), but I do QA testing at work. If you need a tester let me know!

Return to “Defiance”