Yet another B5 Thread

A home for player-designed starships.
MRCAcct
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Yet another B5 Thread

Postby MRCAcct » Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Hm, I appear to have forgotten to post this down-thread.

Rather than having people hunt for my conversions, I'm going to post them at the beginning of the thread in my original post. Any additions or updates will be found there.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 am

bekosh wrote:The Sharlin sheet that I have lists 24 fighters and 4 flyers. So 4 flights of fighters +1 flight for the Combat Flyers.
All of my B5Wars stuff comes from Babylon 5 Wars Vault

The SPB and the Fusion cannon are nearly identical in B5W except that the SPB has better Fire Control ratings (SPB +4/+4/+4, FC +3/+3/+4) hence the SPB 3+ ACC and the FC 4+ ACC.

I used the Fire Control vs Medium ships for ACC.

Code: Select all

ACC     B5W Fire control vs Medium ships
2+          +5
3+          +4
4+          +3
5+          +1 or +2
6+          0

I know that B5W uses a d20 for to hit so this really magnifies the differences in Fire Control (d6=16.6% per point, d20=5%), but if you try to squeeze it down at 3-1 everything homogenizes out and all the weapons end up at 3+ or 4+ and nothing much outside of that.

:oops:

I confused it with the Primus or G'Quan, didn't I? Oh, well, it has been a while since I looked at my B5W stuff...
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

MRCAcct
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby MRCAcct » Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

So I've converted my files to PDFs and loaded them into a new thread. I've also got the 4 major "young" races done as well.

The one hiccup I've hit so far is the point values for the larger Minbari and Earth ships. The Sharlin comes in at 1052, the Earth Omega at 736 (and these aren't the largest, being 1265 and 1444 respectively), while the largest of the Centauri and Narn capital ships come in at 778 (Octurion Battleship) and 612 (Bin'Tak Dreadnought). Of course the EA and the Minbari do have more defenses (interceptors and stealth respectively) but still, I'm seeing a skewing in the values.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

bekosh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby bekosh » Mon May 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Those numbers seem pretty reasonable to me. The Sharlin really is a beast compared to the ships of the younger races and the EA Omega, even though called a "Destroyer" is really the EA's dreadnought class ship and should be comparable to the Octurion and the Bin'Tak.
Paul
Carpe Dementia!

KDLadage
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KDLadage » Mon May 08, 2017 1:32 pm

MRCAcct wrote:I'm seeing a skewing in the values.

As compared to... what? If you mean as compared to the values given in B5Wars.... ignore that. Dan's math-fu is vastly superior to AoG's estimation-(feel-good)-fu. Nothing against AoG, mind you... but their battle point values were vastly askew in places.
Last edited by KDLadage on Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDLadage
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KDLadage » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 pm

bekosh wrote:Those numbers seem pretty reasonable to me. The Sharlin really is a beast compared to the ships of the younger races and the EA Omega, even though called a "Destroyer" is really the EA's dreadnought class ship and should be comparable to the Octurion and the Bin'Tak.

This.

TeknoMerk
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby TeknoMerk » Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm

JMS openly admitted that he did not completely understand (or even care) about military classifications. This led to a confusion of B5 ship classes and military ranks in the show, and it also affects when folks like us want to create something representing the show we love.

The Hyperion "cruiser" is more like a destroyer class, the Omega "destroyer" is equivalent to a heavy cruiser/light carrier (trades weapons for some fighters), and the Nova is truly a dreadnought. Some may disagree, but that is how I see it with weapon and defense loadouts and compared to the general principles of US Navy ships.
<> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= <>

TeknoMerk

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 am

@MRCAcct: I was looking through the EA ships (a cursory look, nothing more) and noticed the Olympus Gunship has a phantom Class-S Missile Rack battery (i.e., the stats listed but no batteries). I'm guessing its a simple copy-paste error, given that it doesn't have missile racks in B5W.
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

MRCAcct
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby MRCAcct » Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:noticed the Olympus Gunship has a phantom Class-S Missile Rack battery

D'oh! Yeah, it was a mistake (that I usually catch). I do multiple ships of the same 'class'; start with one, copy Drake notation, go back, modify to next one ('cause most ships have same arcs, different weapons).

MRCAcct
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby MRCAcct » Wed May 10, 2017 4:12 am

KDLadage wrote:As compared to... what?

I was hoping that the four "popular" ships would come out roughly even in terms of point values (I blame it on too much SFB, where the Fed CA and the Klingon D7 were designed to be pretty evenly matched).

I'm also looking at making some major changes to my conversion "formulas". Part of this has come from my finally tracking down some stats for B5 ACTA ships (and older Starmada AE conversions) and realizing that some of my weapons may need some tweaking.

The Narn Mag Gun for example. Decent weapon (point wise), but by my B5Wars conversion is terribly short ranged (6 hexes, on par with most light weapons)*. Most other conversions give it a much better range. Piercing-mode weapons I'm thinking of changing as well, halving DMG and adding Catastrophic. There's still a few weapons I don't know what to do with yet either (largely anything that targets fighters only). Have been thinking of a Fighter-Only trait (FtO), cost x0.75, weapon can only target fighters, seeking weapons, and mines, and counts as Pinpoint; and a Ship-Only (ShO) trait, cost x.70, weapon cannot target fighters, seeking weapons, and mines.

Hull and Defenses are the other thing I'm still not 100% satisfied with. Hull right now is a 'plug number', sort of backwards ship design - add everything, then adjust hull to fit. This has lead to some ships of the same class having different Hull values (higher and lower). And while I'm quite in love with the directional defenses (both of them), I'm not finding a fit/formula that makes me happy.

*For my conversion I take the "-1 per xx hex(es)" range modifier and multiply xx by 6 to get the Starmada range; -2 per hex instead become range 3 and Diffuse at the moment; might go and drop the diffuse. A bit simplistic, but very consistent.

Return to “The Bourbaki Basin”