A Romantic Idea for Iron Stars

Space combat in an age of steam & steel
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: A Romantic Idea for Iron Stars

Postby thedugan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:01 am

THe impression I got reading "War of the Worlds" was that the 'ship' that landed on the Earth ws effectively a large hollow shell - like a huge hollow bullet.

The walker they used was like a 'milking stool' with three legs.

This isn't exactly that, but I like it. I can't remember what Dan said...

MartianWalker09.JPG
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:02 am

I do like your Martian, I can't do 'organics' wasily with DOGA....

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:04 am

Here's a few more...

MartianWalker08.JPG

MartianWalker08-A.JPG

MartianWalker06.JPG

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 am

I like your walkers very much, specially the first two. I do feel that they are too "human", though. I was trying to depart from that. The H. G. Wells Martians are very alien. The ever moving tentacles, the using of a different way of locomotion. It's interesting that after so much time, few creators were able to make aliens so alien as H. G. Wells did.

And I think that the second coming should have a technology upgrade.

About the meteors, to be book (and not movie) specific: "Ogilvy witnesses an explosion on the surface of the planet Mars, one of a series of such events that arouses much interest in the scientific community. An unspecified time later, a "meteor" is seen landing on Horsell Common, near London. The narrator's home is close by, and he is among the first to discover the object is a space-going artificial cylinder launched from Mars. The cylinder opens, disgorging the Martians: bulky, tentacled creatures that begin setting up strange machinery in the cylinder's impact crater. A human deputation moves towards the crater and is incinerated by an invisible ray of heat."

So no bullets or meteors, but large cylinders. That was one of the things that made me draw their ships in the way I did. The earlier walker drawings with the chinese hat and the cylinders that brought the first Martians.

Dugan, would it be too much if I asked you to create a Martian ship akin to the large ark ship I draw?

:?

I can say, please, please... :shock:
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Journal of Lt-Captain Afonso Miranda Teles - Part 19

Postby Blackronin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 am

From the diary of the Lt-Captain Afonso Miranda Teles, Captain of the Light Cruiser "Cidade de Lisboa" and Commander of the Venus Expedition:

June 24, 1912.

Everywhere in the second planet and in the aether around it, the same sentence is heardagain and again among Human and Karroom. “The Martians arrived.” After two weeks of constant patrols in the aether, the crew of the Ainduren frigate “Azmallah” spotted a large fleet near the Martian satellite. Twelve gargantuan ships closely guarded by over twenty small ships. With a cylindrical hull and a conic bow, the ships design can only be Martian.

Mu’ahaty, the frigate captain made a very meticulous description of the Martian ships and we could almost guess their roles by the description she made. I scrambled our fleet to a meeting engagement for we could not allow the Martians to land on the planet. What terrible biological weapons would they bring this time? As our fleet assembled in the gathering point we had choose weeks ago, I review what we knew so far. The twelve big ships must be cargo ships with the invasion army. Those would have to be our priority targets. Still, we had to fight of the smaller ships that I named destroyers, or we would surely loose. It was very clear that these ships were there to defend and shield the bigger ships. The structure of both classes was similar. A strange artefact was in the “nose” of the ships and I deemed it a weapon. Better be safe than sure. If this is a weapon, I dread its power. Around it there is a ring of tentacles that are surely heat rays. The tentacles move around freely so I guess that they can fire in almost all directions. A huge cylinder is the body of the ship that ends in a smaller conical structure from which spread eight or more very long tentacles like cilium that pulse very fast and rhythmically, impelling the ship forward at an amazing speed.

We will join battle with the Martian fleet when they leave the security of the satellite and move to attack Venus. My plan is to engage the destroyers with our fast and smaller ships, while the bigger ones accept what damage they may receive and attack the transport behemoths. I hope that they don’t have some nasty surprise. There’s nothing to do about that. I hope that they will also be surprised by our own new weapons. As the fleet ships arrive and our numbers get stronger I can’t stop comparing it with the Martian fleet composition and once again I fear that we are the weaker, the less advanced and the savages. I wonder what the Aztecs felt when the Spanish fired a black powder weapon against them for the very first time...
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am

I don't think it's so much that we CAN'T make stuff that's alien, it's that we tend to filter things mentally...

How's this for the Ark? Seems kinda 'Hard Vacuum'-like to me (another space combat game by another company)...
MartianArk002.JPG

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 am

@thedugan: It has a bit of Hard Vacuum ship design about it, but the sails are a definite detraction from that. I played HV before I'd even heard of Starmada or Iron Stars, and I was a prolific ship designer over there too...:)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 am

Oh Admiral, my Admiral!
I love the Ark.
The only changes I would make to it are purely conceptual of the way I see Martians.
I would make the sails, propulsors more organic, more stretched, as the sea medusas, for movement and direction is made in a different way as opposing human ships.
The hull, I would make it more cylindrical, but that's a refference from Wells.

The rest is just perfect, Dugan.

Thanks!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Blackronin wrote:Oh Admiral, my Admiral!

Having heard this phrase in a COMPLETELY different context, this gives me the willlies....
:shock:

Blackronin wrote:I love the Ark.

..there's always a 'BUT'....
:)

Blackronin wrote:The only changes I would make to it are purely conceptual of the way I see Martians.
I would make the sails, propulsors more organic, more stretched, as the sea medusas, for movement and direction is made in a different way as opposing human ships.
The hull, I would make it more cylindrical, but that's a refference from Wells.

See, I figure that you've got to go one way or another. I got a definite 'inorganic' vibe from the Martian Machines described in Well's book - and yeah, I kinda violate that rule with the sails-vs-hull thing. You're wanting a more 'straight' hull and organic sails, I took the opposite tack....

I'd have to make some custom parts, can't do that right now, as I'm trying to clean off my "D" drive and reformat and re-partition it. 120+ Gigs of PDF's, MP3's, and other stuff is a LOT to go through....still have to find out what's 'broke' and copy it over to DVD's. STILL working on it...
:(

Blackronin wrote:The rest is just perfect, Dugan.

Cool...I'll do some more work on this later when I get done with my HD - I'm not THAT far away from being done, but it's been months, and I think I've figured out why D was zapping stuff (not so much as I feared, it turns out).

to "murtalianconfederacy" - yeah, Hard Vacuum was a flash, then it sorta died out quick. I seem to remember a few familiar names on the Yahoo list, as I'm on that list - along with about 50 others (a lot 'web only' - some on digest).

I was sorting through my files, and came across my saved stuff having to do with HV, and yeah - real close if not for the tail....
:D

Seems to me that they took too proprietary an approach to let 'fans' contribute to it easily, and didn't have the time to generate that kind of content that they needed to sustain it - so people lost interest in it.

Did the retail version of it have a 'build a thing' in it?

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm

thedugan wrote:Blackronin wrote:
Oh Admiral, my Admiral!

Having heard this phrase in a COMPLETELY different context, this gives me the willlies....

Gee... A person cannot make a literary quotation these days... :?

thedugan wrote:I'd have to make some custom parts, can't do that right now, as I'm trying to clean off my "D" drive and reformat and re-partition it. 120+ Gigs of PDF's, MP3's, and other stuff is a LOT to go through....still have to find out what's 'broke' and copy it over to DVD's. STILL working on it...

I'll wait. No problem. Patience is a virtue I do have... 8-) Can it be now? :roll: If I say please again?

;)

Return to “Iron Stars”