VP for unaccompanied fighters

futabachan
Midshipman
Midshipman

VP for unaccompanied fighters

Postby futabachan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 am

Fighters on ships contribute VP to their carrier. How much, in VP, is a fighter worth if it's not based on a ship? Fighters from nearby bases, planets, arriving through wormholes/jump gates, and so forth are an obvious thing to have; how many points is a fighter worth?

Likewise, for an off-map drone bombardment, would an arriving "cruise drone" count as 40% of a fighter, or some other value?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: VP for unaccompanied fighters

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 am

futabachan wrote:Fighters on ships contribute VP to their carrier. How much, in VP, is a fighter worth if it's not based on a ship? Fighters from nearby bases, planets, arriving through wormholes/jump gates, and so forth are an obvious thing to have; how many points is a fighter worth?

That is a bit of an open ended question, it all depends on your fighter flight construction. VP's are the flights required carrier capacity plus 10% (rounded up).
If you use a "Standard" flight (carrier capacity requirement is 50)add 10% for being an independent flight, so 55(CR or VP)
How much is a fighter worth? Divide by the number of fighters in the flight.

futabachan wrote:Likewise, for an off-map drone bombardment, would an arriving "cruise drone" count as 40% of a fighter, or some other value?

The core rules page 58 states that Strikers may not be designated as "independent" (nor seekers as they are a subset of strikers).

Paul

mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mikeaxe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

While in Starmada you are correct about the various types of fighter Paul, in SFO all fighters are the same (though I have some thoughts on that ;) ) so the question is not so open ended.

I have the same problem as I am currently converting the GDW game Imperium to SFO. In Imperium you can base fighters at outposts and colonies. I solved the problem by assuming the fighters where based in a fighter base consisting of just the hull and 3 fighter factors this gave me a VP of 6 per fighter factor. Not an elegant solution and if we had an agreed VP for an independent fighter factor it would make my conversion neater.

Mike P.
Mike P.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry, Your right Mike. Answer for wrong bit of forum.
SFO does not give any rule for independent fighters. Fighters are Standard probably to keep it simple.
SFO independent fighters would need the 10% SU cost added although your solution of a Hull/Base to give VP seems to work (They have to come from somewhere :) ).

Actually I see nothing wrong in making (ground/asteroid) bases the same way as making stations.

Scenario: Run the gauntlet.
Bases on asteroids limited to 3 firing arcs (can only be attacked through these arcs) covering a route that supply ships HAVE to take.

Paul

Return to “Starmada: Fleet Operations”