Arcturan missile ships

futabachan
Midshipman
Midshipman

Arcturan missile ships

Postby futabachan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 am

The stats in the SFO rulebook for the Arcturan Raikou BB and Izanagi BCG list them as having Fighters (8), based on their missile magazine capacity. Should that be Drones (20) instead? And does the VP value change, if so?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Arcturan missile ships

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 am

futabachan wrote:The stats in the SFO rulebook for the Arcturan Raikou BB and Izanagi BCG list them as having Fighters (8), based on their missile magazine capacity. Should that be Drones (20) instead? And does the VP value change, if so?

No, They do not carry drones. See page 18 "Arcturan carriers contain fighter flights".
Arcturan ships that carry missiles have missile turrets in a weapon battery.

Paul

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Pinecone » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Actually, I think he's right. The Imperial Starmada Sourcebook gave it carrier (200), but I always assumed this was for strikers.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 am

Pinecone wrote:Actually, I think he's right. The Imperial Starmada Sourcebook gave it carrier (200), but I always assumed this was for strikers.

I just have to ask why you assumed that the carrier capacity was for strikers?
I think strikers are only mentioned twice in ISS, once in the options in play (no idea why) and on the previous page which gives advice about carriers in general and recording what a ship carries in a campaign.
Unless it has been changed, the Faction outline states that Terran, Arcturan, The Negali and Kalaedinese carriers contain fighter flights while the S'ssk carry breachers.
It is for that reason I would say that the book is correct. I do think that If Dan had intended the carrier capacity to represent strikers he would have put drones on the ships in SFO.
It is your game though (if everyone agrees) make drones available. The VP's for these two ships do not change, I just checked.

Paul

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Pinecone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am

It says they contain "fighter flights," but in the core rulebook it says that "fighters" also refer to seekers. Also, in the case of the Sssk, it said "breacher flights only." There was no "only" in the other fighter decscriptions.

Additionally, the Arcturan Battle Carrier had marines on it. No other ship other than the Sssk ships did this. why would it be if the ship was not intented to carry some boarding pod/breacher flights?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Pinecone wrote:It says they contain "fighter flights," but in the core rulebook it says that "fighters" also refer to seekers. Also, in the case of the Sssk, it said "breacher flights only." There was no "only" in the other fighter decscriptions.

Quite right, for Interpreting the rules which also cover subsets of fighters.

Pinecone wrote:Additionally, the Arcturan Battle Carrier had marines on it. No other ship other than the Sssk ships did this. why would it be if the ship was not intented to carry some boarding pod/breacher flights?

To counter S'ssk boarding parties? Maybe it had some room left over? :)

I do not remember anyone questioning this in the last three years, perhaps the writer could chip in.

Paul

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Pinecone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Actually, I did, but nobody answered! :x ;)

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Pinecone wrote:Actually, I did, but nobody answered! :x ;)

Ah, I see it but you asked a non-question.
"While we're talking about strikers, when the Imperial Starmada Sourcebook says that carriers of a race can carry fighters (for everyone but the sssk), does that include fighters? I assume it does, or the carrier rating of the Arcturan Missile Cruiser wouldn't make much sense, but I just wanted to be sure." :)

Paul

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 am

All carrier capacity on Arcturan ships is made up of standard 50-point fighter flights.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Pinecone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 pm

The boss has spoken!

Fair enough. So the arcturans like putting fighters in wierd places. The Marines still seem a bit out of place, especially since the Arcturans are (sometimes) allies of the Sssk, but what do I know? Who am I to tell Vlini Harloss that she was wrong? :)

Return to “Starmada: Fleet Operations”