What are the differences between S:AE and S:FO?

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

What are the differences between S:AE and S:FO?

Postby Pinecone » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Could someone explain this too me? Is SFO to replace SAE, or merely supplement it? either way, what new things does it bring to the table?

mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: What are the differences between S:AE and S:FO?

Postby mikeaxe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 am

Of course Dan (and just about everyone else ;) ) will have his own answer to this question but I personally don't think SFO either replaces or supplements SAE, but stands alongside. While obviously based in SAE, SFO is a much quicker game system and therefore allows faster or bigger games. The playing experience is different (at least for me) but I tend to do bigger games. My last SFO game had some 50 ships on table something SAE struggles to do. I also tend to maneuver in squadrons rather than individual ships.

If your idea of space battles are clashes between relatively small battlegroups, a bit like today's wet navies or say Midway, go for SAE. If your time is limited or your view of the space battle is big fleets clashing like Jutland or Letye Gulf then go for SFO.

I also find SFO easier to fit into campaign type games such as VBAM and GDW's Imperium. This is mainly because most campaign games have crippled ships, which SFO does directly, unlike SAE. SAE on the other hand with all its various option rules allows a more detailed (accurate?) rendition of your favorite SF background.

So, you pays your money and takes your choice or as in my case buy both :o .

Hope that answers you question.
Mike P.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:14 pm

^^^ This. :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Pinecone
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Pinecone » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Okay, thanks :-)

Return to “Starmada: Fleet Operations”