Bases in SFO

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Bases in SFO

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 am

Pretty sure this question, or a variant thereof, has been asked before, but I haven't found it.

How would you convert bases into SFO? I'm thinking the accurate trait is an absolute must for base weapons, as the text is so similar.

(yes, this does mean S:AE bases and S:FO bases are in the pipeline--already done designs for the Warring Triumvirate/Veiled Serpent setting. Not that happy with how they turned out though...)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

The Oz
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Bases in SFO

Postby The Oz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am

Bases should be ships without a Thrust rating or the Hyperdrive trait. Anything beyond that would depend on the setting, I would think.

What bases will need to be effective in an SFO game is long-range weapons and lots of drones/fighters.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 am

Thats what I've done with my bases so far, although some are 'only' way-station type bases.

"This door is alarmed"

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Pretty sure this question, or a variant thereof, has been asked before, but I haven't found it.

How would you convert bases into SFO? I'm thinking the accurate trait is an absolute must for base weapons, as the text is so similar.

This thread?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2766
Paul
Edit : Been keeping "notes" suggestion.
[Station Construction

Station Trait: gives station weapons the same as Accurate. (Cost?)
Stations may rotate one hex side per turn but loose the trait for that turn.
Stations consist of “sections”, each of which is constructed as if it were a ship with 0 thrust. The VPs being the total of the sections.

Attacker has to declare which section is the target of any attack before rolling to hit.

weapon arcs are restricted i.e. weapons are not allowed where sections would join.
Small stations may consist of a single Thrust 0 section.
A “long” station with 3 sections may have weapon arcs ABCD//CD*//CDEF.
A “circular” station with 3 sections may have AB//CE//DF
* For as many sections between each end.

If a section is destroyed roll a d6 for each adjoining sections.
1-3 Blast doors have held, no further damage.
4 Section takes 1 hull damage.
5-6 Section takes 2 hull damage.
If this results in another section being destroyed roll for next adjoining section.]

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Hmm, thought I'd come across something like that. But in case my meaning wasn't clear, I meant converting bases from S:AE to S:FO.

"This door is alarmed"

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Hmm, thought I'd come across something like that. But in case my meaning wasn't clear, I meant converting bases from S:AE to S:FO.

I can see a few problems (If they are).
1) There is no weapon trait in Starmada that translates to Accurate, Which I think should have been reserved for stations in SFO. Just my opinion. ;) See Stations in KA or RA.
2) VPs in SFO are reduced due to no thrust rating in the battery ORAT calculation.
Space stations are in Armada books, no official SFU conversion.

Possible solutions?
1) I was going to suggest a "Station Weapon" trait giving SFO Accurate. But I just noticed when re-reading Alien Armada that Stations, DEFSATs etc started to get "Space Station" in the Specials. This has thrown me a bit as it did not appear on any data cards in KA or RA. (to be continued....) This should give a station in SFO something like "Accurate Weapons".
2) SFO Battery ORAT: change First Thrust rating to "First Thrust Rating or 1 if thrust is 0", which would at least increase the ORAT a little.

Paul

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 pm

This may take a little re-write of the shipyard.

I believe that all batteries (but not AFB and Tractors) should get the Accurate trait somehow (mod. x1.8) but the trait can only be used if the station does not make a rotation in the movement phase.
Aye there's the rub, so to speak. SFO Accurate does not have this restriction in the book.
Should the trait be shown against each battery or in the ship traits that weapon batteries are accurate?

Paul

mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mikeaxe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hi guys,
I'm back, just returned from a visit to the 19th, 18th and 15th centuries, weather was nice there and no economic crash or civil unrest unless you count the robust political discussion at Bosworth Field. :D Now back to the future.

Reading the ideas about stations and thought to add my thoughts. basically I offer three suggestions
1. If you are concerned about the accuracy trait being too good, Why not force a station to pivot (always in the same direction) each turn and then allow accurate weapons to always function.

2. Rotating a space station is conceivably not the same as a space ship maneuvering, the stations is a far more stable platform, so why not allow a station to keep its accuracy trait when rotating?

3. Space Station trait: multiply the SU/hull box by 1.8 or some other number if that too much ;) . This will allow more weapons/attack dice or the accuracy trait for 'free'.

As far as the space station trait goes in KA/RA/AA/DA, or SFU for short, I interpreted this as (for information) as most of the effects are catered for in construction(KA/RA B.17). Thought I never quite worked about why B.17 and B.16 are incomparable, I just can't see why a universe cannot have both, trying to avoid someone getting something for nothing by building flotillas of space stations I suppose :? .
Mike P.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:13 am

I see loss of Accuracy as a direct conversion (keeping up with the Armadas, makes a change from the Jones'). :)

Stations are stable, thus the stable weapon benefit in Armada but they can be huge. Rotating to bring Port/Starboard section weapons to bear in movies usually results in "Shake, Rattle & Roll". :) :)

Paul

Return to “Starmada: Fleet Operations”