S:AE--SFO conversion

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

S:AE--SFO conversion

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:03 am

Okay, I'm converting the vessels in the Warring Triumvirate, and have run into a slight issue. Following the conversion rules, the heavy lance cannon on the Zharak-Kolras BB should have both the 'triple damage' and the 'double damage' traits to it (as in S:AE it has Extra Hull Damage and Double Damage). Do I keep both traits or do I drop one (the DD one) and multiply the number of attack dice by two? I've converted it both ways, and the conversion that drops the DD trait and doubles the attack dice actually means it'll be a 9/4 rather than the 4/2 if the weapon has TD/DD, which results in a VP difference of 2.

A similar issue also arose with the conversion of the Dehgron cloak ship's neutron burst. Due to the conversion, it should have both the half damage and double damage traits. Now, that normally wouldn't be an issue--cancel it. However, because the half damage modifier is x.7, it means a different SU cost for the 'neutron burst'--with, again, two different VP values.

I'm guessing both would be solved the same--either dropping one or both traits, or maintaining the traits. But which one is it?
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: S:AE--SFO conversion

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:11 pm

I have been wracking my brain over the triple Damage/Half Damage problem and just did not see the answer until today.
The answer also applies to your problem.

Triple Damage + Double Damage, I suggest dropping the Double Damage.
The number of Attack dice do not get multiplied by either trait.
The Triple Damage trait modifier (x3.0) applies to the SU cost, when, having applied any attack dice modifiers in the conversion section you then have to go back to page 22 in order to calculate the SFO weapon battery cost (for ORAT & VP calculation).

I think this is another trait interaction that i will have to work into the shipyard (though not until the morning, it is just past midnight) :)

Paul

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Thing is, if I drop the DD but don't increase the number of attack dice, it actually ends up weaker than the Shromahk. I think I'll drop the DD trait and double the attack dice. Make the Zharak-Kolras a fearsome enemy...:)

I've also noted what could be ambiguity regarding ammunition weapons. The Jilan Lords' Jakrah-C has a battery of nuke launchers which use ammunition. I've followed the conversion for altering the number of attack dice, but it doesn't note whether to use One-Shot. I think it would, but again, any help is welcome.

I've converted almost all major powers in the Warring Triumvirate/Unveiled Serpent supplements--just the remainder of the Nadusians, Aalkeri and Xevaxan (whoo, are they going to be difficult), plus the various freighter/raider groups. Assuming I get it complete by tonight and then start typing up, you might just have a SFO supplement ready by this weekend...

"This door is alarmed"

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Thing is, if I drop the DD but don't increase the number of attack dice, it actually ends up weaker than the Shromahk. I think I'll drop the DD trait and double the attack dice. Make the Zharak-Kolras a fearsome enemy...:)

Weaker even with the Triple Damage trait?

murtalianconfederacy wrote:I've also noted what could be ambiguity regarding ammunition weapons. The Jilan Lords' Jakrah-C has a battery of nuke launchers which use ammunition. I've followed the conversion for altering the number of attack dice, but it doesn't note whether to use One-Shot. I think it would, but again, any help is welcome.

As it is written, no, but I see the logic of it.
I wonder if it was Dan's intention to put the One Shot trait in the Ammunition calculation paragraph?

Paul

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 am

OldnGrey wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:Thing is, if I drop the DD but don't increase the number of attack dice, it actually ends up weaker than the Shromahk. I think I'll drop the DD trait and double the attack dice. Make the Zharak-Kolras a fearsome enemy...:)

Weaker even with the Triple Damage trait?

Well, the weapon has Triple Damage and Double Damage together. I've been wondering whether to drop the Double Damage trait and multiply the number of attack dice by two, or just keep both traits and have a Sextuple Damage weapon...:)

As the heavy lance cannon is basically an enlarged medium lance cannon (that the Shromahk mounts), I've been toying with stating for the purposes of the conversion that the Zharak-Kolras basically mounts double the number of medium lance cannons to eliminate the confusion (which is the 'drop Double Damage and multiply the number of attack dice by two' option I was leaning towards)

OldnGrey wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:I've also noted what could be ambiguity regarding ammunition weapons. The Jilan Lords' Jakrah-C has a battery of nuke launchers which use ammunition. I've followed the conversion for altering the number of attack dice, but it doesn't note whether to use One-Shot. I think it would, but again, any help is welcome.

As it is written, no, but I see the logic of it.
I wonder if it was Dan's intention to put the One Shot trait in the Ammunition calculation paragraph?

Paul

Okay, then, I'll make it into a One-Shot weapon, which should make sure enemies of the Jilan don't have kittens when they see a flight of Jakrah-C's on the table...:)

"This door is alarmed"

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Damn, damn, damn, another question:

Was starting to convert the Mehurni Miner Lords and came across a little problem--with the ammo rules again. Not too much of one this time, just a confirmation: when calculating the multiplier for the attack dice for ammo, do I use the S:AE hull size, or the S:FO hull size? I'd assume its the S:AE, but just want to make sure as it affects the number of full-strength attack dice.

"This door is alarmed"

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Damn, damn, damn, another question:

Was starting to convert the Mehurni Miner Lords and came across a little problem--with the ammo rules again. Not too much of one this time, just a confirmation: when calculating the multiplier for the attack dice for ammo, do I use the S:AE hull size, or the S:FO hull size? I'd assume its the S:AE, but just want to make sure as it affects the number of full-strength attack dice.

The starmada AE hull size is used on the "n Value" table.

Paul

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Thought so, thanks...:)

"This door is alarmed"

Return to “Starmada: Fleet Operations”