2x Laser turrets
2x Airspeeder
1x Luke

Empire:1x ATAT
2x ATST
3xSS
1xE-web

“It was cold the day the Empire came to Hoth………..”

Setup- Rebels set up to one side of the middle of the map in Trenchline (Hard Cover), Empire along opposite map edge. Luke does not appear until a Rebel Airspeeder is killed. Generator is along Rebel map-edge.

Victory- Empire must destroy the Rebel Generator (Size 4, AR 0) placed behind the Rebel lines.

Turn 1: The Empire advanced on-line, Rebel speeders fly across the trenches toward the AT-AT.

Turn 2: AT-AT fire on a group of Rebel speeders and kill one (Luke placed on the board). Remaining Air speeder units attack w/o success, “That armor is too strong for blasters!”

Turn 3: AT-AT strikes damaged Airspeeder unit and kills it, AT-STs continue to press forward and engage Rebel infantry. SS and E-web march steadily along.
Rebel last Airspeeder slashes at the AT-AT and damages it (1 hit). Laser Turrets strike AT-ST for a hit on each. Luke runs over to engage the AT-AT, misses.

Turn 4: AT-AT moves forward and engages a passing Airspeeder(1 hit), AT-ST continue to pound rebel Turrets (+1 hit each). SS finally reach the enemy trenches and lay down cover fire.
Rebel speeder continues to fly in circles around AT-AT (0 hits), Laser Turrets smack the AT-ST (boom!). Infantry returns fire on the SS. Luke throws a grenade into an AT-AT (+1hit).
Turn 5: AT-AT moves fwd and destroys one Turret, while one SS knocks Luke unconscious. Remaining SS and E-web ties down enemy infantry.
Rebel Airspeeder tries for a strafing run on the E-web (1hit). Remaining Turret pounds away at the AT-AT (zilch), while the infantry throws snow-balls at the SS.

Turn 6: AT-AT moves fwd and blasts the last Turret away. The SS and E-web finally tears a whole into the rebel line (1 inf gone).
Rebel Airspeeder finally makes a successful attack (+1hit). Remaining infantry falls back to converge on the AT-AT.

Turn 7: AT-AT crosses the rebel lines. The SS and E-web pursue the retreating rebels.
Rebel infantry makes an assault on the AT-AT (1 hit). The Airspeeder pilot thinks about changing careers (0 hits on AT-AT).

Turn 8: AT-AT get its first chance to hit the Generator (1hit). SS and E-web catch-up to the rebels (4 hits, 2 inf lost).
Rebel infantry continues to assault AT-AT w/o success. Airspeeder finally does something useful (wipes out E-web).

Turn 9: AT-AT finishes off the Generator (“You may begin your landing.”)

After-action review: Overall not a bad system and I was able to replicate the battle quite well. The biggest issue I had was in remembering to plan my orders issuing 1 turn ahead. (This is actually my second play-through) I didn’t have any issue with command points, but that may have been because of the low-unit count. I do think that Infantry need something for Inf vs.Inf or Vehicle assault, maybe double attack dice but the attacking infantry suffer suppression?

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Battle of Hoth

Postby mj12games » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Very cool... I was wondering if someone would try this out.

Blackhawk33 wrote:After-action review: Overall not a bad system and I was able to replicate the battle quite well. The biggest issue I had was in remembering to plan my orders issuing 1 turn ahead. (This is actually my second play-through) I didn’t have any issue with command points, but that may have been because of the low-unit count.

You did remember that it costs 1 CP when you place the order, and another 1 CP when you activate it, right?

With 2d6 CPs, you should be able to activate an average of 3-4 units per turn; less if you have to spend CPs on suppression.

I do think that Infantry need something for Inf vs.Inf or Vehicle assault, maybe double attack dice but the attacking infantry suffer suppression?

Not sure what you mean by "need something"... ?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Blackhawk33
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Blackhawk33 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 am

You did remember that it costs 1 CP when you place the order, and another 1 CP when you activate it, right?

...Um, this I might have forgot

I do think that Infantry need something for Inf vs.Inf or Vehicle assault, maybe double attack dice but the attacking infantry suffer suppression?
Not sure what you mean by "need something"... ?

Pushed around a few more Star Wars units, little bit larger battle. Made the assumption that technology still favors infantry using short-range but powerful weapons (Thermal Detonators, AP Rckts, Lazer Swords, etc). Tried the following:
1) Inf conducting STRIKE against adjacent enemy gain Barrage Trait for the this turn only, however the assaulting infantry unit automatically gains 1 suppression marker.

2) When Inf conduct a STRIKE against enemy Inf, neither unit get the Inf Save feature.

I thin even at the scale of QL, the utility of Infantry is still a viable feature for a battle field comander. And it kept my Imperial Walkers from just marching over the Rebel "Crunchies" for fear of getting a grenade thrown by a want-to-be jedi. :twisted:

siveon

Postby siveon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Nice stuff, now just get to work on some counter images to post. :D

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 am

I'll start you off.
Did a basic counter layout in Page Plus so I can just change the numbers and add a small graphic.
Then it is just export it as a png, Ta Da!
Maybe not brilliant but simple. Of course it would look better as a pdf sheet but that would be overkill for one counter.
Sorry, AT-AT counter deleted. :(
Paul
Last edited by OldnGrey on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let it be written, so let it be done.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm

OldnGrey wrote:I'll start you off.

That is SWEET. :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 pm

OldnGrey wrote:I'll start you off.
Did a basic counter layout in Page Plus so I can just change the numbers and add a small graphic.
Then it is just export it as a png, Ta Da!
Maybe not brilliant but simple. Of course it would look better as a pdf sheet but that would be overkill for one counter.
AT-AT counter v2.png

Paul

Why do I have the feeling that George Lucas has somehow sensed a disturbance in his copyright material and contacted his lawyers even if he hasn't seen this yet? ;)
It really is a nice counter.
Cheers,
Erik
PS I'm still wondering how much it took them to pay him off to use Droid for the new phones!
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:Why do I have the feeling that George Lucas has somehow sensed a disturbance in his copyright material and contacted his lawyers even if he hasn't seen this yet? ;)
Cheers,
Erik
PS I'm still wondering how much it took them to pay him off to use Droid for the new phones!

Perhaps you are right, some can be party poopers.
Now, if this thread had been called The Battle of Sloth.......
Not wishing to create any problems, I will delete the counter.
Paul

ctaylor
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby ctaylor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 am

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:28 am

OldnGrey wrote:
Blacklancer99 wrote:Why do I have the feeling that George Lucas has somehow sensed a disturbance in his copyright material and contacted his lawyers even if he hasn't seen this yet? ;)
Cheers,
Erik

Perhaps you are right, some can be party poopers.
Now, if this thread had been called The Battle of Sloth.......
Not wishing to create any problems, I will delete the counter.
Paul

Gee, sorry to be the wet blanket :( I just remembered all the stories of times Lucas has used litigation to crush anyone that came close to his money making machine. I'm sure a counter on a forum couldn't hurt...could it? Although, from what I remember reading, I'm a bit surprised Lucas hasn't tried to get a royalty for every child named Luke born since at least 1978!
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

Return to “Quantum Legions”