More ships for Klingon Armada

www.starfleetgames.com
bekosh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 am
Location: West Bend WI

More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby bekosh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:23 pm

I just saw that ADB has posted 3 extra ships for KA. The Free Trader, the Planet Killer & the Juggernaut.
http://www.starfleetgames.com/starmada.shtml
Paul
Carpe Dementia!

falstaffe
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:36 am

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby falstaffe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:08 am

What's the Juggernaut?

Gotta say, their version of the Planet Killer doesn't line up with what we saw in the episode at all. Should have a devastating attack, with a limited arc of fire.

Where's the achilles heel of the "down the throat" shot?

Don't forget the "subspace dampening field"--not only did it interfere with communication (no talking on the Fed side of the table!) it also drained power from the warp engines!

Sergeant Crunch
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Junction City, KS
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby Sergeant Crunch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 am

It wasn't even the head on shot that killed it, but the detonation of the Constellation's core in the maw of the beast IIRC. The Fed Com version has kind of the same issue, it's a bunch of Phaser-4s. I think a little imagination with the Starmada construction tools could come up with a better approximation....hmm, where'd I put the FedCom SSDs....
"No matter where you go, there you are." -Buckaroo Bonzai

My Blog: http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/
My current miniatures gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/bbordner75
My old gallery: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Sergeant_Crunch/

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby thedugan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 pm

The Juggernaut in SFB is NOT the one in the Voyager episode, but basically a BB-sized (IIRC) alien ship with some oddball weapons, 'regnerative armor', no shields, and rules for one player running the 'AI' on board - it's a large robotic battleship, essentially.

It's from WAYYYYYYY back, in one of the pre-Doomsday scenarios.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

bekosh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 am
Location: West Bend WI

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby bekosh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:58 pm

thedugan wrote:The Juggernaut in SFB is NOT the one in the Voyager episode, but basically a BB-sized (IIRC) alien ship with some oddball weapons, 'regnerative armor', no shields, and rules for one player running the 'AI' on board - it's a large robotic battleship, essentially.

It's from WAYYYYYYY back, in one of the pre-Doomsday scenarios.

It goes alllllllll the waaaaayyyyyyyy back to a story and scenario in Captain's Log #1 from 1983. ADB has a scanned reprint for sale. http://tinyurl.com/yfgkxsc
I have an original on the shelf. Inside the front cover they were advertising the release of the Commander's Rulebook and Supplement #1. Plus the new miniatures for the Fed CVA (the original flatbed design) & the Orion Cruiser. :D

Then they brought it back in Captain's Log #33 for 'Return of the Juggernaut'. http://tinyurl.com/ygsnzpd

It had Phaser-4's for it's main weapons, thick armor everywhere except from dead astern and a huge rotating shield that it could move to cover any arc it wanted. Think Faceted shields 5/5/5/5/5/0 plus 5 points of screen that all have to goto the same arc but can be moved in reaction to weapons fire.
Paul
Carpe Dementia!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby thedugan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 am

bekosh wrote:
thedugan wrote:The Juggernaut in SFB is NOT the one in the Voyager episode, but basically a BB-sized (IIRC) alien ship with some oddball weapons, 'regnerative armor', no shields, and rules for one player running the 'AI' on board - it's a large robotic battleship, essentially.

It's from WAYYYYYYY back, in one of the pre-Doomsday scenarios.


It goes alllllllll the waaaaayyyyyyyy back to a story and scenario in Captain's Log #1 from 1983. ADB has a scanned reprint for sale. http://tinyurl.com/yfgkxsc
I have an original on the shelf. Inside the front cover they were advertising the release of the Commander's Rulebook and Supplement #1. Plus the new miniatures for the Fed CVA (the original flatbed design) & the Orion Cruiser. :D


Yep, that's it...Didn't remember the details. I think I've got a xox'ed copy of it in my SFB junk.


bekosh wrote:Then they brought it back in Captain's Log #33 for 'Return of the Juggernaut'. http://tinyurl.com/ygsnzpd

It had Phaser-4's for it's main weapons, thick armor everywhere except from dead astern and a huge rotating shield that it could move to cover any arc it wanted. Think Faceted shields 5/5/5/5/5/0 plus 5 points of screen that all have to goto the same arc but can be moved in reaction to weapons fire.


Aaahhh... those were good times. I don't have the patience or time for playing it anymore......

I guess I'll have to take a look at the Starmada version.....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

bekosh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 am
Location: West Bend WI

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby bekosh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:11 am

thedugan wrote:Aaahhh... those were good times. I don't have the patience or time for playing it anymore......

I guess I'll have to take a look at the Starmada version.....

I remember the day I rolled my Lyran DN behind a Gorn BC at range 1 and shoved 6 overloaded disrupters and all 4 ESG's right up his.... :o Yup, good times.

Now I can use Starmada to do an entire fleet. :twisted:
Paul
Carpe Dementia!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby thedugan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 pm

I've written up two 'races' for SFB, never submitted them to ADB - NOT balanced.

My version of the PPD was basically the equivalent of the Wave Motion Gun. Peeled away shields like an onion skin. Oddly after two games with them, no one wanted to play against them (purely to establish their BPV, mind you)....

The version I almost submitted used huge freaking missiles, basically large, slow drones that I could launch in one huge salvo. Played a few games, they're in the drawer with all my old SFB junk....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Sergeant Crunch
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Junction City, KS
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby Sergeant Crunch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Just noticed on the Juggernaut that the weapon arcs for the Phaser-1 get cut off after the two [CEF] banks.
"No matter where you go, there you are." -Buckaroo Bonzai

My Blog: http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/
My current miniatures gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/bbordner75
My old gallery: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Sergeant_Crunch/

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: More ships for Klingon Armada

Postby mj12games » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Sergeant Crunch wrote:Just noticed on the Juggernaut that the weapon arcs for the Phaser-1 get cut off after the two [CEF] banks.

That should have been fixed -- when did you download the file? There is an updated version on the starfleetgames.com website.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com


Return to “Amarillo Design Bureau”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest