Starmada Fleet Ops Vassal

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Starmada Fleet Ops Vassal

Postby Uncle_Joe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the update. And yep, that's the version of Vassal I'm using now.

Drake notation box works fine and yes, I just missed the 'Mov' button to remove the 'trails'.

All of that seems to be working great now, thanks.

One thing I'm noticing in our first game is that the 'Range' button is a little iffy. Sometimes it works like a charm and sometimes we can't get it to work properly. Perhaps a 'pressed' indicator (color change maybe?) might help but it seems that we can't reliably get it to work.

Also, the 'Place Damage Marker' toggle under 'Ship Properties' seems to play a 'Cloaked' marker and not a 'Damaged' tag. If it could apply a (small) damage tag that would be great to see at a glance. :)

edit: Additional problem found. The 'Mark Fired' is no longer working on the 3rd turn of our game. It worked during the 2nd turn (the first one with combat) but after clearing the fire orders at the end of turn 2, we can no longer mark ships as Fired (either with the hotkey or the interface toggle).

Thanks again for your time and effort with this module. It's greatly appreciated.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 pm

For some reason the range button has always seemed a little bit hit and miss, I do not know if it is a bug in the software.
"Range" has in the past even thrown up some weird ranges. :roll:

The place damage marker is a throwback to the AE version, I have taken it out. "Alt D" will now show this:
Damaged example vassal.png
Damaged example vassal.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

Sort of an "I'm venting atmosphere!"
Any good?

The marked fired only working once was a bit strange so I have done it a little differently, works now.
One day I may get to know what I am doing with vassal!
I have replaced the 1.2 version so if you delete the one you have and download the one I have just posted it should work better. Please let me know how it goes.

Paul

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 am

Damage indicator looks great! Very cool!

And I found that the range thing works reliably if you drag from point to point rather than click (after pushing the 'Range' button).

Fired marker is now functioning with the clear button.

One other small request (although I'm not even sure if it's possible). In Fleet Ops, ships can carry multiple orders (ie All Stop AND Run Silent etc). The module will let you stack up orders, but you can't see the ones underneath unless you first delete the top one.

Would it be possible to have two places on that right side for order markers so that you can have two on a ship at the same time?

Thanks!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Version 1_3 has the Run Silent (slightly different, is revealed on CTRL I) in lower right corner. Any good?
I do think page 6 of the book could have pointed this out. It might have been written differently.

The range has always been click and drag to target hex far as I can remember but it has played up in some software revisions.

Paul

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi,

No, that's not really going to work (the 1.3 implementation) because you see the 'hidden' order marker in different places on the counter and thus by default, it is known. Also, 'All Stop' and 'Full Speed' order can be issued together (although they remove each other when revealed, it's still sometimes difficult to keep track of which ships have the stacked orders).

What I'm envisioning is actually more like two different placed on the counter (maybe top right and bottom right) where you can place any of the 3 orders. So for example on Turn 1, you place an order for All Stop (in the upper right). On Turn 2, you place a hidden order in the bottom right slot. When it's revealed, it can either interact with the first order (ie, cancel it in which case both are removed) or else the two can co-exist and both can be visible.

Granted on Turn 3 there might be a need for another hidden order but it could go over either slot because there is no combo that I can think of that wouldn't result in one of the existing two being removed (and it's pretty rare in my experience to have multiple orders placed).

So maybe two completely independent slots for any of the 3 orders which can be independently hidden/revealed? Does that make sense as something that is possible?

Disclaimer: We are playing 'hot seat' at the moment so it might look different if playing remotely as far as 'hidden' order.

We really appreciate your time and effort. It's really helped us get back into Fleet Ops!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 pm

I have replaced version 1_3.
This has all three orders "2" in lower right corner.
I believe that is what you wanted.

May all change when the new book comes out, looking forward to that :cry:

Paul

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi,

It looks great. I only had a little bit of time to test it out but it looks like it should work fine. Hopefully we can get a game in this weekend and really work it out.

And yep, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the 'revised' edition does both for Vassal and the spreadsheet. I've actually heavily customized the spreadsheet so I'm not looking forward to having to redo that with any major changes lol.

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi,

As per the discussion in the Fleet Ops forum, I would like to playtest a mechanic with some remote friend. I have a 'feature request' if you have the time to look into it. ;)

Basically I would like to be able to create a 'deck' or 'bag' or 'draw pool' and then be able to pull out 'cards' or 'chits' individually'.

So for example there would be a button for 'Add Red to pool' which would let you select a number of red 'tokens' to go into the pool and then another button for 'Add Black to pool' which would be similar for the other color.

Then there would be a button to 'Pull tile/chit from pool' and it would display which color in the chat and then decrement the pool by that token/tile/chit. This could be repeated until the pool is empty.

And perhaps a 'Clear pool' button too to reset it in cases where a ship is destroyed before it could fire etc.

Does that make sense and is that doable?

Thanks in advance for any help!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Could not find an example where the number are not fixed at the start but this would be possible using cards (see pdf). I was thinking for up to six players.
Would that do?
Paul
Random player cards for Vassal.pdf
(181.15 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 pm

I think that looks like it would work great! And just a 'clear all' command would be helpful too but not necessary if it's difficult to implement.

I think will be a really good way to play the game, especially for people who aren't overly fond of the default UGO-IGO system.

Thanks again for your efforts. This module has really come a long way. ;)

Return to “Files”