Starmada Fleet Ops Vassal

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Starmada Fleet Ops Vassal

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am

Module for Starmada Fleet Ops
Each ship has a data sheet layout for SFO.
You could save ship data from the SFO spreadsheet (Copy and paste) into notepad and then paste the weapons into the data sheet. Hull and expendables entered as check boxes, right click space to bring up the enter 0/0. For example if you have 4 Drones enter 0/4 and click ok.
Example of the data sheet (just a trial not correct) below, Light carrier just launched a fighter flight.
Note that if you use a ship class on a regular basis you may wish to edit the module to enter the class data and then just the ship name when it is placed in a game.
Starmada Fleet Ops 1_4.zip
turn cards added
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 95 times

Random player cards for Vassal.pdf
(181.47 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

Any questions or clean suggestions? Post away.

Paul
SFO Data Trial.png
SFO Data Trial.png (35.97 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Last edited by OldnGrey on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Starmada Fleet Ops Vassal

Postby Uncle_Joe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi OldnGrey,

Thanks a lot for the SFO Vassal module! I had been using the Admiralty version, but it was very fiddly to do the hidden orders using that module.

I have a few suggestions/requests if you have the time/desire. ;)

1) Would it be possible to allow an option to use the simple text box for ship data like the AE has? I find the SFO one much more cumbersome to use and the weapons only seem to display only 1 at a time, further slowing things down. The text box from AE allows simple cut/paste which is very handy.

2) Would it be possible to replace some of the extraneous 'status' areas with the Order markers that are in play? As it stands now, the Order markers completely cover the ship piece making it more difficult to play and reducing the graphic look of the battle. Things like Sensor Status and Attitude etc arent used in SFO, so perhaps those areas of the ship piece could be converted to indicate in play orders instead?

3) FIghters. I have been unable to figure out how to properly use them in the SFO version. In the AE version, the fighter piece allowed simple addtion and subtraction of individual fighter icons such that it could display from 1-9 fighters easily. The SFO pieces just seem to have 'full' and 'damaged' status for the fighter pieces. Any way you could revert it or allow the AE option (which seems to fit much better with the SFO rules of having individual fighters forming 'squadron' pieces.

Thanks again for your work on this. I think with just a few changes, the SFO module could be very playable!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Uncle_Joe wrote:1) Would it be possible to allow an option to use the simple text box for ship data like the AE has? I find the SFO one much more cumbersome to use and the weapons only seem to display only 1 at a time, further slowing things down. The text box from AE allows simple cut/paste which is very handy.

Would not be a problem although that is strange, I had no problem and (you have to expand the box to see all details the first time) found it would keep the size that I left it at. Example below.
Vassal Tr2.png
Vassal Tr2.png (25.62 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

Uncle_Joe wrote:2) Would it be possible to replace some of the extraneous 'status' areas with the Order markers that are in play? As it stands now, the Order markers completely cover the ship piece making it more difficult to play and reducing the graphic look of the battle. Things like Sensor Status and Attitude etc arent used in SFO, so perhaps those areas of the ship piece could be converted to indicate in play orders instead?

Will see what I can do.

Uncle_Joe wrote:3) FIghters. I have been unable to figure out how to properly use them in the SFO version. In the AE version, the fighter piece allowed simple addtion and subtraction of individual fighter icons such that it could display from 1-9 fighters easily. The SFO pieces just seem to have 'full' and 'damaged' status for the fighter pieces. Any way you could revert it or allow the AE option (which seems to fit much better with the SFO rules of having individual fighters forming 'squadron' pieces.

Sorry forgot to change them back,will have to dig them out, deleted the extra graphics when I converted AE to Nova. They are the Nova Undamaged/Damaged flights.

Will see what I can do ASAP.

Paul

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 am

OK, so I see that you have to expand the box both vertically and horizontally in order for the weapon box to function properly. Got it, thanks! :) With that, this way might be better, but it is still a lot of inputs for each ship rather than just one cut/pass and a bit of clean up.

I guess either way will work and hence maybe an option would be the best approach if possible.

Thanks again for your time and effort on this. I look forward to seeing the next version!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

New file posted.
Blank sheet (noted Drake Notation for cut & Paste) added. graphics amended see marker key.
Version 1_1
Paul
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Fantastic! Greatly apprectiate the update and it makes the moduel much easier to use.

If you ever do another update, something that would be nice would be a way to delete an order rather than having to re-issue to same order (ie toggle) to remove it. It just removes a step of having to reveal an order to remove it if you make a mistake. Minor, but would still be a help at times (I found myself looking for a way to delete a face-down order more than once. ;) ).

Thank for the update. Now I'm off to convert a few of my friends to playing the game!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Uncle_Joe wrote:Fantastic! Greatly apprectiate the update and it makes the moduel much easier to use.

You are welcome, I do not mind doing these if I know that they are going to get used.

Uncle_Joe wrote:If you ever do another update, something that would be nice would be a way to delete an order rather than having to re-issue to same order (ie toggle) to remove it.

Sorry, I tried but the orders (such as CTRL V) are an On/Off toggle.

If anyone knows of another way to do these please say so.

Paul

Uncle_Joe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Uncle_Joe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 am

Hi,

I had to redownload Vassal and my modules and now for some reason the Drake Notation boxes for the Fleet Ops manual don't seem to function for me anymore. I can't type or paste to them.

Did I maybe install something improperly? Or is there some incompatibility with the latest version of Vassal?

Also, I noticed I can't seem to find a way to clear the 'movement trails' when playing. Maybe I'm just missing something but I recall them resetting every 'turn' before but maybe I'm misremembering and confusing it with the Nova version.

Thanks in advance for any help/info!

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 am

I will download the latest Vassal and try it today.
The movement trails should be deleted when you click the last button to the right "MOV".
Which version of Vassal are you using? 3.2.10?
I tend not to update it if it works for me so I am still on 3.2.2 :oops:

Paul

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Downloaded the latest vassal (3.2.10) and tested sfo version 1_2.
May have been my fault with the Drake notation, works now though.
Funny I remember using cut & paste to test it before. :?
Changed the property sheet setting & re-posted as 1_2.

Any other problems please say.
Paul
Buttons to wipe Movement trail & Fired markers tested with new vassal.
vassal_Clears Buttons.png
vassal_Clears Buttons.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

Return to “Files”