NOVA campaign (or SFO, SAE)

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

NOVA campaign (or SFO, SAE)

Postby mikeaxe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:23 pm

There have been a number of threads about what is the 'best' campaign for Stamada. While I'm attracted to overly complex ones the only ones that work in the real world are the simpler systems. This is due to the variations in player commitment and needing to match the lowest common denominator. :( With that in mind here is a campaign system I've had kicking around for a while and with the coming of NOVA decided to made a few 'adjustments' and publish.

The idea is to give some minimal structure for a group who want to link their 'scratch' games together. The system was originally written for Full thrust, so if you want you can ignore the Hull types when building your ship list. I would still limit the number of different designs however. The Legendary Officers are just a bit of fun, giving variety to the system generation. If you think they unbalance the game isn't that what Captain Kirk does? :P

The rules are pretty 'generic' so it would be easy to use with SFO or SAE simply by changing the effect of Legendary Officers.

Have Fun
Attachments
2460CEA Space campagin.pdf
(46.85 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by mikeaxe on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike P.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: NOVA campaign (or SFO, SAE)

Postby mj12games » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Not a bad start. You misspelled "Legendary" once. :)

Some of the options assume certain rules are in effect -- in particular, the "Ace" ability, which would become irrelevant if using simultaneous play.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mikeaxe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Funny my spell checker did not catch Legindary :? oh well I have changed it.

On the point about the which play options you use, I did think about allowing aces to choose a bonus to hit an enemy or a penalty to an enemies shot but not both in the same 'turn'. But basically the Ace just does it to you before you get to do it to him/her/it and the captain goes 'Ha I thought that was what they would do'! So I would allow Aces and Captains to just move/fire out of sequence regardless of the options used by the rest of us mortals. :D Unless you are dead lucky/unlucky there are very few in the game anyway. In a game of up to 8 systems you should only have one or two special systems. However a knowing some peoples luck with the dice ...

I'm not suggesting by the way that these officers should be introduced outside this 'bounded' campaign as it can seriously unbalance the game system. And of course if anyone wants to have different abilities in their campaign please feel free to do so and post them.
Mike P.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

I do like the "wager" aspect -- i.e. you can attack an opponent's system only if you're willing to risk one of your own.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Hmm... some interesting ideas. I agree that the wager aspect is probably good. One thing I'm not seeing anywhere are rules for gaining reinforcements or building new ships; is this an omission, or the intent? Not sure, because it's a very common thing to see in these sort of systems.

(Wait, nevermind - didn't realize that it was "design ships, deploy as desired in any number with no damage carrying / attrition". This solves the crap out of the snowballing victory problem... Interesting.)

Return to “Files”