Shipyard Nova

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 am

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Just a minor issue--cross-checked with the other arc diagrams and, because the dark hexes are where the weapon fires into, the LA/RA arcs are the same as the LP/RP arcs. I do seem to be the bearer of bad news for you, don't I... :|

Thanks, Sometimes I have days like that, just not seeing what I am doing. :oops:
Good of you to take the time to correct me.

Probably happens to a few people, thinking of the person that re-wrote the rulebook for DUST.
But in their case I am sure the book was mucked up (badly worded changes to the rules in the book) and rather than admit it (which would probably mean a reprint) insist that it is correct. Certainly seems to have caused a bit of confusion.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 am

Well, someone's got to keep you on your toes...:P
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

saxophone
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby saxophone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:34 am

I'm new to the Nova system. I'm trying to enter the stats for the Imperial Belligerent CR listed in the book. For the Lighting Turrets, I have 3 banks with separate firing arcs. However, the Attack Dice numbers are triple the values that appear in the book. What am I doing wrong?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:07 pm

saxophone wrote:I'm new to the Nova system. I'm trying to enter the stats for the Imperial Belligerent CR listed in the book. For the Lighting Turrets, I have 3 banks with separate firing arcs. However, the Attack Dice numbers are triple the values that appear in the book. What am I doing wrong?

My guess would be the BAS figure, do you have the weapons (By the AE/ISS book entry) filled in like the example below? If so the attack dice should be as in the Nova.
Paul
Belligerent weapons in Nova.png
Belligerent weapons in Nova.png (11.34 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

saxophone
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby saxophone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:15 pm

All I have is the Nova rulebook. I don't now what BAS stands for. I have the Belligerent class as presented in the rulebook as follows...

Belligerent NOVA screenshot.jpg
Belligerent NOVA screenshot.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

Where do I find the BAS for the weapons? Are they listed in the NOVA rulebook?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

BAS is a battery's base attack dice strength, the standard being 1 but it can be any figure you choose (page 47).
This is the starting figure in working out the attack dice string for the data card.
Only the SFU books give weapon BAS figures as they are fixed for each of the weapon systems used on the trek ships.

All of the ship examples in the Nova rule book came from books in the Admiralty Edition series. Dan converted them using the rules from page 62. The BAS figures that I put in my reply were from converting the weapons in the Admiralty Edition ISS book, much easier than trying to work out the starting BAS figure used for a Nova Edition data card.
I am not saying that it cannot be done, you start with BAS 1 and change it up or down until the resulting attack dice string agree with what you want. It just takes a little longer :)
There are threads which dealt with Dan's ship conversions; some of which got tweaked in the process.
Hope that helps.

Paul

saxophone
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby saxophone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Next question, how do I get the ARC modifiers to match up the Beligerent in the rule book? Do I just play around with the Weapon # until I get it right?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 pm

saxophone wrote:Next question, how do I get the ARC modifiers to match up the Beligerent in the rule book? Do I just play around with the Weapon # until I get it right?

Without the original Admiralty books it is the only way, you do get used to it. As a general rule of thumb the higher the modifier in a battery means less number of weapons in that arc.
The weapons example I gave is for the Belligerent (from the book) so you could just copy the numbers from that.

Paul

saxophone
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby saxophone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 pm

So it sounds like this spreadsheet is ideal for converting ship designs from Admiralty to NOVA. Is this spreadsheet useful to designing NOVA ships from scratch? If not, is there a better tool?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 am

saxophone wrote:So it sounds like this spreadsheet is ideal for converting ship designs from Admiralty to NOVA. Is this spreadsheet useful to designing NOVA ships from scratch? If not, is there a better tool?

There is the official online tool at:
http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/drydock/

Shipyard Nova is intended for designing Nova ships from scratch and I keep it up to date with all options (Nova has evolved a little since the core rules came out). The spreadsheet will let you design any ship from the core rules up to the latest SFU book. Plus a few options not included in the rules like the additional arcs and faceted shields.
That is why there is not a specific data card, too many options and changes for a single data card design to work.
Still, it is easy enough to copy/paste the pieces together for the data card that you want.
Some bits I have been requested to add and others I thought might be useful like the part where you can enter Admiralty weapon stats and get Nova BAS & Traits.

There are a couple of spreadsheets in the files section. Which is best? I'd say whichever one you feel more comfortable using.
Whichever you decide to use, if you have problems with it there is usually someone on the forum that can help.

Paul

Return to “Files”