Shipyard Nova

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby OldnGrey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:Hope everyone is well, been spooky-quiet around here!
Paul, I was hoping that you could help me with a request for the shipyard...I'm doing some ships and would like to use "quarter" arcs.
I was hoping that this would be something you could add to the Shipyard. I'm honestly surprised that after I had looked through the forum no one had asked for or suggested this arrangement before (it turns up in a few B5wars designs if nothing else). I realize there is an official arc that is close, but I would prefer these custom ones if you have the time. If not I'll probably just add them to my copy of the shipyard. Thanks,
Erik

Do not see why not, later on ok? Modifiers PQ/SQ 1.16, QP/QS 0.8 I will plug into the sheets.
It has been very quiet, you would think AE is dead and Nova at a standstill. I look at it that they all have their uses.
My pet project is slow, been trying hard to get away from in front of a computer (but it is not easy if I want to print some acrylic film decals - been repainting some star trek tactics ships).
Pet project now has British, Austrian, German, Japanese and so far Three Russian ships.

Paul

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 am

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Hey, what about my latest setting? I only released it three weeks ago...:)

Lately I've been working on a operational-strategic campaign system. It does need some work, though...:)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby OldnGrey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:05 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Hey, what about my latest setting? I only released it three weeks ago...:)

Lately I've been working on a operational-strategic campaign system. It does need some work, though...:)

Three weeks can seem like a lifetime! :)

Shipyard Nova 20131019 posted.
Added a pdf showing the Forum Arcs which can be trimmed and put in the rule book as a reminder.

Paul
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 am
Location: People's Republic of MA

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 am

OldnGrey wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:Hey, what about my latest setting? I only released it three weeks ago...:)

Lately I've been working on a operational-strategic campaign system. It does need some work, though...:)

Three weeks can seem like a lifetime! :)

Shipyard Nova 20131019 posted.
Added a pdf showing the Forum Arcs which can be trimmed and put in the rule book as a reminder.

Paul


Thanks Paul, as always, I wish the rest the rest of the universe was as responsive as you! I particularly appreciate the addition of the forum arc sheet to the package.
I for one don't post up many of my creations anymore as it takes a lot of time away from my already limited free time to format and organize things neatly. Hmm, maybe I need to hire an assistant to help me out with my hobbies! :lol:
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 am

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 am

OldnGrey wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:Hey, what about my latest setting? I only released it three weeks ago...:)

Lately I've been working on a operational-strategic campaign system. It does need some work, though...:)

Three weeks can seem like a lifetime! :)

Shipyard Nova 20131019 posted.
Added a pdf showing the Forum Arcs which can be trimmed and put in the rule book as a reminder.

Paul


Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, at the moment I have tried to work on a space-based setting but I keep on getting ideas for naval-based settings and, considering two of my last three settings have been naval-based, it might get a little tedious. I'm especially interested in the Greek Hydra-class battleship/coastal defence ship because of their unusual layout--three ~10" guns, two in a battery forward and one in a turret aft, five ~6" guns, four in the same battery as the ~10", two forward and two aft, with the fifth one firing forward (I think), and a post-refit armament addition of one 3.9" and eight 2.5", the latter on the broadside--it appeals to me in the same way the Descari Scorran did in B5W--it's not the ultimate warship, but its an attempt to build a capital ship on a budget.
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:07 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote: I'm especially interested in the Greek Hydra-class battleship/coastal defence ship because of their unusual layout--three ~10" guns, two in a battery forward and one in a turret aft, five ~6" guns, four in the same battery as the ~10", two forward and two aft, with the fifth one firing forward (I think), and a post-refit armament addition of one 3.9" and eight 2.5", the latter on the broadside--it appeals to me in the same way the Descari Scorran did in B5W--it's not the ultimate warship, but its an attempt to build a capital ship on a budget.

Is that the class built 1889-90? If it is, it is a little weird that the two forward 10.6" were 36 cals and the rear (in a turret) 30 cals. They must have been quite restricted with the (Bridge deck wings?) above them. I always have to smile when I see some of the guns carried on the early Battleships like this class - 8 x 9pdr, 4 x 3pdr and 6 to 8 x 1pdr. Must have been used fighting Pirates :lol:
The only book I have for pre WW2 naval ships is "Jane's fighting ships of World War I" which is a reprint of Jane's 1919 incorporating Janes 1914, which does not give a layout diagram for Hydra and the two sister ships, only description and not very good pictures.

Paul

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 am
Location: People's Republic of MA

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 pm

OldnGrey wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote: I'm especially interested in the Greek Hydra-class battleship/coastal defence ship because of their unusual layout--three ~10" guns, two in a battery forward and one in a turret aft, five ~6" guns, four in the same battery as the ~10", two forward and two aft, with the fifth one firing forward (I think), and a post-refit armament addition of one 3.9" and eight 2.5", the latter on the broadside--it appeals to me in the same way the Descari Scorran did in B5W--it's not the ultimate warship, but its an attempt to build a capital ship on a budget.

Is that the class built 1889-90? If it is, it is a little weird that the two forward 10.6" were 36 cals and the rear (in a turret) 30 cals. They must have been quite restricted with the (Bridge deck wings?) above them. I always have to smile when I see some of the guns carried on the early Battleships like this class - 8 x 9pdr, 4 x 3pdr and 6 to 8 x 1pdr. Must have been used fighting Pirates :lol:
The only book I have for pre WW2 naval ships is "Jane's fighting ships of World War I" which is a reprint of Jane's 1919 incorporating Janes 1914, which does not give a layout diagram for Hydra and the two sister ships, only description and not very good pictures.

Paul


Google Books online has several editions of Brassey's Naval Annual preserved/scanned. see: http://books.google.com/books?id=IDoAAA ... al&f=false

Not only are the articles are technically interesting, but many give great insight into what contemporary naval theorists were thinking (see the articles about Dreadnought before she was even floating).

All the light guns (those small "pounders") were for anti-torpedo-boat defense; small and light enough to aim quickly and with rapid fire. Although, even at the time, there were many that felt bigger QF guns were better at the job, just about every ship had light cannon of all sizes bolted to whatever free space they could find.

My current project may or may not, ahem, be doing every warship class afloat in the year 1906. My biggest problem has been deciding if I should do them as straight up historical naval ships...or SCI-FI them (Golden age style). Eventually, maybe I'll even post a few when they are done, if only to break murtalianconfederacy's monopoly of the Basin ;)
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 am

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 am

@Blacklancer99: Please do--it'd be nice to see them...:D

I think they'd be great as straight-up historical ships, if only because that way you could fight the Battle of Tsushima or the Yellow Sea in S:NE, and it'd be great to have two sets of well-thought-out naval settings for Starmada overall (including bekosh's Ironclad Armada)

I've been able to get Brassey's Naval Annuals 1887/8, 1896, 1897, 1902, 1906, 1912, 1915 and 1923 from the archive website, but unfortunately nothing else.

@OldnGrey: Yep, those are the ones. I like the unusual naval ships--I really liked the Helgoland and Tordenskjold a few years ago--the Helgoland with a single 12" in a barbette forward and four 10" in a battery, and the Tordenskjold with a single 14" and three 4.7" (IIRC)--and that's why I named some of the Iron Stars ships I designed after them/
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 am
Location: People's Republic of MA

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby Blacklancer99 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 am

murtalianconfederacy wrote:@Blacklancer99: Please do--it'd be nice to see them...:D

,

I doubt I will ever get all of the ships up in an organized fashion, though I could probably just upload the cards without fancy formatting and fluff.

murtalianconfederacy wrote:I think they'd be great as straight-up historical ships, if only because that way you could fight the Battle of Tsushima or the Yellow Sea in S:NE


The set of ships that I am doing is post Tsushima, so the ships lost wouldn't be included. My intention is to have the ships that were the state of the art pre-Dreadnought, so I chose the 1906 active fleet lists.

murtalianconfederacy wrote: and it'd be great to have two sets of well-thought-out naval settings for Starmada overall (including bekosh's Ironclad Armada)

Well, that supposes I am doing something well-thought-out! :lol: Honestly I have already put about 6 months of free time into the project and found I had to revise a number of conversion factors. In the end the most difficult thing for me was finding the proper "scale" that could portray a King Edward VII battleship and a 34 ton torpedo boat (thanks for the flotilla rules there!). Also, I am not dealing with sailing vessels, only steamers...lots of ships of the era still had a sailing rig if only for cruising economy but for combat they have no bearing. Also, as Starmada is at a very abstract scale I have "rounded the edges off" many of the designs (grouping some light guns, simplifying weapon layouts) so the final result isn't going to be a scientific modelling of the historic ships. This last bit is the main reason I have been considering making them into sci-fi space ships; some people might get picky about the details that I have altered if they take the ship as an accurate historical model. I may still end up going that way in the end, I'll have to see.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 am

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 am

Don't worry too much about any 'official release' with fancy formatting--I'm quite happy to just see the ships, myself...:D

Re: Tsushima--well, I think that if you're able to post the conversion rules if/when you release your magnum opus, then those that want to game Tsushima (for example, me :D) can do their own conversions. That's what I did when bekosh released Ironclad Armada, posting up Brazilian ironclads I was able to find and also some British cruisers...

I'm glad I was able to help WRT the flotilla rules, and I'm happy that someone is actually using them besides myself...:)

Regarding historical accuracy: This is my own personal opinion here, but I'm of the opinion that there's only so far you can go in the pursuit of accuracy and maintaining playability, especially WRT a conversion into a system that is designed to be playable and capable of being modified into whatever setting you want. I know I want to be better myself when designing historically-inspired ships such as those in 'Gift of the Custodians' (which is one of the reasons I've spent the last two weeks searching for copies of Conway's, Brassey's et al.,), but I know that the conversion process of a real-life ship into a wargaming system, particularly one that is designed to allow multiple different settings to be created, is always going to have some rough edges.

So, IMHO, don't worry about the grouping of light guns--a few days ago I found Battlefleet 1900 (or re-found, I should say)--it's not exactly a beer-and-pretzel game, and the rules grouped the light anti-torpedo boat guns into a single gun type where the total throw-weight of the guns determine the number of 'boat guns' in the battery. If a game with that level of complexity groups light guns into a single battery, I think you can be excused when you do the same...;)

Simplifying some arcs isn't a major problem either--none of the guns onboard historical ships seemed to have a nice, easy divisible-by-60 arc, and as long as its close enough, it should be okay (no giving a casement-mounted gun a 240 degree arc, for example). At least, that's what Paul (bekosh) told me when I was converting some ships for Ironclad Armada...:D

So, that's my opinion. I'm sure some people might feel differently, and might not like the fact you haven't modelled every single 1 pdr gun onboard a 2nd-class battleship, but as long as you've come as close as you think you can to the real-life vessel, then that's fine.
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)


Return to “Files”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest