Shipyard Nova

A home for player-submitted files related to Starmada
TimothyHD

Can't get it to work

Postby TimothyHD » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 am

If I edit the thrust or hull values I get #value errors. It is not calculating the O/D/CRT values, so I don't get an overall value. Very confused.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Can't get it to work

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:39 am

TimothyHD wrote:If I edit the thrust or hull values I get #value errors. It is not calculating the O/D/CRT values, so I don't get an overall value. Very confused.

Hi,
You should not be able to enter anything if the downloaded file has not been "unzipped" so I will dismiss that cause.
Even if you exceed the SSD hull limit of 120 it should still calculate the values so my first guess would be a software incompatibility.
(Microsoft had a way of changing how things are done in excel).
You do not say where exactly the errors were showing or the software you are using to open the sheet. I have just checked the files on here and they work ok.
One thing, check that your software has not changed the validity of the cells, stopping you from entering a number.

Paul

TimothyHD

Re: Shipyard Nova

Postby TimothyHD » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Attached are a couple of screenshots. I'm running Apache Open office. LibreOffice worked even less well.

I selected all cells and set them to Number.
Attachments
ScreenshotB.png
ScreenshotB.png (165.37 KiB) Viewed 453 times
ScreenshotA.png
ScreenshotA.png (118.68 KiB) Viewed 453 times

TimothyHD

Postby TimothyHD » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Ok. I've figure out the problem. When I enter hull or thrust, it enters a string of numbers (5 4 3 2 1, etc.). If I hit delete I can clear those extra numbers. Then it works. Any idea why it enters that string or another way around it?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:05 pm

I must admit this has me baffled.
I am using open office 4.1.2 and I just can not get it to do what is happening.
Firstly, do not set All cells to numbers, some searches use text.
Try turning off the autocorrect when using calc.

Do you have any macros running? if so turn them off.
After you have deleted the extra string of numbers and it is working does save and re-open solve the problem?
This might be a question for openoffice.org.

paul

TeknoMerk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby TeknoMerk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:40 pm

I see the same problem as Timothy on the latest OpenOffice and the past several versions, but I just delete the extra text. This seems to be some auto-fill or some kind of "auto-help" that we picked up through our OO settings. I think the only way to find out the root cause is to go through the OO settings, disable anything that is auto-correct or auto-fill and see if the problem is reproducible. I will try when I have a moment.

UPDATE: I tried to reproduce the problem with OO 4.0.0 and 4.1.2, but I cannot reproduce it anymore. Timothy, I would suggest going through your OO setting and turn off any auto-fill feature to see if that improves your experience. As Paul said, this is an OO problem and not something specific to the Nova spreadsheet.
<> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= <>

TeknoMerk

Return to “Files”