After Action

Unit-based, continuous action, fantasy skirmish game

Moderator: underling

yesman
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: After Action

Postby yesman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:22 pm

I see, yes, factoring in movement would up the cost quite a bit. Was the decision to include movement made after publication? At first blush, the example troops with ranged weapons seem a bit low-cost for movement being calculated into the Ranged Weapon Factor (I could be wrong though, I haven't calculated them).

Could you point me in the right direction for the ARES FAQ ? Or any Errata that exists?

tim

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm

yesman wrote:I see, yes, factoring in movement would up the cost quite a bit. Was the decision to include movement made after publication? At first blush, the example troops with ranged weapons seem a bit low-cost for movement being calculated into the Ranged Weapon Factor (I could be wrong though, I haven't calculated them).
Could you point me in the right direction for the ARES FAQ ? Or any Errata that exists?
tim

I did all of the point costing for the bestiary, and I'm fairly certain that movement was not included in the ranged weapon factors. At this point in time, I believe the "official" stance is that ranged weapon factors do not include movement. So unless it's stated differently in the FAQ, that's the approach I'd take.
As an aside, I believe it should be, and in any subsequent ARES release I'm guessing it will be.
Ultimately, Dan will have the final say on this.

My own, "totally non-official," opinion on the value of ranged combat is that, assuming a certain level of blocking terrain, it actually decreases non-linearly as the range increases. For example, if your table is set up so that you never have a line of sight longer than 20 inches, you shouldn't be paying "full price" for a ranged weapon with a range of 25 (range band 5).

As for the FAQ, I have no idea where it is.
In my opinion there should be a "FAQ sticky" for every MJ-12 game system right here in the forum.
Kevin

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 am

I thought that there was errata that took care of the non-movement in the ranged weapons issue?

Flying Death Monkeys?

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Flying Death Monkeys propelled by flaming flatulence, wielding chainsaws!
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:30 pm

jimbeau wrote:I thought that there was errata that took care of the non-movement in the ranged weapons issue?
Flying Death Monkeys?

Couldn't tell ya, since it's nowhere to be found.
;)

Return to “ARES”