Is there ANY interest out there...

Unit-based, continuous action, fantasy skirmish game

Moderator: underling

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Is there ANY interest out there...

Postby thedugan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:21 pm

...in a 'Kaiju' version of ARES? Just wondering.

Kevin was kvetching, and ARES was on the list, so.....
:geek:
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Is there ANY interest out there...

Postby Blackronin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I am. :roll:
But would you really, really want to know about my personal idea of it? :?
I wonder. :(
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Fire away....I've got my own ideas, and I haven't had time to write them up.

Writing is NOT my strong suit, nor what i bring to the table here. So when I do post it, be gentle...
:D

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:30 pm

I’m thinking of a approach to the Kaijun type of universe based in two concepts. The “SJG Ogre” concept type of game and the “they are bigger than 10 stores buildings!” concept.

1) So, for one type of game, the Kaijun would have statistics of immense power and capabilities that would allow a solitaire type of game, lots of puny humans versus the beast.
2) In the other type of the game, the kaijun would be the center piece of the players “army” and the other pieces would be sidekicks of importance and relevance.
a) Units that maintain the control of the kaijun: “Try, my dear, try to send the telepathic order so the Fordzilla attacks the Nissanzilla!”
b) Units that draw the attention of the Kaijun: “Run, darling, while I draw his attention!”
c) Units that can attack each other or the Kaijun (doing little damage to the latter). “Don’t you understand, Captain, If we kill the woman, they lose control over the Porshezilla!”
3) The kaijun would have several actions per turn, while the “human type” units would have only one.
4) Building destruction, knock-downs, breath weapons, mecha-kaijun, and 6mm minis.
"Four-three by seventeen, Mr. Gordon. At my mark fire at the incoming little pest and then steam her up for another passage. This promises to be a long day..."

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:12 pm

what the heck is a kaijun?

I assume you don't mean "Kaijun Luo. Postdoctoral Scientist, Insect Cell Biology and Immunology" even tho she's kinda cute in an Asian sorta way...

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Its a fantasy game where the players have a bunch of miniatures of Wise Scientists, that enter Insect Cells and fight biological warfare battles with Immunology magically powerer Armours against insect cell guardians and with a minor appearance of... godzilla. :shock: And that's all...

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:24 am

jimbeau wrote:what the heck is a kaijun?

I assume you don't mean "Kaijun Luo. Postdoctoral Scientist, Insect Cell Biology and Immunology" even tho she's kinda cute in an Asian sorta way...

Nope, an explanation would be here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiju

:ugeek:

It's basiclly 'Godzilla Movies' from one perspective, but it could creep into other things - Super Fighting Teams, Giant Robots, Any kind of Monster movie, that sort of thing. Hell, even the Power Puff girls could be used in what I'm thinking about....

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:27 am

Blackronin wrote:I’m thinking of a approach to the Kaijun type of universe based in two concepts. The “SJG Ogre” concept type of game and the “they are bigger than 10 stores buildings!” concept.

I'm thinking Godzilla-type monsters, Giant Super Robots like Tranzor-Z(Manzinger) or Voltron - but also smaller units like the Armies in the eraly Godzilla movies, as well as the "Superheroes" like The Power Ranger fighting teams...and their Zords...

Blackronin wrote:1) So, for one type of game, the Kaijun would have statistics of immense power and capabilities that would allow a solitaire type of game, lots of puny humans versus the beast.

Yeah

I'm thinking that Kevin (Underling, IIRC) is right, you'd have to have dice pools, due to the size disparities between units.

Blackronin wrote:2) In the other type of the game, the kaijun would be the center piece of the players “army” and the other pieces would be sidekicks of importance and relevance.

Similiar to what Dan was envisioning in "Quantum Legions".

Blackronin wrote:a) Units that maintain the control of the kaijun: “Try, my dear, try to send the telepathic order so the Fordzilla attacks the Nissanzilla!”

heh....yeah, you'd need some 'hooks' in the scenarios.

Blackronin wrote:b) Units that draw the attention of the Kaijun: “Run, darling, while I draw his attention!”

Easy enough...

Blackronin wrote:c) Units that can attack each other or the Kaijun (doing little damage to the latter). “Don’t you understand, Captain, If we kill the woman, they lose control over the Porshezilla!”

I need a better reference, I'm not getting this one....

Blackronin wrote:3) The kaijun would have several actions per turn, while the “human type” units would have only one.

4) Building destruction, knock-downs, breath weapons, mecha-kaijun, and 6mm minis.

Yep.

I'm pondering the rules, don't see anything I disagree about.

Blackronin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Blackronin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:1) So, for one type of game, the Kaijun would have statistics of immense power and capabilities that would allow a solitaire type of game, lots of puny humans versus the beast.

Yeah

I'm thinking that Kevin (Underling, IIRC) is right, you'd have to have dice pools, due to the size disparities between units.

That, orf sheer number of hit dice being fired against the enemy.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:2) In the other type of the game, the kaijun would be the center piece of the players “army” and the other pieces would be sidekicks of importance and relevance.

Give me an example of this, please.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:c) Units that can attack each other or the Kaijun (doing little damage to the latter). “Don’t you understand, Captain, If we kill the woman, they lose control over the Porshezilla!”

Units that sole use is to attack other small units and not the Kaijun. Assassins, snippers, thugs, etc.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Yeah

That, orf sheer number of hit dice being fired against the enemy.

thedugan wrote:

Give me an example of this, please.

You've got a 'big' unit that has smaller units in support roles - like the 'general' in Warhammer with his troops.

Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Units that sole use is to attack other small units and not the Kaijun. Assassins, snippers, thugs, etc.

Ah...infantry attacking the support troops....

Return to “ARES”