Spitting Fire

Squadron-level WW2 aerial combat
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:18 pm

cricket wrote:So, we playtested this at Archon over the weekend...

Went well, all things considered, and the game played pretty much as I expected it to.

Of course, it did remind me why I vowed never to do an historical game again after Grand Fleets. :)

Would that reason be that the wargamer crowd will argue with you about stats, and which units can beat the others?
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Drugo

Postby Drugo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:56 am

where I can find the playtest rules? the link in the first message appears to be broken. thanks in advance!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:23 pm

Drugo wrote:where I can find the playtest rules? the link in the first message appears to be broken. thanks in advance!

Yup. The rules download was a victim of the changes we had to make post-hacker...

But that's okay, since I've improved them to the point where I think we're about ready for release. ;)

The key question at this point is, which aircraft to include? I've got data for over 300 different planes, but I only want about 10% for the initial release.

There are seven nations, and I thought it would be best to split their representation equally for the most part. I want to focus on fighters, even though ground attack planes and bombers will make an appearance. I also want to avoid jets/rockets for now... meaning the Me 262 will have to wait.

This is what I'm thinking; feedback appreciated:

BRITAIN:
Spitfire
Hurricane
Defiant
Mosquito

FRANCE:
D.520
M.S.406

GERMANY:
Bf 109
Bf 110
FW 190
Me 410

ITALY:
M.C.200
G.50

JAPAN:
A6M
Ki-43
D3A
Ki-84

RUSSIA:
I-16
Yak-9
La-5
Yak-1

USA:
Corsair
Lightning
Warhawk
Mustang
Thunderbolt
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Faustus21
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Faustus21 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:55 pm

Overall not a bad selection..

But I would Drop the Defiant, althrough its an itresting aircraft, it did not preform all that well.
Replace it with Gladiator maybe?

Me 410 intresting choice, be intresting to see how it plays.

I would drop one of the two Italian planes replace it with the Fiat CR.42 Falco
mostly for varity

I would suggest droping the D3A Val, maybe go with the KI- 27 Nate

With the US I would drop ethier the Mustang or Thunderbolt and go with the F4F Wildcat or the F2A Buffalo.

Mostly I reckon it would give a better overall selection of aircraft for players to use.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 pm

Faustus21 wrote:But I would Drop the Defiant, althrough its an itresting aircraft, it did not preform all that well.

Maybe. It'd be interesting to have a biplane in there. But I like the Defiant's turret. :)

Honestly, it's the only other German fighter I could see including, having rejected the 262 for now...

I would drop one of the two Italian planes replace it with the Fiat CR.42 Falco mostly for varity

Fair enough.

You're absolutely right. I just realized I'd dropped all the other dive bombers but kept the D3A/Type 99. I would want to include a non-Nakajima model... maybe the Ki-61?

With the US I would drop ethier the Mustang or Thunderbolt and go with the F4F Wildcat or the F2A Buffalo.

Well, the Mustang and Thunderbolt are the two most-produced American fighters of the war... can't imagine leaving either out.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Faustus21
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Faustus21 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:12 pm

Faustus21 wrote:

But I would Drop the Defiant, althrough its an itresting aircraft, it did not preform all that well.

Maybe. It'd be interesting to have a biplane in there. But I like the Defiant's turret. Smile

Lol, True is one of fav as well, I pity the poor ME 109, that dives from behind on it thinking its a spitfire. :shock:
Just thinking that any brits might feel a bit short changed...

Honestly, it's the only other German fighter I could see including, having rejected the 262 for now...

Yeah I was scracthing my head as well, it would not be fair just to give them a different varient of the 109/190 assuming the rules are detailed enought to be worth the while going to that length.

You're absolutely right. I just realized I'd dropped all the other dive bombers but kept the D3A/Type 99. I would want to include a non-Nakajima model... maybe the Ki-61?

The ki-61 looks like a good choice or maybe the Ki-100 to give the amercian fighteres a few worries

Well, the Mustang and Thunderbolt are the two most-produced American fighters of the war... can't imagine leaving either out.

I see your point, mostly I was thinking of trying to give a good spread since most of the fighters the US has a mid-late war.

Looking at the Russians it might be an idea to Drop one of the Yaks and go for ethier the Mig 1 or Mig 5. Just for variety

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm

Yeah I was scracthing my head as well, it would not be fair just to give them a different varient of the 109/190 assuming the rules are detailed enought to be worth the while going to that length.

The rules, while not as detailed as other games, would likely show some distinction between 109 variants-- but I agree that we should have a different design entirely.

The ki-61 looks like a good choice or maybe the Ki-100 to give the amercian fighteres a few worries

Ki-100 it is, then.

I see your point, mostly I was thinking of trying to give a good spread since most of the fighters the US has a mid-late war.

Fair enough. Maybe drop the Lightning and add the Wildcat?

Looking at the Russians it might be an idea to Drop one of the Yaks and go for ethier the Mig 1 or Mig 5. Just for variety

Okay... get rid of the Yak-1 and add the MiG-3.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:35 pm

Well, as far s the selection of fighters for the first release, is this to be a 'timeline'-based approach, like Iron Stars?

If that's the case (and I'd argue that it's a good way to provide some consistency), I'd start with planes extant during the Spanish Civil war, and go from there.
Last edited by thedugan on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Faustus21
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Faustus21 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:09 am

I could see the timeline idea but I reckon it might be better done as a general Taster package. The do a series on specific engaments.

So
Battle of Britan
Spainish Civil War
etc
Include planes, background and scens.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:02 pm

Just to prove I'm not sitting around doing nothing... :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Spitting Fire”