What is the Drake Notation?

This is where we all share our Starmada ship designs.
jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

What is the Drake Notation?

Postby jimbeau » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Peter Drake, a long-time fan and contributor has come up with a way of textually representing the Starmada Starship records in a most elegant and playable fasion. The thinking here, if I've got my history right is that there needed to be a way to display ships that didn't require proprietary programs or any platform-specific requirements. They also take up a lot less space on a page and can be imported into pretty much any other format using easy text-manipulation.

Drake Notation looks like this:

Infiltrator class Imperial Destroyer (178)
Hull: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Engines [TL0]: 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Shields [TL0]: 0
Weapons [TL0]:
[a] Green Lasers [3/6/9, 4+, 1/1/1]
ACE, ACE, ACE, ACE
[b ] Green Lasers Mk II [4/8/12, 3+, 1/1/2]
BDF, BDF, BDF, BDF
[c] Skysweepers [1/2/3, 3+, 1/1/1, Expendable, Range-Based ROF, Repeating,
Re-Rolls To-Hit Dice]
ACE, BDF
Special Equipment [TL0]:
Hyperdrive [O], Carronade [O], Point-Defense System [O],
Armor Plating, Anti-Fighter Batteries
[O]1[HQ], 2[Ea], 3[Hb], 4[Ec], 5[H], 6[E]

an example weapon would be

[a] Green Lasers [3/6/9, 4+, 1/1/1]
ACE, ACE, ACE, ACE

[ battery ] Fluffy Name [ RANGE, TH+, ROF/PEN/DMG. Special Ability, Special Ability, Special Ability ]
ARC, ARC, ARC, ARC

You can then print this directly from the web and use it in a game, it's not so pretty as a "regular" sheet, but it is functional and takes up a lot less real estate.

You can either use the ROF/PEN/DMG Bits and the Tech Level indicators or, if they're 1/1/1 then it's the default and you don't technically NEED it However being explicit will keep anyone from being completely confused.

I've revised my opinion on including default values. You must be explicit when you describe the weapons; e.g. use 2/1/2 not 2 ROF 2 DMG. It will save any confusion at all.

Return to “The Bourbaki Basin (Starmada X)”