Increasing Tech Levels in SFO...

A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Increasing Tech Levels in SFO...

Postby thedugan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:01 pm

I've got a simple way to increase the 'tech levels' available to ships in Space Fleet Omega.

Assuming we have 10 Space Units per Hull Point (the default value in Iron Stars) at Tech Level "0", we can increase it to 11 SU's per HP for tech level one, in addition to having more equipment available.

This makes the ships more capable, without any other extensive game modifications.

Alternatively, you could have Tech Levels at -1, -2, etc....to reflect poorer nations.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Increasing Tech Levels in SFO...

Postby mj12games » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:05 pm

thedugan wrote:I've got a simple way to increase the 'tech levels' available to ships in Space Fleet Omega.

Assuming we have 10 Space Units per Hull Point (the default value in Iron Stars) at Tech Level "0", we can increase it to 11 SU's per HP for tech level one, in addition to having more equipment available.

This makes the ships more capable, without any other extensive game modifications.

Alternatively, you could have Tech Levels at -1, -2, etc....to reflect poorer nations.

Sounds fine to me.

Obviously, the combat rating will need to remain unchanged so that proper balance can be achieved for pick-up games; but we can reward more advanced nations by basing maintenance costs on the ship size-- since higher TLs means more powerful ships at the same size, this represents a cost savings in the long term...

(Already thinking of the campaign system... :) )

Dan

P.S. Still no activity on the Omegapedia... :(
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Increasing Tech Levels in SFO...

Postby thedugan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 pm

cricket wrote:Sounds fine to me.

Obviously, the combat rating will need to remain unchanged so that proper balance can be achieved for pick-up games; but we can reward more advanced nations by basing maintenance costs on the ship size-- since higher TLs means more powerful ships at the same size, this represents a cost savings in the long term...
(Already thinking of the campaign system... :) )

We could use the same system for Iron Stars, once we get to the post-WW2 era...

cricket wrote:P.S. Still no activity on the Omegapedia... :(

Hmm....

SDG also is suffering from a lack of activity, though not as badly as SFO. I chalk that up to the summertime activities that even gamers succumb to....:-)

I could adapt my SFB Kzyrans for use in SFO, I suppose....I've no idea where to place them, though.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

KDLadage
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KDLadage » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Assuming that you hold that each tech level represents a "10%" shift in internal volume... the tech level chart would look something like this:

Code: Select all

TL     _A_   _B_
-5     5     6.2
-4     6     6.8
-3     7     7.5
-2     8     8.3
-1     9     9.1
 0    10    10.0
+1    11    11.0
+2    12    12.1
+3    13    13.3
+4    14    14.6
+5    15    16.1

The _A_ column would be if you wanted to use a simpler system (I would suggest it); the _B_ column is if you want to maintain a strict 10% rule...

I like it...

hundvig
Commander
Commander

Postby hundvig » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:05 am

Do we really need to get past WW2 for this to be useful in IS? Seems to me like the tech is already jumping up pretty fast in specific areas, and historically the whole era was a time of rapid changes in naval architecture...

Rich

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:21 pm

hundvig wrote:Do we really need to get past WW2 for this to be useful in IS? Seems to me like the tech is already jumping up pretty fast in specific areas, and historically the whole era was a time of rapid changes in naval architecture...

Perhaps not... I'll cross-post there and see what people think.

Dan
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Space Fleet Omega”