>
> I don't remember where, but there was a discussion once about a
combined
> Japanese/British tradition and how that might play out as a world-
wide (or
> galaxy-wide) Empire.
>
> Imagine the importance of tea! :)

Shudder. What a ghastly thought, a galaxy full of tea-swilling island-dwellers. :)

How about a religious organization as Evil Empire? One that's very much into the convert-or-die thing, maybe with telepaths to ensure sincerity? Or perhaps just a theocracy with intolerable-to-the- neighborhood beliefs, like requiring mass sacrifices of unbelievers to keep the suns burning or somesuch? Or a combination of both?

The question to which this was a reply is still outstanding...

In the writeup on Omegapedia, I state that the squids "are the most omnipresent antagonists within the SFO universe; while not always at the direct center of the plots and assaults upon Humanity in general and Space Fleet Omega in particular, they are never far removed."

So, are the Ikai'i our "evil empire", or will there be something else? Is the Federation/Directorate itself the "bad guys"?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:01 pm

jwhsu01 wrote:
> For the role of "evil empire", is it important to have an
> advisary who is expansionist from a military, religious, or
> economic perspective? What about an empire who invades
> because it views everybody else as food or an empire which is
> so overcrowded (either due to a high reproductive rate or a
> lack of habitable planets) that it must invade to relieve
> population pressures? Just some ideas.

Just posting this here to ensure the most recent discussion is reflected on the forum...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:04 pm

jwhso01 wrote:Given the prior discussion on how one travels in the SFO universe, I see a combinaton of both separate empire and yakusa cells as a way to subvert the federation (I am not familiar with the show so I'm not sure if the Ikai'i were directly responsible for the fall of the federation). The reason for the combination is the following:

1) If the Ikai'i are supposedly very good at infiltration/recon and travel between sectors is somewhat difficult due to limited access to gates, then operations within each sector would be mostly independent of each other as limited communication/access would make it difficult to coordinate subversive actions across sectors of space.

2) Because of the difficulty with communication, coordination among sectors would be overseen by a centralized authority who would be responsible for long term strategic planning and establishment of timetables to complete those goals. Specific details on how to achieve those goals would be the responsibility of the sector groups (cells, operatives ?).

With this arrangement, the sector groups would subvert federation sectors independently and at a predetermined time, the goups would strike simultaneously, crippling the Federation's ability to respond while the Ikai'i empire (kingdom, whatever politicial organization they are) invades. In this manner, the Ikai'i do not have to have a overpowering military/economic advantage over the Federation to bring about its downfall.

p.s. I apologize if I don't get all the facts/terminology correct as real life and a 10 month old really interferes with creativity.
Additionally, scanning the entire message board in 2 hours at 11 pm does have a tendency to make ones ability to make coherent suspect :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Space Fleet Omega”