A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
Nahuris
Captain
Captain

Re: Introducing... The Omegapedia!

Postby Nahuris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm in...

Nahuris
Retreating? Hell no, we're just attacking in the other direction......!!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:35 pm

jimbeau wrote:what I'm saying is, if you give me a dump of the database, I can get the info out of it...I wasn't volunteering for anything.

I sort of figured that was what you meant - that alone will help - it means less stuff for me to generate (again)...

I guess we wait until Dan says something now...
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:37 am

thedugan wrote:I think the "treat this like it actually happened" shtick just didn't work for me....I'm not a fan-boy by nature.

Considering that is the whole point of the thing... this would seem to be a rather significant handicap. ;)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 am

I can probably write up the TV series as postulated, Its the difference between ACTING and writing. I can't "act" even if I'm writing it. I tried to do the SCA thing (good lord, almost twenty years ago) - I just couldn' t do the whole 'thee and thou' thing. I felt ridiculous even hanging about those guys, as much fun as whacking each other with rattan sticks looked. The pre-requisite that I ACT like a guy from the dark ages killed it for me. Armor and foam-covered sword, sure - dress in carpet scraps? - sorry no thank you....
:)

Like I told Jim, i'm assembling the skeleton. I hope I'm not being presumptious in doing so. I've got a few ideas, and I'm beginning to get a feel for what to do with this. Having the rest of the Wiki entries will come in handy, but I'll still have questions - even after that.

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:00 pm

thedugan wrote:Like I told Jim, i'm assembling the skeleton. I hope I'm not being presumptious in doing so. I've got a few ideas, and I'm beginning to get a feel for what to do with this. Having the rest of the Wiki entries will come in handy, but I'll still have questions - even after that.

Methinks that the apocryphal premise must be kept good sir, lest we lose sight of the goal. Thy work to date is admirable, but bring back the actors

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 pm

jimbeau wrote:
thedugan wrote:Like I told Jim, i'm assembling the skeleton. I hope I'm not being presumptious in doing so. I've got a few ideas, and I'm beginning to get a feel for what to do with this. Having the rest of the Wiki entries will come in handy, but I'll still have questions - even after that.

Methinks that the apocryphal premise must be kept good sir, lest we lose sight of the goal. Thy work to date is admirable, but bring back the actors

Alrighty - but I have to paint and put up the trim and soffitts first, and my son wants me to take him down to Best Buy so he can buy a better computer. He's going to make time payments on one, so he doesn't spend all his Tax Return. Computers are getting CHEAP...

This evening, if everything works out.

Nahuris
Captain
Captain

Postby Nahuris » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Let's look into the overall storylines for each season.... and then see about fitting the episodes.

We need to remember to leave a cliff hanger at key episodes, and make sure we end each season at a cliff hanger as well... I have ideas, but I don't want to dump them all out if the storyline, as already written, would contradict it.... I'd rather have a unified effort rather than working at cross purposes.

Nahuris
Retreating? Hell no, we're just attacking in the other direction......!!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Nahuris wrote:Let's look into the overall storylines for each season.... and then see about fitting the episodes.

Feel free to suggest how the first season (which I'm about halfway through) should work out, bearing in mind Jim's suggestions.

Nahuris wrote:We need to remember to leave a cliff hanger at key episodes, and make sure we end each season at a cliff hanger as well... I have ideas, but I don't want to dump them all out if the storyline, as already written, would contradict it.... I'd rather have a unified effort rather than working at cross purposes.

Sure, and I'll mod the episodes as needed. I remember the episode guide on the old yahoo group, and wish I had that now.

Does anyone have that?

I'm writing these out in Notepad, and just dumping them on the list for review - in fact, I've just added the 'actors' in as Jim requested and will post that shortly.

I've got some ideas on the motivation of Xerxes Bolar, and will post that in due time, once I've worked it out better in my mind.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Nahuris wrote:Let's look into the overall storylines for each season.... and then see about fitting the episodes.

We need to remember to leave a cliff hanger at key episodes, and make sure we end each season at a cliff hanger as well... I have ideas, but I don't want to dump them all out if the storyline, as already written, would contradict it.... I'd rather have a unified effort rather than working at cross purposes.

This is not how TV shows worked... "story arcs" and season-ending cliffhangers were unknown until the late '80s (the first cliffhanger I remember was to season 3 of ST:TNG, while story arcs were introduced by X-Files and Bab5).

So, since this was a REAL SHOW in the early '80s, these would be anachronistic.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 pm

cricket wrote:

This is not how TV shows worked... "story arcs" and season-ending cliffhangers were unknown until the late '80s (the first cliffhanger I remember was to season 3 of ST:TNG, while story arcs were introduced by X-Files and Bab5).

So, since this was a REAL SHOW in the early '80s, these would be anachronistic.

Yeah, I keep thinking in 'present tense'.

Trek, Starsky and Hutch, anything I remember from back then - it was all (with VERY few exceptions) 'one shots'.

You could play an episode at ANY point, and it would (more or less) make sense.

Which screws up my 'plotline' some.

Return to “Space Fleet Omega”