Introducing... The Omegapedia!

A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
Nahuris
Captain
Captain

Re: Introducing... The Omegapedia!

Postby Nahuris » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Understood --- need to reset my brain to the Buck Rogers time with Gil Gerard....LOL

Although 2-parters did happen occasionally.

Nahuris
Retreating? Hell no, we're just attacking in the other direction......!!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Nahuris wrote:Understood --- need to reset my brain to the Buck Rogers time with Gil Gerard....LOL

Another piece of 'entertainment I'd just as soon forget...
diggee, diggee, diggee, diggee.....

Nahuris wrote:Although 2-parters did happen occasionally.

Along with the occasional mini-series...
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Nahuris wrote:Understood --- need to reset my brain to the Buck Rogers time with Gil Gerard....LOL

Nahuris

Didn't Gil Gerard have a guest spot as a disenchanted hero from an earlier war during the first season? :)
Cheers,
E
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 am

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Nahuris

Didn't Gil Gerard have a guest spot as a disenchanted hero from an earlier war during the first season? :)
Cheers,
E

okay, I read two partners and thought nahuris you lucky dog

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:14 am

Is Gil Gerard actually an actor?

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:18 am

thedugan wrote:Is Gil Gerard actually an actor?

Naw, but he played one on TV.
E
Mark Twain.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Nahuris

Cheers,
E

Ok I finally found the episode I was thinking of. Searching through old video tapes for the right episode is a painful exercise! I really should get the SFO DVD box sets one of these days when I can save up the $$$. Anyway, it turns out it was actually Jack Charles who played the worn out hero, Captain Cal Stone.
My bad :oops:
Cheers,
Erik
Mark Twain.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

What war was he in? I don't have that episode, and I'm filling out the character roster.

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 am

thedugan wrote:What war was he in? I don't have that episode, and I'm filling out the character roster.

I’m not sure where the episode falls in the chronology, when I was taping the show it was already in syndication, and not always shown in order. The name of the episode is “Gilded Cage”. You should remember it, it is the classic “main character meets idol, idol turns out to be a jerk, main character gives idol a tongue lashing, by the end idol rediscovers what is good about himself” story. The Endeavour is docked for re-supply and find out they will be carrying a VIP to the warzone for a “photo op”: Captain Cal Stone. Captain Antonov talks about how he heard a young then Lieutenant Commander Stone give the keynote at his academy graduation. Stone was what every cadet wanted to be; dashing, daring and a brilliant tactician. He never mentions the war being fought then, but Antonov does specifically mention that Stone’s tactics at Arcturus have become something that every cadet studies now.
Then Stone comes on board and despite the hero worship of the crew, or perhaps because of it, he spends the first half of the episode being a drunk, rude, a-hole. Finally Antonov confronts him and it comes out that Stone is bitter because all he ever wanted to do was command a starship, and his fame has cost him that. Now he is too important for propaganda and spends all of his time smiling for pictures and giving inspirational speeches. He tells Antonov that they want to make him a tactics instructor at the academy, and that would be like being gelded. Antonov goes off on Stone about duty, selflessness and all that, which seems to sting Stone. Then alarm starts going off.
At the start of the second half hour the Endeavour is attacked by an apparently superior enemy force. As the two captains reach the bridge and assess the situation, Antonov offers Stone, as the senior officer, to command the ship. After a moment of hesitation, Stone smiles at the younger captain and declines, saying that the Endeavour is Antonov’s ship. Instead Stone volunteers to join the damage control effort and departs the bridge. The fight goes on for a while, and Endeavour suffers a series of hits that lead to a series of internal explosions. One of the explosions sends structural members toppling onto Stone and several young crewmembers engaged in emergency repairs. As emergency doors begin an extremely slow decent to seal off the area that is now venting air, an injured crewman drags the badly wounded Stone to the nearest door and rolls him under it before it can close. Stone protests as the young man saves him rather than himself. The crewman says through the last little bit of open door as it closes that he’s proud to have served alongside the Captain. As the door finally seals, Stone replies that he is proud to have served with a hero.
Finally the battle winds down and Endeavour and her crew survive. The episode ends with a bandaged Stone in sickbay with Antonov. He tells Antonov that the Doctor thinks he’ll be able to walk again someday, but he’ll never be fit for combat duty. That’s ok he says, because the Academy needs a good tactics instructor, while the fleet is already full of heroes.
Mark Twain.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 am

Wow, sorry I missed that one.

Return to “Space Fleet Omega”