The official "out of character" thread

A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

The official "out of character" thread

Postby mj12games » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:23 pm

I don't want to squelch the enthusiasm that has recently sprung up for this little project ... but it's drifting in a direction completely different than I intended.

The whole conceit is/was this:

SFO was a REAL SHOW in the '80s that we all knew and loved and got us into sci-fi in the first place. The discussion on the Yahoo! list, then the Omegapedia, was intended to help flesh out our collective memories of this REAL SHOW. (It was fun to see more than a few people get confused -- and complain that they couldn't find any reference to the show elsewhere... :))

No offense to Dugan or others who want to help, but that's the over-arching rule of this particular sandbox -- if we're going to drop that part of the exercise, then this is no different than any other setting development.

So -- I am willing to suspend the suspension of disbelief for THIS THREAD ONLY, so that we can talk about the direction in which we are going to take this project. But I must insist that posts outside of this thread remain "in character"; otherwise, there's no point in it at all, IMHO.

-----

Honestly, I don't know exactly what I want to see happen -- there was a certain "camp" to our original discussions that I'd hate to lose sight of, although I don't want to get too silly.

The end result has never been clear (is this going to be a Starmada setting? A different game altogether? An RPG?). But there are a couple of rules of thumb that I think we should all be able to agree to:

1) Unless completely off-base (and for the time being, I'll have to put myself in the role of arbiter :)) nothing posted here is "wrong". At worst, it was "misremembered".

2) Remember this is supposed to be collaborative. Don't post too much, too quickly... that means (for example) that the episode synopses, as written, are probably a Bad Idea. Considering rule (1), too much detail ties other peoples' hands.

3) Have fun! This is not to be taken too seriously...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm

cricket wrote:I don't want to squelch the enthusiasm that has recently sprung up for this little project ... but it's drifting in a direction completely different than I intended.

The whole conceit is/was this:

SFO was a REAL SHOW in the '80s that we all knew and loved and got us into sci-fi in the first place. The discussion on the Yahoo! list, then the Omegapedia, was intended to help flesh out our collective memories of this REAL SHOW. (It was fun to see more than a few people get confused -- and complain that they couldn't find any reference to the show elsewhere... :))


While it WAS fun to watch the confusion, (even here on the forum at first) I think that confusion and lack of focus was what killed it.

cricket wrote:No offense to Dugan or others who want to help, but that's the over-arching rule of this particular sandbox -- if we're going to drop that part of the exercise, then this is no different than any other setting development.


I can see your point in that regard....


cricket wrote:So -- I am willing to suspend the suspension of disbelief for THIS THREAD ONLY, so that we can talk about the direction in which we are going to take this project. But I must insist that posts outside of this thread remain "in character"; otherwise, there's no point in it at all, IMHO.


Hmmm... I'll try my best to keep OOC stuff here....

This thread could get VERY long...
:)

cricket wrote:Honestly, I don't know exactly what I want to see happen -- there was a certain "camp" to our original discussions that I'd hate to lose sight of, although I don't want to get too silly.


Would the following be too much:

- a monkey that starts to throw poop if you change it's diet or put it in new surroundings.

- a robot that starts to worry about it's 'hair' if it's left on long between reboots.

- a computer that tends to be pesimistic, despite the actual odds

- a computer that suggests we should 'kill them all', and sort them out during reboot.


cricket wrote:The end result has never been clear (is this going to be a Starmada setting? A different game altogether? An RPG?). But there are a couple of rules of thumb that I think we should all be able to agree to:


I'm STILL waiting for that. My view is that it be a Starmada setting with a 'fleet version' - the one you sent out a while back?

cricket wrote:1) Unless completely off-base (and for the time being, I'll have to put myself in the role of arbiter :)) nothing posted here is "wrong". At worst, it was "misremembered".


Sure, I'm perfectly amenable to having myself 'corrected'. I'd HAVE to be, now wouldn't I?
:D

cricket wrote:2) Remember this is supposed to be collaborative. Don't post too much, too quickly... that means (for example) that the episode synopses, as written, are probably a Bad Idea. Considering rule (1), too much detail ties other peoples' hands.


I disagree - and here's why:

They're pretty general, and I did it that way on purpose. They might also be 'how I understood it", or "how I would have done it" or "how I'd do it today if it was a web comic" - which is, incidentally - how I started out.

Anything "broadcast on the network" should be available on Amazon.

Now, apochryphal unbroadcast shows, yeah - those are conjectural, as would be anything shown at a 'con, or on a blooer reel...

cricket wrote:3) Have fun! This is not to be taken too seriously...


Me, serious?
:D
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby jimbeau » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 pm

thedugan wrote:While it WAS fun to watch the confusion, (even here on the forum at first) I think that confusion and lack of focus was what killed it.


spammers killed it. but i agree with the not too much too soon mentality. also have to remember that you are the ONLY one (besides Dan, and he doesn't count) who has anything at all left over from the original posts.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 pm

thedugan wrote:While it WAS fun to watch the confusion, (even here on the forum at first) I think that confusion and lack of focus was what killed it.


jimbeau wrote:spammers killed it. but i agree with the not too much too soon mentality. also have to remember that you are the ONLY one (besides Dan, and he doesn't count) who has anything at all left over from the original posts.


Alright..spammers killed the Wiki, true enough.

I was thinking about the Yahoo thing - there was just not much participation there after the initial rush, same thing with the Wiki. There was a period of several months there (when I could still get to the Wiki from work, and it was still there), where there just wasn't anyone except me and the Cialis guy posting anything.

I don't think the Cialis guy was doing too much that was useful.

I'm wondering just how much guidance (or whatever) it takes to get creative contributors to contribute. Not that we aren't getting it in some places, but as a general concept. I say this as someone who initially didn't warm to the SFO concept, but now see it as at least a good story generator. I'd be lying if I said I had a firm grasp of where this is going...
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 pm

jimbeau wrote:spammers killed it. but i agree with the not too much too soon mentality. also have to remember that you are the ONLY one (besides Dan, and he doesn't count) who has anything at all left over from the original posts.


Dan doesn't count? :)

To address the concept of "too much, too soon".....

Do I stop now, slow down? Do I edit my recent posts to be more "in character"?

I'd love for there to be more input from others, but I haven't seen that happen yet, and I want to see how the story ends.
;)
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Someone recently made a post about an actual (I think) actor, a real person.

Wouldn't that be sort of ...eh... problematic?
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby jimbeau » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 am

only if they remembered incorrectly, where was it, maybe I can shed some light

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 814
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 am
Location: People's Republic of MA

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby Blacklancer99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 am

jimbeau wrote:only if they remembered incorrectly, where was it, maybe I can shed some light


It was me, I was trying to run with the Gil Girard/Buck Rogers reference in-character on the Omegapedia thread. Sorry, I got caught up in the momment :oops: I will put a phoney baloney fix in that thread, and will never use a real actor's name again.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby thedugan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:
jimbeau wrote:only if they remembered incorrectly, where was it, maybe I can shed some light


It was me, I was trying to run with the Gil Girard/Buck Rogers reference in-character on the Omegapedia thread. Sorry, I got caught up in the momment :oops: I will put a phoney baloney fix in that thread, and will never use a real actor's name again.
Cheers,
Erik


FLAWLESS RECOVERY.....

Yep, that's the spirit that I think that Dan is going for.

So, this occured to me - SFO is effectively open-ended? It doesn't really end?
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: The official "out of character" thread

Postby mj12games » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 pm

thedugan wrote:So, this occured to me - SFO is effectively open-ended? It doesn't really end?


As conceived, there were three versions:

1) An anime/manga from the mid-70s.

2) A live-action American TV show, based on the anime/manga, in 1983-84.

3) A mini-series revival, that was supposed to lead to a second TV series, sometime after that.

There have been others (comics, fan faction) but that's it for "official" SFO. There have been rumours of a "reimagined" movie, but no confirmation yet.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com


Return to “Space Fleet Omega”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest