Episode Synopsis

A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Episode Synopsis

Postby thedugan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Instead of burying this in the 'lost fragments' thread, I figured I'd post this here. I wrote up some overviews of the 'series' to kick start things (since SFO refuses to die).

Comment as you like..........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleet of the Farthest Star: [This is the title of my as-yet-unwritten webcomic, this was part of it]

(SPACEFLEET: OMEGA episode synopsis)

PILOT: "SPACEFLEET: OMEGA"

- Starts with a party aboard the Admiral's flagship.

- We then shift to the passenger cabin of a large shuttle, where we meet the Captain discussing his ship's maintenance and construction needs with his XO and engineer. We follow them from the shuttle, as it passes among the ships of the small fleet (some in spacedock, some simply in orbit) through the docking with the flagship, and then to the party.

- During the party, some (or many) members of the series are introduced.

- The Admiral makes an announcement, that he's recieved word that the Kalmarans have accepted the latest peace delegation without incident, and a "basic goals agreement" was signed.

- The party breaks up, and the Endeavour party (now aboard their ship, and taking care of minor problems) recieves a request to take 2 destroyers (Harpy and Pariah) out into the Oort cloud for anti-pirate operations. The request was from a gas mining station, who has been getting periodic sensor pings from odd locations.

- The episode ends as the the captain announces the arrival to the crew, and a brief discussion with the station manager.

"This is why we're here sir. If you've got trouble coming, they have to get through us."

Roll credits as we peel away from Endeavour, with Harpy and Pariah vectoring off in "standard patrol pattern".
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Episode Synopsis

Postby thedugan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm

EPISODE ONE:

"SPACEFLEET: OMEGA PT II"

- We open as we hear reports coming in from the Destroyers Harpy and Pariah about possible sensor contacts at extreme range.

- The contacts cease, and the Captain requests updates if they should return. The station manager gets informed that the pirates seem to have run off.

- Endeavour recieves word that Destroyers Minotaur and Banshee are on the way to assist.

- The ships all recieve a distress call from an inbound merchant ship, Harpy, Pariah, and Minotaur move to intecept. Endavour and Banshee stay in close to the station in case the attack is a ruse.

- The Destroyers report that the pirates have jumped out via a previously-undetected jump gate.

- Moments later, a pirate mothership jumps in, and launches a wave of fighters at the Destroyers.

- The Destroyers start to win, destroying half the fighters, when the Pirate's other ships return.

- Minotaur is close to the gate, and launches a missile slavo at it. It explodes with more force than is expected, and Minotaur takes enough damage that the captain has life pods launched.

- The Mothership starts to withdraw, as Harpy and Pariah launch waves after wave of missiles. The mothership dissappears in a fireball. The pirate ships pour on the acceleration and leave the area far faster then the Destroyers can follow, and eventually drop off of sensors.

- The remaining Destroyers Harpy and Pariah report in as they start to pick up survivors from Minotaur. Minotaur's captain sets the self destruct and leaves in his gig.

- The Destroyers retrun to base, and there is a discussion on the bridge of Harpy that this was more like a hit-and-run military style raid than the usual pirate raid for booty.

"This wasn't a pirate raid, I'm not sure what it was, but this was not pirates"

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:53 pm

EPISODE TWO:

"A MINOR PROBLEM"

- The destroyers close on the station, but are told to follow Endeavour and Banshee back to the base, there was a request for military assistance over the FTL comm, and then silence. The base cannot be raised. The station they were protecting has had some re-supply from Endeavour and is able to fend well enough for itself in the short term.

- The Flotilla assembles and disperses the crew of the Minotaur among the crews of the other ships, as the trained crewmen had been in short supply.

- the Flotilla approaches at maximum speed, and cannot raise anything on any communication channel.

"Sir, there appears to be a very large amount of activity around the base"

- As they approach the base, some local comm is picked up, sounding like slavage operations.

- Three large Ore Barges are headed towards the Flotilla, and have all indications of being heavily armed.

"Inbound Vessels, reverse engines and prepare to be boarded"

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 pm

EPISODE THREE:

"Flagship Endeavour"

- The flotilla ceases forward thrust, and slows as the Barges come up on visual.

- "Looks like they filled the cargo bays with something besides rock!"

- The Ore barges slides to a stop relative to the flotilla, and the comm system comes up.

- After a brief exchange, the flotilla and the barges head back to the base.

- The sensors indicate fighter and other debris. Most of the Orbital Factories are damaged, with a great deal of debris slowly drifting around them.

- As it will be several hours before they can pick their way through the debris, the Endeavour group is sent a radio report of the encounter. Ships similiar to the "pirates", along with some Heavies of unknown design attacked shortly after Minotaur and Banshee were an hour out of easy contact range.

- Endeavour and company take up station within easy shuttle distance of the base, while the Ore Barges break off and continue their patrol.

- The Captain, his Exec, and the Engineer all take a shuttle to the base, and head towards the Admiral's office, before they get to the office, are intercepted by the station exec and told the Admiral is in sick bay.

- When the officers reach sickbay, they are directed to the Admiral, who is bandaged and has a cast on his leg. The Admiral informs them that Gate-Comm is down, but that the short traffic burst they recieved beforehand indicated similiar attacks were occuring in other systems.

"Endeavour is the flagship for Space Fleet Omega until I get Vesuvius back into shape. I'll be transferring my staff aboard in a few hours, and there will be a staff meeting after I get out of this Damned hospital bed."

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:42 pm

EPISODE FOUR:

"Situation: In Flux"

- The admiral wheels into his office using an old manual chair, and can't seem to keep it going in a straight line. Apparently, the powered ones were in short supply and the Admiral didn't want to wait or use an Orderly. Sick Bay is over-flowing, and there are also too few Orderlies.

- The first goal of the attackers was obviously going to be the Orbital Factories. The burst of messages via Gate-Comm gave Omega advance warning, not too much, but enough to pull in most of the ships to protect the factories.

- The Ore Barges were out doing their job, and told not to come in unless given the okay - they were in fact to maintain as low a profile as they could. After the attackers were beaten off or destroyed, the Barges headed in and were armed with as many missiles as could be fitted to them, as well as point defense and anything else they could get to work. Out of 14 barges, only one - that was in the middle of the attack vector - was damaged, and that one only immobilised, It's on it's way in, being salvaged by tugs.

- Those that could be rescued, were.

- Vesuvius was hit hard, being the most powerful opponent, and not real manueverable. She will recieve the highest repair priority, but repairs are still estimated to take 2 months.

- Endeavour was out-system, and practically undamaged - the attack apparently depended on surprise and having Gate-Comm down. The intent was to split Omega's forces - that part worked. Having one or two fewer ships might have meant defeat, and the subsequent loss of Endeavoour when she returned to base.

- Minotaur was lost, the gate was obviously rigged with demo charges.

- Destroyers Harpy, Pariah, and Banshee have minimal damage. Cockatrice, Basilisk, and Tempest are heavily damaged, but still combat capable, estimates range from 1-3 weeks for them.

- Supply ship Fortunato was not so fortunate - being in the exit vector of the beaten ships, Agamemmnon and Richilieu are undamaged, and stocks of several critical items are low.

- None of the Science ships (Ghost, Spectre, Westwind, and Catspaw) were damaged.

- Defense Monitor Argonaut was gutted - her remains litter the space around the station. Ajax and Hercules will take 2 and 6 weeks respectively to repair, assuming enough spares are available. Jason, Donner, and Blitzen are combat ready. The Monitors likely made up the difference in firepower - without them, the battle may have been lost even with fore-warning. Argonaut and Jason were not expected at all, and Hercules came with them - ahead of schedule.

- Medical Frigates Pasteur, Lister, and Fleming got through unscathed.

- It's estimated that 14 Pirate Raiders were destroyed, along with 3 Motherships.

- Most of the Officers leaves after this, to attend to burial rites for those whose bodies were recovered.

The admiral stepped to the porthole.

"I'm too old for this. I should have retired four years ago. I let them talk me into accepting this position, and my pride wouldn't let me admit that some younger man might do a better job."

"Sir, there's not a man here that wouldn't fight with you, no matter what our situation. You must know that some consider you a living legend, all the battles you've won - some against worse odds than this."

The Admral looks at his bandaged arm.

"Legends shouldn't bleed. If I'm a legend..." The Admiral looks up at the assembled officers, "then why am I bleeding?" The Admiral smiles a wistful smile, "you're dismssed Gentlemen"

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 pm

EPISODE FIVE:

"The Best Defense"

- Omega Fleet Intelligence is assembling all the sensor readings accumulated during the battle.

- The Admiral is commandeering all system resources to rally against a possible second attack. The local factory reps are NOT happy, and demand proof that the attacks were simultaneous against several systems and that a second attack is likely. The Admiral invokes his emergency powers in order to force them to agree.

- Sensor platforms are the first repair priority, ships and defense installations second.

- Factory Factories priority is repair components, sensor-sats, and missiles.

- Various attempts are made aboard the Gate to re-initialize Gate Communications, short range FTL Comm has been unable to get more than some distant freighters, but nothing like the distance needed to reach Fleet Psi or it's base-system. The Epsilon-class Mind aboard the Gate is currently pinging through several levels of subspace, looking for Human activity.

- Fleet intelligence makes a finding - the drives aboard the attacking ships were very likely Kalmaran, the power-source signtures were modified, but the not-so-obviously-fake harmonic overlays were filtered out, and it's all but certain.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Dugan, did you (or anyone) keep the list of episode titles I did way back? I've managed to get access to the stuff from the Omegapedia, but it would seem I never transferred them over...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm

cricket wrote:Dugan, did you (or anyone) keep the list of episode titles I did way back? I've managed to get access to the stuff from the Omegapedia, but it would seem I never transferred them over...

Nope, I never thought to do that.

If you've got episode Titles, we can sure use those...

Return to “Space Fleet Omega”