Bio-nanites?

A discussion site for everyone's favorite '80s sci-fi show
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Bio-nanites?

Postby mj12games » Tue May 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Watching TV this evening, I was struck by a possibility:

Microscopic sentients...

They could be a "race" unto themselves, or an ally of the humans that helps explain their rapid rise to preeminence. They may or may not be known about by other races.

These entities are able to enter into and manipulate technology -- giving the humans potentially an air of "magic" among those not "in the know".

I think I'm just keen on the idea of an RPG that allows you to play a microscopic PC. :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby thedugan » Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm

cricket wrote:Watching TV this evening, I was struck by a possibility:

Microscopic sentients...

They could be a "race" unto themselves, or an ally of the humans that helps explain their rapid rise to preeminence. They may or may not be known about by other races.

These entities are able to enter into and manipulate technology -- giving the humans potentially an air of "magic" among those not "in the know".

I think I'm just keen on the idea of an RPG that allows you to play a microscopic PC. :)


WE ARE NOT AMUSED, UGLY BAGS OF WATER.
:wink:
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby mj12games » Wed May 04, 2005 2:58 pm

thedugan wrote:WE ARE NOT AMUSED, UGLY BAGS OF WATER.


Okay... that sounds familiar.

Did I rip the idea off from somewhere obvious?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby thedugan » Wed May 04, 2005 3:05 pm

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:WE ARE NOT AMUSED, UGLY BAGS OF WATER.


Okay... that sounds familiar.

Did I rip the idea off from somewhere obvious?


Star Trek: the Next Generation...

Silicate Race on a rock close to the star, water a few meters beneath the surface was syphoned off by a 'survey team' - this dramatically effected the viability of the race's enviroment, which had tried to communicate by making patterns in the sand. The Silicates then started to sabotage the computer controlled Federation Uber-Widgets, killing some people. Data saves the day (sigh - again) by communicating with them and establishing a truce.

A real groaner for the 'tired of the ecology lessons' conservative like me.
:-/
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby mj12games » Wed May 04, 2005 3:12 pm

thedugan wrote:Silicate Race on a rock close to the star, water a few meters beneath the surface was syphoned off by a 'survey team' - this dramatically effected the viability of the race's enviroment, which had tried to communicate by making patterns in the sand. The Silicates then started to sabotage the computer controlled Federation Uber-Widgets, killing some people. Data saves the day (sigh - again) by communicating with them and establishing a truce.


Huh. Well, as they say, there's no such thing as a "new" idea.

I was actually just reminiscing back to Greg Bear's "Blood Music"...

But I think the idea has potential, and I think we could do it with an original slant.

Dan
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby thedugan » Wed May 04, 2005 3:19 pm

cricket wrote:Huh. Well, as they say, there's no such thing as a "new" idea.

I was actually just reminiscing back to Greg Bear's "Blood Music"...

But I think the idea has potential, and I think we could do it with an original slant.


True, and yes - it can be done. I wouldn't suggest them as a 'player' race, but a useful 'NPC' race. Interesting as a way to get to nanotech...and could explain it's 'on again, off again' nature.

I've never read 'Blood Music' - I'm assuming it's a novel.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Bio-nanites?

Postby mj12games » Wed May 04, 2005 3:27 pm

thedugan wrote:True, and yes - it can be done. I wouldn't suggest them as a 'player' race, but a useful 'NPC' race. Interesting as a way to get to nanotech...and could explain it's 'on again, off again' nature.

I've never read 'Blood Music' - I'm assuming it's a novel.


Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 743444965/
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Postby mj12games » Thu May 05, 2005 1:36 am

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sfomega@yahoogroups.com

> Dan said...
> > Yes.
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 743444965/
>
> Hmm.. most of the 'reviewers' panned it.

Yeah, well... I didn't say it was a -good- novel. :)

Dan
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 am
Location: DFW area - Texas!
Contact:

Postby thedugan » Thu May 05, 2005 3:01 am

cricket wrote:> -----Original Message-----
> From: sfomega@yahoogroups.com

> Dan said...
> > Yes.
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 743444965/
>
> Hmm.. most of the 'reviewers' panned it.

Yeah, well... I didn't say it was a -good- novel. :)

Dan


If you're going to borrow an idea, borrow GOOD ones.....
:D
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3648
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Postby mj12games » Thu May 05, 2005 2:31 pm

thedugan wrote:If you're going to borrow an idea, borrow GOOD ones.....
:D


It's a good idea... just a rather boring book, IIRC.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com


Return to “Space Fleet Omega”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest