On Demand 3D Printing for Starmada and Iron Stars

Gettin' the lead and makin' it pretty
jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: On Demand 3D Printing for Starmada and Iron Stars

Postby jimbeau » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 pm

afrodri wrote:Could someone point me to a link to the original renders?

Weren't they hand-made?

afrodri

Postby afrodri » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:44 pm

jimbeau wrote:
afrodri wrote:Could someone point me to a link to the original renders?

Weren't they hand-made?

Sorry... I found them in the rule book. Impressive work. It would depend on how the model was done, but first impressions are that they would be amenable to 3D printing. The shapes, size, and levels of detail seem doable, especially some of the sails.

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:38 am

The current IS miniatures on the market by Brigade Models are indeed hand made.
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

afrodri

Postby afrodri » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 am

go0gleplex wrote:The current IS miniatures on the market by Brigade Models are indeed hand made.

Sorry, I was unclear. I was interested in the looking at the 3D rendered images Admiral Pertwee referred to in his original post. Since there are existing 3D models, it should be much easier to port them to the Shapeways 3D printing process, if Brigade wanted to do so.

starbreaker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby starbreaker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 am

Hadn't thought about hollowing the hulls. Might make a pure Shapeways model viable for the smaller ships at least - but that doesn't help out Brigade much, does it?

While we're talking about old 3D render projects, has it occurred to anyone else that Shapeways could make ships for the finest scifi television program (n)ever produced? I'm talking, of course, about Space Fleet Omega. ;)

zircher

Postby zircher » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 am

afrodri wrote:It is generally not too bad to convert for shapeways. The main restrictions (for the WSF) material is that it needs to be at least 0.7mm thick to be strong and that the minimum detail that will show up is 0.1-0.2mm. There is also a nice community on shapeways to help "debug" your file if you run into problems.

Interesting, I read somewhere that it was 2-3mm thick. I can hopefully save some more cost with hollow minis. I uploaded various Shiva BBs to Shapeways, but the costs are brutal. Kind of like Space Fleet Omega, FASA never created a line of capital ship minis for the Renegade Legion universe.
--
TAZ

afrodri

Postby afrodri » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 am

zircher wrote:Interesting, I read somewhere that it was 2-3mm thick. I can hopefully save some more cost with hollow minis. I uploaded various Shiva BBs to Shapeways, but the costs are brutal. Kind of like Space Fleet Omega, FASA never created a line of capital ship minis for the Renegade Legion universe.
--
TAZ

It depends on your material. The default WSF (white strong flexible) material has a minimum wallthickness of 1mm (actually, 0.7mm, but they recommend at least 1.0). I think it is 2-3 for some of the other materials (Steel, for instance is 3mm).

Hollowing out is the only way (that I've found) to make a decent cost model. Ideally, if you keep things hollow your costs scale with the 1.5 power instead of with the cube.

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:31 am

Hello Taz, nice to see you over on our turf....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

starbreaker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby starbreaker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 am

zircher wrote:Interesting, I read somewhere that it was 2-3mm thick. I can hopefully save some more cost with hollow minis. I uploaded various Shiva BBs to Shapeways, but the costs are brutal. Kind of like Space Fleet Omega, FASA never created a line of capital ship minis for the Renegade Legion universe.
--
TAZ

Oh, are those yours? Nice work - and the prices don't look that bad to me until you hit the 5" version. Actual boardgamer Leviathan types would want the 2" version anyway, and that's a bargain at four bucks. Even the 4" model is only steep by minis standards, not utterly outrageous.

So, when are you making the rest of the ships from the game so we can build fleets? There were only what, about 80 official designs all told? No trouble at all, right?

deveshelles

Postby deveshelles » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm

The existing models would certainly need some modifications before it can be used including thickening or replacement details hollowing out and breaking into pieces. Scaling different vessels against each other could be also complicated.

Return to “Miniatures”