Discuss The Drydock!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Is the Drydock up to date?

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Hmm, that might explain it. Just need a calculator that allows you to do that sort of calculation. My 'new' calculator is still around 10 years old, and my standard one even older, so it might not be too surprising...
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Nomad wrote:I agree that something is broken in defenses, but in a different way.... Given a hull 12 with 12 points of armor (armor score 2, which it generates correctly), it generates a DRAT of 40.08.

Not broken -- another piece of errata.

I added a factor of x1.67 to the DRAT to make the final combat rating results comparable to those in SAE, but failed to add it in the rulebook... :oops:
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:07 pm

I just found the drydock. Its a great idea and helps to create ships very fast. Allow me to suggest some additional features it could have:

-Firing Arcs - why not having the option to just click at a firing arc diagram to select the arcs of a weapon? So I dont have to memorize the 20 arc shortcuts during ship design.

-Weapon-Traits and Special Equipment - why not just have a "check-box" with the traits + little mouse hovering description what game effect it has - and the possibility to select the trait by just clicking inside the checkbox? So I dont have to open the rulebook every time to find the shortcuts for the traits and special equipment.

-saving to desktop - why is it not possible to save the ship card directly to my desktop? (eg as a jpeg or bmp?)

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm

While I agree that it would be handy to have some reference for the arcs and traits, I for one really hate it when people show up with ships that they have designed but they don't know what they do! At least if you have to open the rulebook to figure out the arcs and traits you want you'll have read about them.

-Tim

BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm

I designed t he "Large Dreadnought" USS ARIZONA today using the link in this thread. I look forward to this game coming online soon. I was unsure hot to add any Special Equipment such as Fire Control, or other extra stuff. Also unsure how to add weapon traits such as Piercing, ect.
I definitely look forward to the Nova Edition and find this Dry Dock to be fun to fiddle with. Keep up the Good Work! 8-)
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

Ozymandias
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I look forward to this game coming online soon

It is online. You can go buy it right now. :P

I was unsure hot to add any Special Equipment such as Fire Control

Type "Fire Control" in the box. Each piece of equipment should go on a new line (spaces might work too, but I did new line).

The weapon traits are the abbreviations comma separated. They're in the rulebook.

Ozymandias
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:15 am

Is there some easy way I'm not thinking of to reverse-engineer designs in the rulebook?

I'm not sure how to convert

FF6,FP4,FS4,AP6,AS6 into the values I need to enter into drydock.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:52 pm

It's not exact, but you can assume the largest modifier represents 1 weapon, and extrapolate from there, since every +2 doubles the number of weapons. (A +1 modifier is roughly x1.4)

For example, with banks of [FF5][FP4][FS4][AP5][AP5][AA7], the "AA7" can be assumed to represent a single weapon. The "5" arcs would thus be 2 weapons each, while the "4" arcs would be 3 weapons each. This gives a total of 13 weapons.

Then, take the first number of attack dice, divide by the number of weapons, and use the result as the BAS. Thus, if the above battery starts with 10 attack dice, the BAS would be 0.77 (10 / 13).
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Ozymandias
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Cool. I managed to create it successfully.

I don't know if you wrote the drydock or if you have someone else doing it, but I have a request.

Would it be possible to add the data on the main drydock page like ORAT for the individual weapons, total ORAT, DRAT, etc onto the print page as global javascript variables? I'm writing a userscript to do some customized SSDs on the print page, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to recalculate that stuff from the information on display.

I need to determine if a weapon bank is "small" "medium" or "large", and was going to use the ORAT of the weapons to sort them into the arbitrary groups.

Here's what I have so far:

Ozymandias
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Discuss The Drydock!

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:32 am

I've noticed the carriers don't seem to work right on the drydock. Adding carrier space has some weird randomy costing. You also can't seem to specify traits for a certain number of fighters, so you can't design carrier that holds intercepters and bombers (for example).

Return to “Starmada”