New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby madpax » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I come back after having thought about armor. I thought it was a mean of protection that could be decided as you want, and not simply a translation of SAE armor plating, which will always lend to a fixed number of armor boxes, depending of the hull size. Too bad, I was envisionning some use of variable armor in order to translate starfire designs... :)

Marc

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:52 pm

madpax wrote:I come back after having thought about armor. I thought it was a mean of protection that could be decided as you want, and not simply a translation of SAE armor plating, which will always lend to a fixed number of armor boxes, depending of the hull size. Too bad, I was envisionning some use of variable armor in order to translate starfire designs... :)

A ship can have anywhere from 1 to 100 boxes of armor, so long as it has enough space units.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

madpax wrote:I come back after having thought about armor. I thought it was a mean of protection that could be decided as you want, and not simply a translation of SAE armor plating, which will always lend to a fixed number of armor boxes, depending of the hull size. Too bad, I was envisionning some use of variable armor in order to translate starfire designs... :)

Marc

Don't confused the "AE conversion rules" with what you can do from scratch in Nova.

-Tim

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm

So there is a release plan? Great. When will the pdf-only version of Starmada Nova be available?

JohnRobert
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnRobert » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm

While it is somewhat late to do so, I would like to give my view on Pivots and OverThrusters. A ship can face any way that you like if it is not in motion. While the rules do not have to comply with the laws of physics; if they did so, then a ship in motion at a constant speed, applying no thrust, should also be able to face any way that they like. As to whether a ship that is applying Thrust to change its' motion should be able to Pivot, I do not much care. It probabably should not, at least in the interest of keeping the rules simple.
None of this helps players using ships from the Armada books. While it is not cited in any of the Armada books, the original source material does contain the rule that a ship must face its' direction of motion. It is true that players may agree to any House Rules that they wish, but if they are choosing to play in a specific Science Fiction background, they might as well comply with its' rules.
Last edited by JohnRobert on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

diddimus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby diddimus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:59 am

So am I the only one to notice this a week late?

http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3630

Doesn't that mean it should be here now? ;)

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Its out now for download, go get it!

Lots of awesome stuff in there Dan - need some time to digest it all. I noticed you've added quite a few things that will make the Star Fleet adaptation more streamlined - which is a very good thing.

-Tim

jwpacker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby jwpacker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 am

I'll admit, I approached the game with a little trepidation - I'd noticed a number of issues with SAE that kept me from just adopting it as my go-to system for all occasions. Many of those issues have been addressed in this edition.

It took me a couple read-throughs to get my head wrapped around how things were going to work. And good lord, it's even mathier than before - Log to the base root one-half? - but with a nice table to keep you from needing your RPN calculator at your side while building ships.

And the drydock is nice, for trying out ideas. Being web-based, it's a little less interactive than I want it to be, but then I'm spoiled by the great spreadsheets we had for SAE in that regard.

Return to “Starmada”