New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Nomad
Commander
Commander

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby Nomad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Marauder wrote:I have to say Nova Edition is turning into a dream for Eldar players - ECM as a main defense - stealth with a rating - solar movement! All you need to do now is to come up with a negative ship trait where they have a penalty to the damage threshold rolls (i.e. to simulate how they were critically hit more easily in gothic).

Nomad - I think you'd have to be careful as to what movement modes you allowed - I don't think any two just work together - but solar seems to be fairly balanced with the basic movement.

I've seen some other systems that allow you to purchase different drive types that simulate different physics models. In those systems the ones that are clearly superior cost more/take more space or whatever.

Etheric seems a bit balanced, because while it doesn't allow you to reach the same breakneck speeds of the basic movement - it gives you some free breaking so keep things under control a bit better.

-Tim

I agree with everything said here. Using small hulls might be enough, just via increased frequency of crit checks, but then again maybe not. Still, looking much better than AE for Eldar. I'll probably still keep cloaking on mine, though... it's just too much fun. Guess I'll call 'em Dark Eldar.

I was just contesting Cricket's statement on the previous page of posts that using different movements shouldn't unbalance things with a counterexample; not saying that any particular combinations of the new movement rules appears immediately unbalanced. If I had seen that, I'd've said so instead :P.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Marauder wrote:All you need to do now is to come up with a negative ship trait where they have a penalty to the damage threshold rolls

Did I forget to mention the "fragile systems" ship trait? My bad... :)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

cricket wrote:
Marauder wrote:All you need to do now is to come up with a negative ship trait where they have a penalty to the damage threshold rolls

Did I forget to mention the "fragile systems" ship trait? My bad... :)

Hooray! It's almost like Dan knew people wanted to play Eldar, or somebody ran them during the internal playtesting... hmmm...

Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trent » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 am

cricket wrote:Did I forget to mention the "fragile systems" ship trait? My bad... :)

Damn swanky!

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Now, Eldar also have superior fighters and bombers (and torps). Got those too? :D

Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trent » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 am

Marauder wrote:Now, Eldar also have superior fighters and bombers (and torps). Got those too? :D

I'm sure there's plenty of ways to build those the old-fashioned way. 8-)

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

madpax wrote:It seems that overthrusters have disapeared. Had they been replaced by something else?
Btw, about pivot, which are related to OVT, i've read that they simulated the ability to move in a direction different to the ship's front. So, why should it have to pay for pivot each turn?
it should pay once and keep the pivot freely as long as it doesn't pay to modify it. Either one direction or the other.

Marc

Err, my post was lost in the solar wind...

Marc

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 pm

madpax wrote:It seems that overthrusters have disapeared. Had they been replaced by something else?

They have been removed -- at least from the core rules. See below.

Btw, about pivot, which are related to OVT, i've read that they simulated the ability to move in a direction different to the ship's front. So, why should it have to pay for pivot each turn?
it should pay once and keep the pivot freely as long as it doesn't pay to modify it. Either one direction or the other.

This is true, so long as the ship doesn't change its velocity or direction of travel, which would require it to pivot accordingly, and then "re"-pivot back to the desired facing.

I have removed the "pivot" option for now, because I thought it was inelegant. I am open to suggestions.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't have a suggestion except to keep it modified as above. With a bit of explanation (I didn't understand its purpose at first).
So it would be:
A Ship may 'expend' a 60° turn ability to make a pivot. For this prupose, do not turn the ship during its move (aside making real turns), but, at the end of its move, pivot it 60°. Then, at the end of the turn, pivot it the opposite (to cancel the pivot).
This pivot is active each turn, without having to expend turn, unless modified. Thus, it could be increased, up to 3 60° turns, or cancelled.

Marc

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm

I would not miss pivots at all.

Regarding optional rules. What I like about Starmada is that there are only a few core rules and lots of optional rules. Usually I take a fat yellow marker and do mark the optional rules I want to use ingame, after printing out the whole pdf. I would prefer only to print out the rules I marked, but this is not possible because often there are rules I like and dislike on the same pdf page.

So my question to Dan: Is it possible to release a special pdf where each single optional rule chapter is layouted on a seperate page? So one can buy the "classic-one-sausage" version and/or such a segmented special version? Or has someone an idea for another solution for this (admittedly rather small) problem?

Return to “Starmada”