New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
diddimus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby diddimus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:59 pm

I would not miss pivots at all.

I would!

I'm concerned about a few things that seem to be missing from Nova that made ships more special. I hope Nova isn't too bland and "hard scifi" only.

Pivots and armour plating have gone it seems. I struggled with the last version a little to represent special ships in B5 such as the White star and Vree ships but I got there in the end. Now it seems ships all just have variations on the same few options.

I hope I'm mistaken because I've been sooo looking forward to this new version.

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 pm

diddimus wrote:
I would not miss pivots at all.

I would!

I'm concerned about a few things that seem to be missing from Nova that made ships more special. I hope Nova isn't too bland and "hard scifi" only.

Pivots and armour plating have gone it seems. I struggled with the last version a little to represent special ships in B5 such as the White star and Vree ships but I got there in the end. Now it seems ships all just have variations on the same few options.

I hope I'm mistaken because I've been sooo looking forward to this new version.

Instead of "armour plating" there is "armour" as a major ship defense. This was a necessary change because of the way damage is now being allocated (i.e. there are only damage rolls after certain thresholds not for each point inflicted). But definitely armour is still there and IMHO better than before (mostly because you now can have a little armour or a lot of armour).

Our group never used pivots - probably because we were a bit intimidated by the calculations and order writing required to use the vectored movement system in AE. Now that vectored movement is easier to execute, I could see some of us dabbling with pivots - but it wouldn't be a disappointment for us if it wasn't included.

-Tim

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Enpeze wrote:I would not miss pivots at all.

I would miss pivots, but not their complicated method of computation. I would miss overthrusters, or any other mean to represent agile ships, which exists in SFO.

What I didn't like about armor plating is that it applied only vs engine. Although I understand why it didn't apply to shield and weapons (although for the latter, I can envision armored cupolas...).

On the other hand, aside the method of conversion, I fail to see a difference between the three types of shield.

Marc

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 pm

madpax wrote:
On the other hand, aside the method of conversion, I fail to see a difference between the three types of shield.

Marc

I suspect the difference will be in what weapon traits there are that counter the defenses.

Its by design that their effectivnesses are equivalent though - much easier to assign a point value to them. Overall your choice of defense(s) should be based on what the background for the race/faction you are designing or emulating is - or perhaps you just like a particular game mechanic - but I think its correct to essentially have all the defenses be on equal footing.

-Tim

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm

madpax wrote:I would miss pivots, but not their complicated method of computation. I would miss overthrusters, or any other mean to represent agile ships, which exists in SFO.

One of the biggest struggles I have is how to define "agile" in terms of spaceships. What does it mean to be "more agile"?

I would argue that, when using an inertial/vector-based movement system, there is no such thing. Your ability to accelerate/decelerate is inherently tied to your ability to change course (since changing course simply means accelerating in a different direction).

The "problem" I had found with overthrusters is they only applied if you were using a specific optional rule (pivots) and NOT another (non-inertial movement).

If people have suggestions for how to simulate "agility", I'm listening...

Not sure I understand... ?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Enpeze wrote:So my question to Dan: Is it possible to release a special pdf where each single optional rule chapter is layouted on a seperate page? So one can buy the "classic-one-sausage" version and/or such a segmented special version? Or has someone an idea for another solution for this (admittedly rather small) problem?

Possible?

Yes.

I suppose if there were enough call for such a thing, I could include a version of the book formatted this way...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm

cricket wrote:I would argue that, when using an inertial/vector-based movement system, there is no such thing. Your ability to accelerate/decelerate is inherently tied to your ability to change course (since changing course simply means accelerating in a different direction).

Now I understand your problem.

Not sure I understand... ?

Aside the SAE value which change to obtain the same SNE shield value (screens are better than facet, for example), will there be a difference between them (SAE shield, screen and facet) or will they be treated exactly the same?

Marc

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm

madpax wrote:Aside the SAE value which change to obtain the same SNE shield value (screens are better than facet, for example), will there be a difference between them (SAE shield, screen and facet) or will they be treated exactly the same?

Ah, I get it.

Faceted shields are being replaced by a new trait called "directional defenses".

Screens are not currently supported in the new rules, but could be.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:18 am

Here's my "agile" pitch:

Agile is a ship trait that is used only when executing a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" maneuver.
Agile has a rating (1, 2, 3, etc).
Each point of agile adds to your thrust rating both for determining if you are eligible to make a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" manuever (based on last turns speed) and the maximum speed you can be at when exectuing those two manuevers.

So essentially its like "thrust lite". It doesn't help you on the accelerate or decelerate if you are just going straight, but when you are turning.

-Tim

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 am

Marauder wrote:Here's my "agile" pitch:

Agile is a ship trait that is used only when executing a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" maneuver.
Agile has a rating (1, 2, 3, etc).
Each point of agile adds to your thrust rating both for determining if you are eligible to make a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" manuever (based on last turns speed) and the maximum speed you can be at when exectuing those two manuevers.

So essentially its like "thrust lite". It doesn't help you on the accelerate or decelerate if you are just going straight, but when you are turning.

-Tim

I like this very much. Any thoughts on how it might work in non-newtonian / basic-style movement, though? Just free turns up to the Agile score?

Return to “Starmada”