New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby Trent » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Marauder wrote:With solar wind shouldn't you move fastest when you are traveling perpendicular to the direction of the wind?

Seconded. I also play Eldar, so I was excited to see this. I also play Age of Sail games AND I grew up sailing. :lol:

I think this could be implemented in a way that is both more "realistic" (whatever that's worth in a space-faring game) and presents more tactical challenges. Marauder's suggestion is good. Sails are at their most efficient when reaching. That can't be accurately modeled without resorting to a 12 point facing system. But Wooden Ships and Iron Men did a decent job, using a four point system. I suggest the same:

So the broad reach is the fastest. The close reach and running are slower. And the no-go zone is slowest.

That said, even if you just went with the two point system, I think the bonus should be in effect on the broad reach, not while running.
Last edited by Trent on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trent » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Ok, well I posted well after everyone else had. That's what I get for trying to make a fancy pic. Thanks Dan for the correction!

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Okay, sounds great guys!

@Oldngray - I don't disagree with you on the principal of solar wind - however if this is to be used in an "Age of sail" adaptation, may as well go that way to start - plus the only popular space faring race that uses solar wind that I know of are the eldar - and in gothic they did get the treatment like this.

Dan - excited to hear about the different movement modes being "conceptually equal". We're keen on using Starmada NE for our next campaign - and anything we can do to make ships a bit different is great. I know Trent will be all over the Solar movement - and everyone else will probably choose between the regular and the etheric.

-Tim

netWilk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby netWilk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:20 am

Marauder wrote:Okay, sounds great guys!

@Oldngray - I don't disagree with you on the principal of solar wind - however if this is to be used in an "Age of sail" adaptation, may as well go that way to start - plus the only popular space faring race that uses solar wind that I know of are the eldar - and in gothic they did get the treatment like this.

-Tim

I think the problem is that realistic solar sailing is very boring because you can only accelerate directly away from the sun. Since there is no ether to push against, reaching is not possible. While this is a very fuel efficient way to change your orbit, in tactical situations it is not very useful.

Perhaps make solar wind sailing require etheric movement?

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 am

Maybe the Eldar actually use Solar Panels which use the sun light to generate energy for propulsion and they got changed in the translation. :)

As a side note, there was an enjoyable, very simple set of rules for Napoleonic sea battles with large numbers of ships.
Flagship by Nigal J Hodge (Hodgegames 1993)

Paul

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 pm

cricket wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:Cool, solar wind movement. Did I perchance give you the inspiration for that Dan?

Actually, it was the Eldar minis that did it... ;)

Damn, was hoping I influenced the rules in some way...:(
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 pm

so if we now can emulate the Eldar solar sails, maybe there will be rules for Eldar holoshields too? (just joking :))

Nomad
Commander
Commander

Postby Nomad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Enpeze wrote:so if we now can emulate the Eldar solar sails, maybe there will be rules for Eldar holoshields too? (just joking :))

ECM looks pretty promising; it's basically just a negative shift on the 'gunnery table' for each weapon... You're not going to get the same effect against lances and fighters that you do in BFG, but against most battery weapons, a couple points of ECM is a non-terrible simulation.

Also, Cricket, I'd argue that sometimes different movement rules for different fleets would provide an advantage. In AE, at least, Naval Movement is strictly better than Basic Movement, for example, since it allows more turns without any loss of function (unless maybe you're not allowed to move in reverse? I forget... it's been a while). Solar vs Normal looks pretty entertaining, though.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't pretend to know whether one movement system would be "better" than another. All I will say officially is that the intent is for both sides to use the same system in any given game. If your group gets good results allowing one side to use solar and the other normal movement, I'd love to hear about it.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Marauder
Commander
Commander

Postby Marauder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I have to say Nova Edition is turning into a dream for Eldar players - ECM as a main defense - stealth with a rating - solar movement! All you need to do now is to come up with a negative ship trait where they have a penalty to the damage threshold rolls (i.e. to simulate how they were critically hit more easily in gothic).

Nomad - I think you'd have to be careful as to what movement modes you allowed - I don't think any two just work together - but solar seems to be fairly balanced with the basic movement.

I've seen some other systems that allow you to purchase different drive types that simulate different physics models. In those systems the ones that are clearly superior cost more/take more space or whatever.

Etheric seems a bit balanced, because while it doesn't allow you to reach the same breakneck speeds of the basic movement - it gives you some free breaking so keep things under control a bit better.

-Tim

Return to “Starmada”