New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 am

Majestic Twelve Games is pleased to announce that after months of planning, a brand-new edition of Starmada: The Universal Game of Starship Combat is slated for release in January 2012.

While in some ways this new edition will be notably different from previous incarnations of the game, at its core Starmada remains the game you have grown to know and (hopefully) love. As always, the guiding principle has been "simple, but not simplistic".

Among the changes to the core game system, players will find:

* A more streamlined movement system;

* Three distinct and layered types of starship defenses;

* A reduction in the number of die rolls -- and amount of time -- required to resolve ship-to-ship combat. In some cases, the outcome of an attack can be decided by a single throw of the dice!

On the other hand, much remains unchanged, such as:

* A commitment to balanced game play;

* A core set of rules accessible to beginners yet robust enough to support the needs of experienced gamers;

* The most comprehensive set of starship construction rules available in any game currently available!

And of course, Starmada will continue to provide dozens of stand-alone options and advanced rules from which you may pick and choose to fit your desired level of complexity and create the type of game you want to play.

Stay tuned to this space over the coming weeks as we continue to provide more information about this new edition -- I'm sure you'll like what you see!
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Inari7
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby Inari7 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 am

A more streamlined movement system

Three distinct and layered types of starship defenses

Tell us more......
No matter where you go there you are.

terryoc
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby terryoc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 am

Got a name for the new edition yet? Like the current edition is the Admiralty edition?

For those of us who play the SFU version, will the SFU stuff be upgraded for the new ed?

mundungus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mundungus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:02 am

I volunteer to playtest. :ugeek:

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 am

Great, another issue to shell out on... :P
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Great, just when I was getting the hang of S:AE! :roll:

I guess I will put my latest project on hold until the new version comes out and I feel compelled to start all over :)

Couple of questions: 1.) Will the "scale" of the game remain essentially the same as S:AE?
(2.) Will all future releases such as possible SFU tie-ins be done with the new rules?
3.) If so, will the old ADB/MJ12 Armadas be updated to the new "standard"?
Any way I look forward to seeing the new rules!
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 pm

More later, but in answer to some preliminary questions:

1) More streamlined movement: The actual movement of ships (i.e. pseudo-vectorish) remains unchanged; however, the means by which players determine that movement has been simplified, making it much easier to explain to newbies and for experienced players to remember (also, no more "absolute difference" discussions. :))

2) Three distinct forms of defense: Instead of assuming all ship defenses work in the same manner, differing only in "fluff" (i.e. "Shields" might in fact refer to armor plating, point defenses, etc.) there are now three kinds of defense that can be chosen from or combined on a single ship -- ECM, Shields, and Armor.

3) No official name for it, yet. Suggestions are welcome... Behind the scenes we've been calling it "Starmada: The Next Iteration". :)

4) My intent is to update all existing Star Fleet Armada ships out of the gate, and then move forward from there, probably with Battleship Armada.

5) Playtesters/reviewers are welcome.

6) The scale will remain the same.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Potential name: Starmada 2012: The Final Edition :p (little dig at the whole 'the world will end in 2012)

I'll be a reviewer. Playtests are...difficult...for me as I don't have the time nowadays, as well as one of my family moving next weekend.

But I'm not happy with you Dan, I've spent the last few months releasing new supplements just for them to become obsolete... :( /shakes fist angrily

;)

"This door is alarmed"

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:06 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Potential name: Starmada 2012: The Final Edition :p (little dig at the whole 'the world will end in 2012)

I had considered "Starmada: Doomsday", or "Starmada: The Mayan Edition".

I'll be a reviewer. Playtests are...difficult...for me as I don't have the time nowadays, as well as one of my family moving next weekend.

Send me an email, if you would.

But I'm not happy with you Dan, I've spent the last few months releasing new supplements just for them to become obsolete... :( /shakes fist angrily

;)

I know there will be some hard feelings -- there always are -- but Starmada shouldn't stand still. Other projects (some released, some still in waiting) have convinced me that now is the time, and I have confidence the changes being made are for the better. Hopefully you'll all agree.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:54 pm

cricket wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:Potential name: Starmada 2012: The Final Edition :p (little dig at the whole 'the world will end in 2012)

I had considered "Starmada: Doomsday", or "Starmada: The Mayan Edition".

Either one of those would work...:)

Send me an email, if you would.

Done.

;)

I know there will be some hard feelings -- there always are -- but Starmada shouldn't stand still. Other projects (some released, some still in waiting) have convinced me that now is the time, and I have confidence the changes being made are for the better. Hopefully you'll all agree.

I hope I will, too. If you want, I could try and do some new ship designs for the setting, see how easy it is to do--that I can do fairly easily...:)

"This door is alarmed"

Return to “Starmada”