New edition of Starmada coming in January!

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Trent
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Postby Trent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 am

Marauder wrote:Here's my "agile" pitch:

<snip>

Sounds good. I haven't tried to find holes in it, but I do like it.

diddimus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby diddimus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

Pivots are a fundamental movement option in a space game thought no? Moving in one direction and facing another?

As you have already introduced counters for current speed could you not use a "heading" counter?

Pivots:
- Spend thrust to pivot one or more hex sides (this can be reduced by the agile trait)
- Place counter to determine facing or heading
- Perhaps reduce to half thrust while pivoted to represent different thrusters need to be used.

I'm sure someone who knows more about physics can determine what the cost should be related to hull size or speed, but my suggestion seems a basic start.

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 am

I thought the new edition was to make things easier for new players to take up the game, not to pander to the few.
Anyone that has played Starmada can house rule to their hearts content.

This is getting to sound like a lot of "Asteroids*" to me.

*Pivot, Thrust, Pivot, Thrust, shoot asteroid, shoot asteroid, pivot, thrust, Oh ****. :lol:

Paul

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey Dan, any chance the rules will be available this weekend? My wife's working Saturday and Sunday so I have some free time to pour over, analyze, dissect and absorb some rules :)
Besides, all the speculation about what the rules do/don't have and what that might mean is driving me nuts. I just want to play and find out how everything works!
Just wondering, sorry to be impatient.
Cheers,
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:54 pm

OldnGrey wrote:I thought the new edition was to make things easier for new players to take up the game, not to pander to the few.
Anyone that has played Starmada can house rule to their hearts content.
Paul

First, it will surely be an optional rule :) . Second, it's not difficult to say 'I move the ship this way, etc. and at the end of its move, I use some thrust to pivot that way'.
You'll just need a marker to indicate the pivot, not only to re-pivot the ship the other way, but also to decide next turn if it will be modified or not.
I like the agile proposal, too.

Marc

Enpeze
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Enpeze » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:03 am

I find it unintuive if a ship can turn its "nose" during flight. I can accept a "roll" like you can often see in movies with warplanes, but not a pivot. And no, I dont care about RL physics because IMO Starmada is game and not a physics lecture. So if it is really necessary to have a pivot, (eg to portray universes like Babylon 5) please make it optional and not in the core rules.

One of the reasons I love Starmada and was able to play it with many gaming friends the last 15y was that it was made for casuals and movement/combat felt cinematically and dynamic like in a Star Wars or WW2 air combat movie and not dry like in 2010. (have you ever seen a pivot in a Star Wars movie?) :)

mikeaxe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mikeaxe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 pm

maxpax wrote
First, it will surely be an optional rule :) . Second, it's not difficult to say 'I move the ship this way, etc. and at the end of its move, I use some thrust to pivot that way'.

True, its not 'difficult' but along side all the other options it adds to the overall complexity and if you consider the dissuasion we've just had about solar sails all these move options are starting to add up.
Mike P.

madpax
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby madpax » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Enpeze wrote:(have you ever seen a pivot in a Star Wars movie?) :)

A movie where you hear starship moving and firing in space? :D
Yes, I know, all space opera movies ignore that you can't hear anything in space. If they knew, the movie would have been dull... :D
Whatever, AFAIK, pivot exists in Starmada to simulate a difference between direction of move and direction of ship. The ship doesn't magically pivot, fire and 'unpivot'.

Marc

BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I remember that in Starmada"X" there were Overthrusters that could be installed on ships. These were used after movement and seemed to be a sharp left or right turn; "hard-a-port! or "hard-a-starboard". I installed it on all my ships. The ship changed direction by one hex-side (60 degrees) and remained that way at the end of the turn. 8-)
Could this be an option in Starmada Nova Edition?
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm

BeowulfJB wrote:I remember that in Starmada"X" there were Overthrusters that could be installed on ships. These were used after movement and seemed to be a sharp left or right turn; "hard-a-port! or "hard-a-starboard". I installed it on all my ships. The ship changed direction by one hex-side (60 degrees) and remained that way at the end of the turn. 8-)
Could this be an option in Starmada Nova Edition?

Starmada X? There are Overthrusters in AE (ISS & IRN). ;)

Paul

Return to “Starmada”