Gate Drive

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Gate Drive

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Starmada is currently missing something like a Gate Drive/ Fold Drive? Something that would be big and complicated but useful for moving a bunch of ships (with limits of how close the sips need to be or placement of a gate or something). I have some house rule ideas, but I think this is something that is missing from the "official" product since it is something that shows up quite a bit in Sci-fi. I always feel that it is fun to put it on the biggest most powerful ships in a campaign because then you risk losing your squadron or fleet if you don't "protect" your biggest and potentially most powerful ship.
Just a thought.
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Gate Drive

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 am

No...I've also thought of something along those lines--it certainly would allow a more true-to-source-material conversion of B5...
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

murtalianconfederacy wrote:No...I've also thought of something along those lines--it certainly would allow a more true-to-source-material conversion of B5...

Several of the settings I like use something along the lines of a gate drive, with B5 being pretty Much the poster child.
The EDT (extra dimensional travel) drive from The S:X VBAM edition pretty much fit the bill and I have been surprised nothing like it has appeared in later editions.
Erik
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 am

I would guess that it's because it might be hard to accurately cost--cricket has said as much (I think) when talking about other 'area-effect' modes such as ELINT
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Spitballing off the top of my head:

I would say "Jump Drives" must be purchased with an associated hull size limit. For example, "Jump Drive (10)".

Such equipment would, in essence, grant a Hyperdrive to friendly ships within two hexes, up to this maximum. Thus, a Jump Drive (10) could give a Hyperdrive to five hull-2 ships, two hull-5 ships, three hull-3 ships and one hull-1 ship, etc.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Return to “Starmada”