Universal Conflict - Star Trek

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Universal Conflict - Star Trek

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 am

A lower cost alternative of the Constitution. The Avery Class.
Avery Class.png
Avery Class.png (192.55 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

Two more :mrgreen:
S&O.png
S&O.png (248.71 KiB) Viewed 163 times

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am

And in all her glory :shock:
DN.png
DN.png (220.53 KiB) Viewed 163 times

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm

And this completes the BASE Federation TOS lineup. There are and will be more Fed TOS ships but I will save those for the 2nd edition. :D

FF - Okinawa
DD - Saladin
CL - Avery
CA - Constitution
DN - Federation
CVE - Napoleon

CVE.png
CVE.png (221.86 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm

D-10 deleted, under revision.
Last edited by Johenric on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pm

You're missing some equipment, and not taking advantage of a game *ahem* exploit.

Tractor Beams: your best defense against weapon loss. Put about 2-4 TBs on your ships and those fragile systems fail from the first weapon hit (or 2 or 3 if you have a lot of TBs).

TBs also make for backup anti-seeker/fighter defense, although their to-hit is low (but they are small and cheap).

Another thing: small arcs. That's great in SFB, where movement has a lot of wiggle room and firing can be done at any time during movement. I expand the weapons arcs by 1 arc compared to SFB ships to account for simulated on-the-move firing solutions. Also, I often play against someone with 300 degree arcs for his main weapons so it's really disadvantageous to have limited arcs when playing against him. IMO, arcs over 180 degrees should scale up faster but instead actually scale slower (1 arc to 2 arcs is 2x : 3x, 50% increase, 4 arcs to 5 arcs is 5x : 6x, 20% increase).

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:14 am

GamingGlen wrote:You're missing some equipment, and not taking advantage of a game *ahem* exploit.

Tractor Beams: your best defense against weapon loss. Put about 2-4 TBs on your ships and those fragile systems fail from the first weapon hit (or 2 or 3 if you have a lot of TBs).

TBs also make for backup anti-seeker/fighter defense, although their to-hit is low (but they are small and cheap).

Another thing: small arcs. That's great in SFB, where movement has a lot of wiggle room and firing can be done at any time during movement. I expand the weapons arcs by 1 arc compared to SFB ships to account for simulated on-the-move firing solutions. Also, I often play against someone with 300 degree arcs for his main weapons so it's really disadvantageous to have limited arcs when playing against him. IMO, arcs over 180 degrees should scale up faster but instead actually scale slower (1 arc to 2 arcs is 2x : 3x, 50% increase, 4 arcs to 5 arcs is 5x : 6x, 20% increase).

UC ships are designed to be balanced with each other so the arcs are very important for game play. Positioning and trying to out think your opponents next move becomes MUCH more interesting then not much caring where you end up because the arcs are huge.
I intentionally left tractor beams out because that is not how Star Trek canon uses tractor beams. That was a SFB thing.
UC is not about minmaxing. You will find some of these designs have a bit of space left over and this is intentional for cost balancing and Trek feel accuracy. :mrgreen:

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm

GamingGlen, here is a klingon ship thinking of you! ;)
The D-5 is a special ship in the Klingon fleet. Its supports weapons with sweeping arcs so it can continuously deliver the pain no matter the facing. Originally a battlecruiser, it is now classed as a destroyer as newer ship designs were constructed. This is one mean destroyer as it supports a variety of weapon systems. :twisted:

d5.png
d5.png (147.17 KiB) Viewed 118 times

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Well, 360 is going a bit overboard, especially with the big guns. :P

Your defense weapons is a problem. Klingons charge the enemy. Hard to destroy those seekers/fighters in front of you with rear-firing defense weapons. I tend to group them as a "Defensive Array Network" representing a variety of defensive measures (various short-ranged weapons, small capacity tractor beams, countermeasures to small warheads with tracking ability, etc.) all around the ship and give it 360 degrees arcs of fire. But that's me, preferring not to get too fiddly with the small weapons.

As for single arcs weapons (G), I save that arc for spinal mounts (Traveller), rail guns of a particular race from Full Thrust, or big anime one-shot-one-kill type of weapons. The Photon Torpedoes in Star Trek did have limited tracking and can veer their course (like underwater torpedoes). Even then I don't like playing those single arc weapons after years of frustration. Having a big gun that you might fire once is not much fun. Hmm, usually that happens on first approach, after that it's hard to get a single arc weapon on the enemy in a turning battle. Maybe I'll make a weapon with "Slw; Slw" since firing once only and early is the most likely scenario before the ship gets blown up.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 am

GamingGlen wrote:Well, 360 is going a bit overboard, especially with the big guns. :P

Your defense weapons is a problem. Klingons charge the enemy. Hard to destroy those seekers/fighters in front of you with rear-firing defense weapons. I tend to group them as a "Defensive Array Network" representing a variety of defensive measures (various short-ranged weapons, small capacity tractor beams, countermeasures to small warheads with tracking ability, etc.) all around the ship and give it 360 degrees arcs of fire. But that's me, preferring not to get too fiddly with the small weapons.

As for single arcs weapons (G), I save that arc for spinal mounts (Traveller), rail guns of a particular race from Full Thrust, or big anime one-shot-one-kill type of weapons. The Photon Torpedoes in Star Trek did have limited tracking and can veer their course (like underwater torpedoes). Even then I don't like playing those single arc weapons after years of frustration. Having a big gun that you might fire once is not much fun. Hmm, usually that happens on first approach, after that it's hard to get a single arc weapon on the enemy in a turning battle. Maybe I'll make a weapon with "Slw; Slw" since firing once only and early is the most likely scenario before the ship gets blown up.

My arcs are based on what we see on screen and then what we can reasonably guess would make sense. That 360 isn't because i felt like it but because it is suggested that there is a dual disruptor turret on the belly of the D5. And i can't make the other disruptors that are locked in a forward direction shoot to the side. Staying as true to canon as possible doesn't allow it.
Star Trek ships were not designed to fight waves of fighters or missiles. You see them on screen use their main weapons in some capacity to shoot small things so i have to tread carefully in this area.
SFB did a lot of things that are not supported by canon in terms of ship/weapon design. I still love a lot of SFB ships but not all systems or ships with fit into a canon focused ship list.

Return to “Starmada”