Universal Conflict - Star Trek

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Universal Conflict - Star Trek

Postby BeowulfJB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 am

Congratulations on becoming a father. Hope all goes well. :D
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 am

BeowulfJB wrote:Congratulations on becoming a father. Hope all goes well. :D

Oh this is #7 but thank you all the same. As you can guess it is hard to find the time.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 am

Update and a little explanation on Klingon weapons IMO.
Old Adversaries.png
Old Adversaries.png (322.25 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Klingon Photons: Notice I didn't call them torpedoes. From all my time watching Star Trek (Discovery doesn't count and don't get me started) Klingon photon launchers always glow right before they fire and Federation ones do not, nor do other powers like Dominion or Cardassian. Because of this i believe the Klingon photon is a ball of energy and doesn't actually have a casing. This is how i justify making Klingon photons unique from Federation torpedoes and different in function.
I do know of the Magnetic Pulse weapon that is canon and fired from the nose of the D7 as seen on screen. That will be another variant! 8-)

Klingon Disruptors: I have taken from many sources to build this D7. I have never heard or seen Klingon ships using phasers in canon. Sorry all you SFB guys. :P But i do understand the need for some type of point defense. Hence the pulse disruptors and i located them similar to the "phaser emitters" placed on the D7s hull from a couple different sources.
The heavy disruptor Mk 8s are the ones that are mounted on the engines and the Mk 7s hang on the ventral side of the forward sections left and right wings on the 'head' of the ship. Ya know, the little bumps you sometimes see under there. I have seen in places them called other things but i think this works best. :mrgreen:

Klingon Tactics: The D7 must keep the enemy in its forward arc for the majority of the battle to be victorious. In Universal Conflict engine 5 will be fast for a Heavy Cruiser. Use it for all you can. D7 will work best in pairs or packs so you can be more certain that a target will be in forward arc.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Here is an example of the detail i am going into. Ships may have many variants. Like the NX Enterprise. We saw her go through many refits and upgrades and these three still don't cover them all! :shock:
progression.png
progression.png (556.12 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 pm

I see quite a few views but no one comments. Not sure if that is good or bad but if i have to ask i am guessing not on the good side. :?

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:32 am

Designs look good. I agree about no phasers for the Klingons, my designs have various disruptors as well.

My designs have a lot more armor, I mean screens, and longer ranged weapons (most go to 15-18). If the enemy has range 18 weapons then you are more likely to lose if you don't come close to it. Our local house rule is that 18 is the max range, although Long Range Sensors can extend that, and weapons on bases can have a range up to 30.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:07 pm

GamingGlen wrote:Designs look good. I agree about no phasers for the Klingons, my designs have various disruptors as well.

My designs have a lot more armor, I mean screens, and longer ranged weapons (most go to 15-18). If the enemy has range 18 weapons then you are more likely to lose if you don't come close to it. Our local house rule is that 18 is the max range, although Long Range Sensors can extend that, and weapons on bases can have a range up to 30.

These designs are made to progress. The TNG ships will have the longer range weapons. If i was just doing TOS stand alone they would be longer.
As for the defense, do you put on more screen then you have hull? I have in my mind always used that as my personal high end (not house rule). Maybe the Cardassian ships might get a little more and Klingon ship always see to pop a little easier so they get a little less.
I agree, range 30 weapons must be on a base or some very special circumstance.

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Johenric wrote:
These designs are made to progress. The TNG ships will have the longer range weapons. If i was just doing TOS stand alone they would be longer.

I understand that, but locally we won't be doing anything like that. I do have some tech improvements for various generations, but lowest end range is 12.

As for the defense, do you put on more screen then you have hull? I have in my mind always used that as my personal high end (not house rule).

Sometimes more, sometimes less. I tend to get the CRAT values to be multiples of 50 or 100, makes the math easier to come up with spur of the moment fleet sizes. Or if a small ship ends up with a CRAT of 85, I'll make another ship with a CRAT of n15 to even both to some n00 value. My Klingons do favor less screens for more weapons (Hiv!).

BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm

My personal designs tend to have almost twice as much armor (screens) as hull, with level three screens. I like the heavy armor to delay as long as possible losing any weapons. I like my ships to go down fighting.
My StarTrek type designs have the same amount of screens as armor. I also give the Photon Torpedoes, disruptors, and phasers a maximum range of 18. I use these designs for new players to use because they are simpledesigns.
Here is a Constitution class Federation BC:

Federation BC (600)
-Tech: Engines +2; Weapons +2

Screens: 11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Hull: 11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Engines: 5-5-4-3-2-1
Weapons: 21-18-14-11-7-4
Shields: 4-4-3-2-2-1

Phaser (6-12-18) 1×3+/1/1
ABCD ☐| ABCD ☐| ABC ☐| ABC ☐| ABD ☐| ABD ☐ // (3)

Photon Torpedo (6-12-18) 1×3+/1/5 (Pr1)
GHI ☐| GHI ☐| GHI ☐ // (2)

Point-Defense Phaser (2-4-6) 1×3+/1/1 (Dfn)
360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐ // (3)

Equipment: Hyperdrive ☐| Overthrusters ☐| Tractor Beam ☐☐☐☐ // (3)

Marines : 2-1

The Klingon D7 is also a 600 point ship.
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!

Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

BeowulfJB wrote:My personal designs tend to have almost twice as much armor (screens) as hull, with level three screens. I like the heavy armor to delay as long as possible losing any weapons. I like my ships to go down fighting.
My StarTrek type designs have the same amount of screens as armor. I also give the Photon Torpedoes, disruptors, and phasers a maximum range of 18. I use these designs for new players to use because they are simpledesigns.
Here is a Constitution class Federation BC:

Federation BC (600)
-Tech: Engines +2; Weapons +2

Screens: 11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Hull: 11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Engines: 5-5-4-3-2-1
Weapons: 21-18-14-11-7-4
Shields: 4-4-3-2-2-1

Phaser (6-12-18) 1×3+/1/1
ABCD ☐| ABCD ☐| ABC ☐| ABC ☐| ABD ☐| ABD ☐ // (3)

Photon Torpedo (6-12-18) 1×3+/1/5 (Pr1)
GHI ☐| GHI ☐| GHI ☐ // (2)

Point-Defense Phaser (2-4-6) 1×3+/1/1 (Dfn)
360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐| 360° ☐ // (3)

Equipment: Hyperdrive ☐| Overthrusters ☐| Tractor Beam ☐☐☐☐ // (3)

Marines : 2-1

The Klingon D7 is also a 600 point ship.

I try to build my ships as close to canon as possible but everyone has their own flavor. :mrgreen:

Return to “Starmada”