Universal Conflict - Star Trek

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Universal Conflict - Star Trek

Postby GamingGlen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 am

What you see on screen is what the plot calls for or what the sfx people can create.

There is no true canon on how Star Trek weapons work. I have seen photon torpedoes curve as they track their target; especially in one of the movies where a torpedo was specially built to follow the trail of the cloaked Klingon's torpedo back to the Klingon ship. It curved quite a bit (plot device). TNG Enterprise's phaser(s) swung around under the main hull in a huge arc. TOS Enterprise were more limited, but then all you saw was two beams firing down or forward from either side or front under the main hull. I would give those ABC, GHI, ABD arcs (3 banks of 2).

You can look at the bumpy bits on a miniature and use that to deduce weapons and arcs. Foregoing the 3D aspect, seems to me that those bumpy bits have bigger range of arcs than you're portraying. My arcs tend to be wider, and then wider still because of my usual opponent. But those are your designs to play with.

Tactical maneuvering is fine, but Starmada's movement system is not all that great. Your designs should also consider the game mechanics, not necessarily to exploit them but to account how you think the weapons (or other systems) should work given the game limitations (i.e., no firing while on the move). If I think a weapon should normally be AB, I'll make it GHI so that after movement enemy ships that were probably in the AB arc during the move might still be within the GHI arcs during the Combat Phase, and also allows for your ship's maneuvering to have some wiggle in it to offset the limited 6 directions the miniature can be facing. We got used to using the 12 directions on a hex map a ship can be facing in Full Thrust (hex side or hex spine) due to its normal 12 points of facing when not using hexes. We haven't worked on how to do that in Starmada (adapting the movement system; firing arcs would be fairly easy).

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

GamingGlen wrote:What you see on screen is what the plot calls for or what the sfx people can create.

In that case we can discount everything we see because plot always overrides everything. Just the way it is.
My point is you have to come to logical conclusions and understand where sfx people made mistakes, plot made hero ships and what the game system allows.

GamingGlen wrote:Tactical maneuvering is fine, but Starmada's movement system is not all that great.

Default movement for B5 like stuff and optional movement rules for Star Trek type stuff. I think they work well.

GamingGlen wrote:Your designs should also consider the game mechanics, not necessarily to exploit them but to account how you think the weapons (or other systems) should work given the game limitations (i.e., no firing while on the move).
If I think a weapon should normally be AB, I'll make it GHI so that after movement enemy ships that were probably in the AB arc during the move might still be within the GHI arcs during the Combat Phase, and also allows for your ship's maneuvering to have some wiggle in it to offset the limited 6 directions the miniature can be facing. We got used to using the 12 directions on a hex map a ship can be facing in Full Thrust (hex side or hex spine) due to its normal 12 points of facing when not using hexes. We haven't worked on how to do that in Starmada (adapting the movement system; firing arcs would be fairly easy).

I am very aware of game mechanics and making ship position means little turns the game in to a roll off. Writing orders and trying to outsmart your opponent, anticipating his move, holding that slow firing weapon till the time is right. That is the fun in what i am creating. This also gives smaller ships a little more survivability as they can more easily stay away from heavy weapons of the big guys.
We may have to agree to disagree. :mrgreen:

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 pm

TWO ship packs are now available! Federation and Klingon. Download them in the Universal Conflict post in The Bourbaki Basin section of the forums.

Return to “Starmada”