Unity: Seeking Weapons deployment Limits?

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Unity: Seeking Weapons deployment Limits?

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

mj12games wrote:See Romulan Armada. ;)

Oh. So it has been thought of, good.

But I really don't want to buy another book for some design options. Maybe I'll just stick to flying Klingons as I got lots of miniatures of those, just a few Romulan ships.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm

GamingGlen wrote:But I really don't want to buy another book for some design options.

A fair point. Once it has been tested outside of the SFU, I may make the trait (Evp = "Evaporating") available in the spreadsheet.

For now, however, it has a 0.7 multiplier and works as follows: at the end of each move, if the seeker flight does not impact its target, its IMP is reduced by 1. When reduced to 0, the flight is removed from the game.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm

For now, however, it has a 0.7 multiplier and works as follows: at the end of each move, if the seeker flight does not impact its target, its IMP is reduced by 1. When reduced to 0, the flight is removed from the game.

Thanks! I can add it myself. Is it ranged based? The spreadsheet has a column for that.

I'm going to need it to keep those pesky Beo-Mart armed freighters from setting up shops in my vast Glenian empire. :roll:

Our map is about 48 hexes long and 24-30 hexes wide. We like maneuvering room (well, I do).

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm

GamingGlen wrote:Thanks! I can add it myself. Is it ranged based? The spreadsheet has a column for that.

No, it is not range-based.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,
The games that we had played here in Jacksonville with seekers demonstrated that speed 12 was plenty. When we used some of the book ships, we changed their Pnp trait to Dfs on point-defenses to allow them to fire b4 getting hit. The cost is the same and it made those ships with point-defense more effective against seekers and fighters.
If we do re-allow seekers in games that we play here in Jacksonville, the idea of limiting the number of seekers a ship can fire based on its mass (like fighter launch) seems to be a balancing solution.
We play twice a week and I have been having much fun.
Cheers.
Steven
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Hello everyone,
I am in South Florida this weekend and played a 3200 point game against Gaming-Glenn &teamed with my father. I used six Ds and thee BBs.
Four of the DDs had two launchers for seekers. These four-hull DDs cost 125 each the seekers they launched were speed 12, and were 1x3+/5/5; very powerful. My fleet launched eights flights of these per turn, and I focused all eight flights on one ship per turn. These seekers dominated the game. One of my dad's 700 point BB with level 3 shields was hit by 19 of 48 missiles after lots of AA fire. The ship took 235 points of damage and vanished. Another One of Glen's damaged 800 pt BBs was also wiped out. His biggest ship was targeted by a flight of eight seekers and had to move out of the battle. These DD-TTs were 500 of 3200 points and did over half of the damage. The three BBs I played did not do nearly as much harm as the seekers.
We have concluded that seekers, as they are now are just too powerful, so we are not gonna use them again.
Thoughts?
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!

Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Was that the ship SSD you showed me with lots of CD2 mounts or was that the other anti-seeker ship SSD?
(edit, after seeing the SSD at another game time: it was the other ship)

Can seekers be put in multi-weapon mounts?

I had a ship with (my version of the weapons) 4x Plasma-Rs (5x2+/5/5 Evp; Slw) and 2x Plasma-Fs (5x2+/2/2 Evp; Slw), all MA-9, that either got shot down or were used to attack his massive wave of seekers. I did manage to destroy the first wave of his seekers using plasma torpedoes and the close-ranged "anti-seeker" weapons my ships had, but not so much any others.

Speed 9 was not fast enough for plasma torpedoes. I can't believe they are speed 8 in Romulan Armada. Ships could not go as fast as plasma torpedoes in SFB. Never. In Starmada ships can out run them fairly easily at speed 8 or 9. Mine are being upped to speed 12, not that we're allowing them any more.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 pm

mj12games wrote:
GamingGlen wrote:But I really don't want to buy another book for some design options.

A fair point. Once it has been tested outside of the SFU, I may make the trait (Evp = "Evaporating") available in the spreadsheet.

Interesting! What I have done in house is made the plasma torpedoes DMG is reduced by one at the end of each move and IMP reduced by one for every hit it takes. Either one goes to zero the Plasma Torpedo is removed. No cost change because of its ability to take hits. Having a Plasma R go down to one little hit was a no go in my book. :shock:
Also, it makes you balance the IMP and DMG on your torp designs and not load all into one or the other. Well you can but it will make your torp vulnerable or very short ranged.

Johenric
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Johenric » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 am

Another thing i will be play testing next Wednesday is Seeking weapons but they do NOT get any type of save. My friend has these nasty 4/4 catastrophic, piercing, kinetic missiles that only one needs to get through and thats game. His base saves are 4+. My ship is crippled or destroyed unless i build nothing but PD but even then it only takes one typically.
Soooo... I am hoping that removing these doomsday weapons saves my be a way to mitigate their OP status :roll:
He also plays with another guy and the have house ruled NO SEEKERS AT ALL. Yikes! I hate to gut a game like that so i keep using them at my place. I want to believe that is is our faults that we just are not designing the ships correctly. We get stuck in our minds what should work and not what does work. I don't believe Seekers should be house ruled out but after many different approaches to this problem, it still feels to hard to counter. :|

GamingGlen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:42 am

I went with ROF 5 for each plasma torpedo so each one is like a flight of seekers and each hit on the torpedo reduces the warhead strength.
Plasma R: 5x2+/5/5 Evp, Slw
Plasma S: 5x2+/4/4 Evp, Slw
Plasma K: 5x2+/3/3 Evp, Slw (the Klingon experimental variant for the D7's nose)
Plasma F: 5x2+/2/2 Evp, Slw
Plasma D: 5x2+/2/1 Evp (anti seeker/fighter torp)

We also eliminated the save option for seekers. We finally barred seekers after a day of experimentation. Even the restriction of number fired did not help. Without the Evp trait they can go forever, which seems wrong.

Return to “Starmada”