Starmada: Unity Rulebook

The Universal Game of Starship Combat
Marauder
Commander
Commander

Re: Starmada: Unity Rulebook

Postby Marauder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:21 pm

mj12games wrote:Anyone who orders the hard copy before the end of April will get the PDF download for free.

I'll be taking you up on that offer!

-Tim

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:11 am

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

wombatzoner

Postby wombatzoner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 am

Excellent! I've been thinking of dusting off my starship minis, so this new edition is particularly well timed!

wombatzoner

Postby wombatzoner » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 am

Quick question after looking over the demo rules: Am I missing something or does the example text on page 10 for the Engines and Weapons tracks not match the sample tracks shown?

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:05 am

Arrgh.

No, it's not you.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 am

Aaaaannd...ordered :D
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Blacklancer99
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Blacklancer99 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:58 pm

My initial thought after doing a quick scan through of the rulebook is this is exactly what I personally have wanted...A true fusion of the best parts of previous iterations with some tweaking here and there and a sprinkling of new things. I feel like Unity takesvan excellent step back to being more UNIVERSAL. I felt like Nova was tailored to SFU gameplay in some ways. For me, I spend far far FAR more time tinkering with ship design and conversion than actual gameplay and Unity looks like it will be more enjoyable for me in that respect.

I plan on spending the afternoon pretending to take pictures of my kid hunting for Easter eggs while really reading through the PDF rules on my phone. I'm sure my wife won't notice :)

Cheers,
Erik
PS Yay probes! :lol:
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.
Mark Twain.

Alex Knight
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Alex Knight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Blacklancer99 wrote:I plan on spending the afternoon pretending to take pictures of my kid hunting for Easter eggs while really reading through the PDF rules on my phone. I'm sure my wife won't notice :)

Take a couple of good shots and you might pull it off... :lol:

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:34 pm

I saw this new edition as a 'sponsored link' on Facebook and I had to get a copy.

Congrats on the new edition! I'll need to update all my Star Fleet battles to the new edition as well (which has been talked about).

-Bren

murtalianconfederacy
Admiral
Admiral

Postby murtalianconfederacy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 am

A question on seeking weapons. In the construction rules (why, that was the first thing I went to, why'd you ask? :p) there's a bit that perplexes me. It reads: "In addition, seeking weapons apply a divisor...". Should that read modifier, b/c otherwise heavier weapons would be smaller than lighter weapons...(I haven't played around with the drydock yet, so maybe I'm missing something...)

EDIT: Okay, I tried it out with the drydock and it seems to be correct. I do the seeker weapon as a standard weapon then apply the divisor (at least that's what I get from the drydock). I must have been slightly tired when reading that because I only thought of the 'correct' meaning as an afterthought.

And I guess that with a dual-mode weapon, one mode with seeker, one without, you work out the CRat with the longer range (for example, a MA 8 seeker weapon and a RNG 12 standard weapon would base the ORat on the seeker weapon). That enables a Unity version of Eternal Quest to be done...:D

And, while I'm here, in a Multi-Weapon Mount which has Fire-Linked, would a successful to-hit roll mean all the weapons hit? I'm assuming so, and if so, that means I could use a single weapon to create larger versions of that weapon without doing a light/medium/heavy weapon (I'm particularly thinking about my current weapon obsession which is a beam cannon--the shield-cracker mode would have Fire-Linked while the sweeper mode would be normal)
Staff Door at my local Waterstones:

"This door is alarmed"

:) :)

Return to “Starmada”