Conquest Oregon Oct 1-3, 2010

Playing together with our little guys
go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Conquest Oregon Oct 1-3, 2010

Postby go0gleplex » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 am

Once again the wife and I will be attending this event in Hillsboro, Oregon at the fair grounds. This year I've committed to running a Starmada: AE game on Saturday. Considering running a Wardogs game on Sunday, just have to get enough terrain put together for it if I can. :)
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Conquest Oregon Oct 1-3, 2010

Postby go0gleplex » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:27 am

The game review committee rejected the game application for a reason they have yet to disclose, so no Starmada game at this event after all. :(
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 am

Con AAR.
Don't bother with this con in the future unless you play WH40k, D&D 4e, or simply like to play a lot of boardgames. Their miniatures space was almost 1/3 again as large as the general game and dealer areas...had 8 tables set up with LOTS of room left over...all to serve 16 players. Other miniatures games were "discouraged" to make room for the WH crowd.
There were no RPG games played other than the 4e tables...other RPGs being relegated to the back corner where GMs lanquished in shunned obscurity. Most of the 200+ people that showed up were there to play boardgames.

Suffice to say that I was disappointed in the con and do not plan to attend future events. They couldn't even supply the T-shirts advertised with the pre-reg...though they were good about giving a refund back. :(

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 am

When you say 'Boardgames' - you mean like 'Risk'?

Sounds like they only wanted the 'usual suspects' to come - 200 people the WHOLE WEEKEND?

I loath the 'there can be only one' attitude. Competition engenders competition, that only IMPROVES the offerings of 'up-and-comers'. I know the economy's down, but this sounds like 'Epic Fail' to me.....

...oh, and Todd? Thanks for the Anime suggestions.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:18 am

200+ folks. Granted it's only the second year the con has been held. First year wasn't much better game-wise...still...was giving it the benefit of the doubt due to the first year held issue. My mistake.

Boardgames as in Axis and Allies, Frag, and a few others.

No problem with the anime Mike. Have more...but those are the ones that I think would hold more of a universal appeal without getting too intricate with the plots.

Billiam

Postby Billiam » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the con report - I was thinking of coming down from Seattle for this year's Hillsboro event, but didn't in the end. Sounds like I made the right call. Sorry you got to do the reporting.

I've just turned in a couple Starmada events for Conquest Seattle 2011, but I made sure they didn't conflict with the GT play times. The Seattle event has been around longer and is better attended, so hopefully I'll have a better experience than you did.

Return to “Conventions”