Gencon 2009

Playing together with our little guys
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Gencon 2009

Postby thedugan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:44 pm

jimbeau wrote:player-funded miniatures line?

If you go that route, you need something like a savings stamp system, and a way to refund if minis don't come about...
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 pm

thedugan wrote:

If you go that route, you need something like a savings stamp system, and a way to refund if minis don't come about...

You mean you couldn't just keep the money and go to the Bahamas?

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm

underling wrote:
thedugan wrote:

You mean you couldn't just keep the money and go to the Bahamas?

Yeah, like I ever get sent any money....Okay, money not intended for MY use....
:D

Yeah, something to guarantee a return on dollars invested. I was watching something on the ?History? channel yesterday, and Volkswagen had something like that when they were first introduced - I didn't catch the details.

We all know that no one's going to take off with the minis fund, but having such a mechanism in place makes "investors" more confident about putting money into such a venture.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

underling wrote:You mean you couldn't just keep the money and go to the Bahamas?

Stop telling people about the Master Plan!
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Boy....those ships wouldn't be too out of place in several of the anime I have. The model looks cool...dunno bout the game. :)
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm

The game has some interesting mechanics.
Movement order is based on class.
Initiative is rolled at the start of a turn, with the losing side moving battleships first, followed by the winning side.
The losing side then moves the cruisers, followed by the winning side.
And finally the destroyers were moved.
A torpedo is "plotted" by putting a marker on a ship firing the torpedo, and then another marker corresponding to that torpedo out on the board at the destination hex. The two hexes set the line of fire.
If any ships crosses or ends up in that line during the movement phase, there's a chance they will be hit.
Or something like that...
Gunfire is pretty straightforward, although no modifiers were used during the demos.
There are four basic firing arcs, with each firing arc simply having a battery of guns, depending on the ship. Due to the flying nature of the ships, there aren't nearly as many, or as big, guns as the wet navy counterparts of the day (early 1900s). I believe even the BBs are shown as having only 4" or 5" guns.
They use special d12s, the "type" of d12 determined by the size of gun that is firing.
Each ship has six damage locations in each firing arc, with each location having an armor rating and "stuff" listed (crew, tesla coils, engines, etc...) at that location. When a gun is fired, it rolls the appropriate type and number of d12s, along with a d6 location die. If the d12 total equals or exceeds the armor rating at the location rolled, then the "stuff" listed there is destroyed. If a second hit occurs on a destroyed location, then the strength of the hit is compared to the structural integrity of the ship. If the hit is strong enough, the ship goes down down. Literally...
Now there may be some additional mechanics or rules that'll be included with the game that weren't being used for the demos, but what I've just described is kind of how the game works.
It'll definitely be a game to keep track of, especially if the models turn out being good and reasonably priced.
Kevin

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 pm

cricket wrote:
underling wrote:You mean you couldn't just keep the money and go to the Bahamas?

Stop telling people about the Master Plan!

The Bahamas is over-rated, too many tourists. I hear Costa Rica is nice.

I'm all for the "Castle in the Andes" thing, myself...

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Archon's in St. Louis at the beginning of October, eh? Sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone going and have space for one in their room?

-Bren

Return to “Conventions”