Gencon 2009

Playing together with our little guys
underling
Commodore
Commodore

Gencon 2009

Postby underling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Looks like I'm heading off to Indy tomorrow morning.
I'll watch for any MJ-12 games being run and try to stop by.
Kevin

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Gencon 2009

Postby underling » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 am

Guess I'll post a response to my original post.
The trip over to Indy always kind of sucks, as it's right at about 700 miles.
Especially the part through Illinois... ;)
But the convention always makes up for the trip, with the dealer hall being worth the trip all by itself.

This year I actually played a few more games than I normally seem to.

Wings of War was first up. I really thought it'd be a little too fiddly for my tastes, but was had a three on three game and it was actually a lot of fun. We didn't use some of the more advanced rules, like trailing smoke, observer killed, and of course, the infamous golden BB pilot killed card. But I could see if some of those were used the game would really come into its own. As it was, it was good enough for me that I'll probably pick up one of the games.

Next up was Rush 'N Crush at the Rackham booth. I love racing games, and this one was pretty cool.
And brutal...
We played a three player game, but I could see with six players this one would rock. The only minor quibble is that the racing cars are really small. But the ten boards are geomorphic, so a lot of different track configurations can be constructed. I'll always be partial to my racing game, but this one was good enough that I'll probably pick it up also.

Monsterpocolypse...
Cool concept...
Cool models...
Cool game play with surprising depth...
I've held off buying into it until this weekend.
Which obviously means that I bought into it this weekend. :D
But hey, PP was running a special of buy the game and get two boosters free.
I mean... how can you say no to that?
And there was a vendor selling boosters for $4 each, so I bought five of those.
And there were plenty of vendors selling the big guys in pairs, so I bought the two I liked for $25.

And there were a couple of guys running one of the coolest games I've seen in a long time.
I believe it was the company that does the maps for PP, but they had constructed an abstract representation of New York City on a one piece vinyl map that was the equivalent of about ten regular maps put together, with somewhere around 200 buildings, give or take a few.
Talk about your monster mayhem.

Finally, I talked six of the guys I was gaming with into playtesting the fantasy skirmish rules I've been working on, and we ended up playing until 2:00 AM on Saturday morning. So they liked it a little, and gave me some really good feedback.

All in all it was a worthwhile trip and a fun weekend being able to catch up with the guys I see once a year.
And I'm already looking forward to next year.
Kevin
PS: And I forgot to mention one of the cool demos I watched. I think it's by Catalyst Games, but it's an alternate history set around 1900.

http://monstersinthesky.com/

The game's going to be called Leviathans, and it features multi-hex destroyers, cruisers and battleships.
that... fly, baby, fly!!!
Woot!!!

With...
{cue cool music}
A planned line of miniatures!

I think it's scheduled for a fall or winter release. The mechanics looked okay, but because of the potential line of miniatures, it's definitely one to watch. Suppopsedly a prototype model wass there, but was hard to catch up with.

ANd finally, Battlelore had the Heroes box finally available for it, and rough models for a planned monsters expansion, as well as another one that I can't seem to remember the name of. But there were definitely two expansions in the planned stages.

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Crap, had I known you were going to make the trip, I would have found you to try your 'new' skirmish game. I was demoing MonPoc on Thursday and Sunday (as well as WM/H so take my opinion with a grain of salt) - for a simple game, it's got a bunch of strategy (and the monsters always come with their pair). I try to work for PP so I can get a free badge for the convention.

Did you get a picture of the large game board. I'd love to see a couple of pictures..

The rest of the post action report coming soon!
-Bren

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:10 pm

jygro wrote:...for a simple game, it's got a bunch of strategy (and the monsters always come with their pair).

I agree.
I've read the rules before, but not actually played the game until this last weekend.
The mechanics are fairly simple, but there are also a nice number of tactical decisions that need to be made.
jgyro wrote:Did you get a picture of the large game board. I'd love to see a couple of pictures..

I didn't, but I think the guy I was rooming with got a couple.
I'll see if I can get them from him.
It was *the* coolest Monpoc board I've ever seen.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm

underling wrote:Especially the part through Illinois...

When you come to Archon in a month and a half, you'll only have to drive 11 miles into Illinois. ;)

Monsterpocolypse...
Cool concept...
Cool models...
Cool game play with surprising depth...

Agreed on the first two -- can't comment on the third, as I have no one to play against around here.

http://monstersinthesky.com/

The game's going to be called Leviathans, and it features multi-hex destroyers, cruisers and battleships.
that... fly, baby, fly!!!
Woot!!!

Just checked out the web site. VERY cool!

How exactly does MJ12 get a bigger budget so we can start doing stuff like that?
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

Star Ranger
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Star Ranger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Monsterpocolypse has a Voltron supplement coming in 2010......Form Blazing Sword!
Starship Combat News
The latest info on space games and miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Great....

ARES: Kaiju! is currently on hold, and someone's gone and done something I thought we could of done with Iron Stars....

Ah, well...no one's going broke, and I still think Dan's (and Kevin's) game designs are a bit better....

I am NOT ready to do minis - I have yet to get a shop built.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Star Ranger wrote:Monsterpocolypse has a Voltron supplement coming in 2010......Form Blazing Sword!

Anyone in Fort Worth have Monsterpocalypse and a Monday off in about a month?

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 pm

cricket wrote:How exactly does MJ12 get a bigger budget so we can start doing stuff like that?

Small business loan?

:shock:

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

player-funded miniatures line?

Return to “Conventions”