Origins 09

Playing together with our little guys
jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Origins 09

Postby jimbeau » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:36 pm

Once more I am planning my Origins trip.

I have signed up to run 5 miniatures games this year, three FtM games and two Starmada:AE games. I'm trying to get into the "Play with a Creator" track this year.

Code: Select all

Thursday     6pm     For the Masses
Friday       1pm     For the Masses
Friday       6pm     Starmada
Saturday     1pm     Starmada
Saturday     6pm     For the Masses -- Orcs Need Women!

Come one come all.

Maybe I'll even try to plan a little better and have all the photocopies made BEFORE I get to Ohio! :shock:

Ken_Burnside
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Origins 09

Postby Ken_Burnside » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Jim, if all goes according to plan, I'll have a Windows laptop with Office on it, and a laser printer with me at the Ad Astra area.

So if there's something you've dropped, let me know and I can help you out.

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Yea! I love to play in the FtM games. What are you running in terms of Starmada and have you had a decent turnout? I thinking about running some games, but don't want to dilute the market too much!

-Bren

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 pm

dude, I would LOVE to have you run a couple...

I usually get at least on game of 6 and a couple with 4...

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:53 pm

jimbeau wrote:dude, I would LOVE to have you run a couple...

I usually get at least on game of 6 and a couple with 4...

I'm talking with Table Top Games to use their area for some Song of Blade and Heroes games (that one you checked out during the FtM game) and there is talk about me running some Starmada games as well. I have some Battlestars that are just asking to get finished (including the basestars and all the needed fighters), but I'd have to get a black hex gaming mat (I'll hang my head in shame now). I wonder if I plead to a manufactor of those game maps that I'll be using it for convention work that I can get a decent discount (hell, I have no shame - I'll promise to include their name in all games)...

-Bren

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:57 am

I'm slated to do two Starmada events. One on Friday and the second on Saturday that are 4 hours for 6 players. The game will be using the BSG stuff that I've collected over the years.

My only question now is: What is a good game level for convention games? 1000pts per player, 750 points, 500 points? I'm currious what other people have used for 'starter' games.

-Bren

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:24 pm

jygro wrote:I'm slated to do two Starmada events. One on Friday and the second on Saturday that are 4 hours for 6 players. The game will be using the BSG stuff that I've collected over the years.

My only question now is: What is a good game level for convention games? 1000pts per player, 750 points, 500 points? I'm currious what other people have used for 'starter' games.

-Bren

usually it's 3-4 ships each, then tweak depending on the number of specials.

really, basic ships are the best as they require fewer special rules to explain.

only a few fighters on the board, and have them out at the beginning of the game. use cinematic movement unless you're better at explaining the crazy movement system than I am :)

also, do NOT drink yourself silly the night before the game, and sleeping at least little bit the night before helps ;)

don't be surprised if people come to the game with the intention of undermining it, I often have people who come in saying..."I love Full Thrust so everything you do is going to make me unhappy" well they don't say that, but you get the idea.

I once had two guys who seemed to revel in the fact that they were haveing absolutely no fun whatsoever. hmm weird

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 am

jimbeau wrote:don't be surprised if people come to the game with the intention of undermining it, I often have people who come in saying..."I love Full Thrust so everything you do is going to make me unhappy" well they don't say that, but you get the idea.

I once had two guys who seemed to revel in the fact that they were haveing absolutely no fun whatsoever. hmm weird

That's just completely sad. Why in the hell would you 'waste' your 4 hours (and money) to waste my four hours? I just can't believe that people would come and bad mouth a different game system instead of PLAYING in the game system they like (actually, I can and that's the sad part). Thanks for the heads up though. Since I don't have any tact these days, this could get interesting...

With BSG, I'm pretty much going to deal with a single ship per player (maybe 2 if I can find enough battlestars) and a bunch of fighters. I don't think there will any way around that one. I am going to limit the number of specials, but that is a big part of the appeal to me, so newbies be warned...

jimbeau wrote:use cinematic movement unless you're better at explaining the crazy movement system than I am

I'm going to "attempt" to explain the movement system with the caveat: "Pick where you want to go (and the facing you want) and then determine if you have enough thrust to get there using this handy-dandy chart". People will be confused as hell until they figure out that they can go to any hex on the board, but it will cost them MPs.

-Bren

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 pm

naybe with the BSG you can use a large terrain feature as the BSG and small ships as the fighters?? kind of bringing the scale down a notch?

that make sense?

bsgscenario.png

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:14 am

That would be an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I could make a large scale version of a BSG ship and do it justice (~1 to 2 feet). Of course, if I go for 'scale' the battlestar would be 60 inches long. Cool fight, but I'm not sure how to transport that!

You did remind me of an idea. It's just too bad that I already summited my BSG game or I would change it!
-Bren

Return to “Conventions”