Origins 09

Playing together with our little guys
thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Origins 09

Postby thedugan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 pm

jygro wrote:That would be an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I could make a large scale version of a BSG ship and do it justice (~1 to 2 feet). Of course, if I go for 'scale' the battlestar would be 60 inches long. Cool fight, but I'm not sure how to transport that!

Box truck, I'm thinking <rim shot>

Like those giant full scale robot things that the folks from Heavy Gear did.....
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:08 am

I was reading that the original battlestar model for the show in the '70s was 5 feet long. I did a couple of model kit searches for some, but I have yet to turn up any. I know they exist since they were used at Gencon from Full Thrust games.

-Bren

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 am

With Origins two weeks away, I really need to get in gear for the Starmada game. I purchased a Hotz mat, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm definitely getting worried.

Does anyone (Jim or Dan) have a convention cheet sheet that I might use/borrow/steal? I'll make up one if I have to, but I think it will be easier if I just borrow one from someone...

-Bren

GhengisRexx
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby GhengisRexx » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Worldworks games makes a donwloadable pdf map that is gorgeous. You have to print cut and mount it. Its a bit of work but the download is $17, Mats are 4 pieces of foamcore board, glue and cardstock. I made one in a few hours.

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 am

Origins is off for me this year. (wah, boo hiss)

I simply do not have the time in June to do it. I'm out of office almost the entire month of july (I'm going to CANADA! woot)

So, that means I have to do stuff with my own family and NOT make Origins this year, which makes me sad.

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:04 pm

jimbeau wrote:Origins is off for me this year. (wah, boo hiss)

I simply do not have the time in June to do it. I'm out of office almost the entire month of july (I'm going to CANADA! woot)

So, that means I have to do stuff with my own family and NOT make Origins this year, which makes me sad.

Seriously?!? My entire Origin's plan is in shambles. It's my yearly game of For the Masses! I mean, it's even with the designer... My hopes and dreams are in ruins! RUINS!

On a side note, enjoy Canada. I'm a bit worried about Origins honestly. Many of the game companies are not going and the game numbers are way down. I wonder if there is DOOM in the air.

Are you planning on going to Gencon?
-Bren

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:29 pm

well, funny story there...

each of the three years I went to Gencon something terrible hapened to my family. I fear GenCon is trying to kill me.

I probably won't go this year because of that.

jygro
Captain
Captain

Origins 09 - Recap

Postby jygro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Now that Origins is a week in the past and I finally got caught up on all the needed stuff to do, I'm glad to write up a little report. I ran the starmada: BSG game twice. The first game had 2 players and after explaining the rules, things were on. Each player had two ships and the scenario was simple - beat the tar of the other fleet. Due to some good positioning by the Colonial forces, both Baseships were destroyed with minor damage to the Pegasus.

You can see some pictures at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/506327

The second game had 6 registered players (and I had to turn a generic away) and it was a much different battle. Due to some bad placement by the colonials and some awesome nuclear strikes (RNG 18, 1/4+/1/3; area effect, piercing +1, & no range mods) from the Cylons, the Atlantia was destroyed and the Pegasus had some serious damage (no weapons were functional and only ~5 hull boxes left) when we had to call it.

All ships were in the 1000 VP range and it looks like people were having a good time. Quite entertaining that the game went 1-1. Since this is the first time I ever ran something at a game convention, I learned some valuable stuff (like have a sign or something and also a business card with the website to name and a few).

Interesting fact: I didn't have a felt hex map for the convention - the HOTZ map not arriving until after Origins, but thankfully Ken from Ad Astra games was selling some so I could look like I knew what I was doing!

Thanks for everyone that played, it was a blast. I'm working on the mark 2 ships as we speak and will probably post something soon!

-Bren

ToddW
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby ToddW » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 pm

I played in the first scenario and it was great fun, even though I was on the losing side. Bren's terrain was neat and added just enough complexity. Also his ship displays were top notch.

Return to “Conventions”