MJ12 Con?

Playing together with our little guys
jygro
Captain
Captain

MJ12 Con?

Postby jygro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:10 pm

The question that I have (and been wanting to do it for ages now), is when are we going to have a MJ12 Con? With all the cool and exciting games, you would think that we could have a convention all to ourselves like some other game companies do.

Who would be up for one?

Back to not cleaning my house...
-Bren

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm game for that, but where would it be? we are all of us spread all over the world!

I vote for Bloomington IL, the birthplace of Starmada X!

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:46 pm

jimbeau wrote:I vote for Bloomington IL, the birthplace of Starmada X!

Or, more appropriately, down the road in Champaign, IL, birthplace of Starmada itself.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

jimbeau
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jimbeau » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm

well, okay, I guess, champaigns farther from ME tho

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 am

Great idea and all, but at this point, I'm thinking that we'd all be pretty much meeting in someone's garage....
:D

I suppose we could pass the hat to raise the rent money or something....sell tickets before-hand, perhaps.
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:31 pm

thedugan wrote:Great idea and all, but at this point, I'm thinking that we'd all be pretty much meeting in someone's garage....
:D

I suppose we could pass the hat to raise the rent money or something....sell tickets before-hand, perhaps.

Not necessarily. Let say we assume ~30 people will show up to MJ CON I. If that is the case, we would need space for 6 to 8 tables. That would easily fit into a modest hotel conference room. Now since we aren't sure how many will actually want to go to play hordes of MJ12 games at a convention, lets make it a Saturday (all day) and Sunday (morning) event skipping the Friday before. Plus, since we are blocking rooms at the hotel for the convention, there might be a discount for the conference room.

Okay, we make the fee for the full convention ~25 dollars. Assuming those 30 people from above, that's 750 dollars for the rental space which should cover the room for those two days (a conference room shouldn't cost more than 300 to 400 dollars for the day). Now we just need committed MJ12 fans to come out for a weekend of Starmada, Defiance, Grand Fleets (I'll be playing Jim's For the Masses that he would hopefully be putting on - and I'm bring The Grid & Powersled Circuit for pickup games).

Just thinkin' out loud here...
-Bren
PS. Wishful thinking: MJ12 Con I - April '08?

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:05 pm

It's cheaper in some places if you can rent space at the local fair ground. We did a convention early 90's for two years where we had about 3500 square feet of game space for less than $400 for the weekend. While not as posh as a hotel...we had a lot less crowding of games. Including a full blown laser tag arena. *WEG*
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

tabascojunkie
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby tabascojunkie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:47 pm

I'd LOVE an MJ12 Con. Finally someone to play Starmada with.

Whether I can go would depend on where it is.

Return to “Conventions”